• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI K9A2 - GIGABYTE MA790FX-DS5 - Phenom 9600 BE Problems

PTECH

I am getting very close to chucking this motherboard out the window! I stripped it bare and used an old card to enable the monitor. I reset the BIOS and then I implemented the BIOS update and it still is freezing. I now know that the fault is not being caused by the video card, therefore the fault must lie with the board. The only thing I can think of doing is trying to take screen shots but there is no guarantee that the machine will stay on long enough for me to do that. I will try safe mode before this but as so much stuff is disabled in safe mode I'd say it will just last about 5 minutes longer before crashing.

Did you notice the note about the Bios update. It states "Load Optimized Defaults" Also, go into the memory section and make sure your memory is Ganged, not Unganged. Set all your memory to "auto" Set your date and time as Vista does not like it when it say's 1/1/2000. You can set your CPU multiplier to 9 or 11 but I would not try tweaking anything else. You still might have memory issues as that problem has not been resolved by Gigabyte. Are you sure your board is not grounded somewhere? I will go and review your setup one more time to see if were mssing something.

PTECH

Do you have other memory that you can try? Go down the street and borrow your buddies if not.:D

consaka

MB problems

I would like to know what the system says the cpu heat is. It really sounds like something is getting hot. like the cpu maybe.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
Using standoffs/washers for the motherboard mounts? That makes it do all kinds of fun things if you don't ;)

Eoghan Mag

Okay so far today the board has earned a reprise. I have it running in safe mode for the past 4 hours and it is running a Windows XP tour and no freezes. But there is no sound. So at a guess there is a software/driver conflict somewhere. This is the first time it has gone a really long period without any crashes. After about 6 hours I will be much more confident.

Eoghan Mag

I did a double check on the way I was updating the BIOS and decided to follow the flash utility method outlined in the Gigabyte manual. After doing so the POST said the update was successful but just stalled and would not load. I turned off and reloaded and ended up with a bluescreen with a message about a physical memory dump. Is this caused by prior windows updates? I am really at a loss now how to solve this problem.

There does seem to be overheating in the CPU as I was getting a flashing warning symbol when I previously ran the EasyTune 5 Pro program.

Eoghan Mag

I have this motherboard working reasonably OK at the minute. A number of different problems manifested themselves with the installation. The advice in the manual says to set up with the graphic card onboard prior to booting, this is all well and fine if your card comes with a clear manual but in my case this was not so. After a lot of searching around the net I discovered that a cable was missing from the card. I needed a PCI Express Molex Power Adapter.
(This cable allows you to convert a standard molex power connector on your existing power supply to a 6-pin PCI Express video card power connector.) Once I had this connected up the card reacted in a proper manner. The old card I had used in the meantime was far too old and the video suffered. I could in no way play DVDs with the old card. I solved the problem of the control panel 'flying off' the screen by merely reinstalling Windows XP.

I had to leave the TV card out so far as there is a major driver conflict there that I cannot solve. The card will not affect the system once it is seated in, but the drivers cause an immediate freeze even when the drivers are attempting to download.

DVDs are now playing fine, as are CDs. I have a number of older games that so far I have installed and these seem to work fine, but all 3 of my newer games are experiencing immediate screen distortion (multiple horizonal lines) and I don't know if this is a a monitor problem as opposed to a video card fault. The monitor is a small old cathode ray tube style one made by Philips. The monitor cannot display in 1024 by 768 pixels as recommended by one game. The games in question are Dreamfall, Spellforce 2 Gold Edition and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I have yet to try any overclocking. I am just glad to have a stable system.

SNeaKY_BuGGeR

I really do not understand why you are using such a great MoBo with such antiquated ancilliaries. You need the latest equipment to connect to this MoBo as well as the knowledge to set it up correctly.
It really does seem to me that you do not really know what you are doing!

I have this MoBo I installed it in less than 40minutes and it runs superbly. If I tried to plug it to a crappy old crt monitor and some second hand rubbish DVD-RW optical drive I would expect it to shudder to a halt too.

Get a NEW DVD ram Optical drive and FFS download ALL of the latest drivers for the MoBo. I do this religously BEFORE I try to do a full install or play any DVD's etc and especially games.
The whole point of this MoBo is that it should be connected to SATA had drives to get the best out of it. I suppose that you have it connected with IDE cables to a 2000rpm HDD!

What you are doing is trying to use a Rolls Royce as a Tractor!

I install the OS on one Hard drive, then I will go online and install all of the latest BIOS, Drivers etc for everything and when I have the system up and running correctly I will then install and run some games.

You seem to be the one that is causing yout own issues. So If I were I would get someone that knows what they are doing to set up your computer because you will no doubt ruin a superb motherboard because you are doing everything back to front or upside down!

Last edited:

Eoghan Mag

SNeaKY BuGGeR if I didn't make mistakes then I could hardly learn from the mistakes. By using some older devices I have established that they have limited compatibility with this board. On the other hand as most people here will attest to it often helps to have certain old parts available to establish where problems lie. I will in time upgrade certain parts but the majority of the system is new.

PuMA

Processor lapped C2D e6850, 3600mhz
Motherboard ASUS P5N32-E SLI (680i SLI)
Cooling NOCTUA NH-U9, 3 2x120mm 1x180mm case fans
Memory 6GB A-DATA vitesta DDR2 900mhz (2x1gb + 2x2gb)
Video Card(s) LEASTEK GTX 260 (701/1408/1105)
Storage SAMSUNG F1 640GB SATAII/SEAGATE 250gb SATAII
Display(s) SAMSUNG 226BW 1680x1050 2ms
Case ANTEC three hundred
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX, SONY surround AMP
Power Supply XION 630W
Software VISTA ULTIMATE x64
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06:15126 (701/1408/1105) vantage: 11698
I really do not understand why you are using such a great MoBo with such antiquated ancilliaries. You need the latest equipment to connect to this MoBo as well as the knowledge to set it up correctly.
It really does seem to me that you do not really know what you are doing!

I have this MoBo I installed it in less than 40minutes and it runs superbly. If I tried to plug it to a crappy old crt monitor and some second hand rubbish DVD-RW optical drive I would expect it to shudder to a halt too.

Get a NEW DVD ram Optical drive and FFS download ALL of the latest drivers for the MoBo. I do this religously BEFORE I try to do a full install or play any DVD's etc and especially games.
The whole point of this MoBo is that it should be connected to SATA had drives to get the best out of it. I suppose that you have it connected with IDE cables to a 2000rpm HDD!

What you are doing is trying to use a Rolls Royce as a Tractor!

I install the OS on one Hard drive, then I will go online and install all of the latest BIOS, Drivers etc for everything and when I have the system up and running correctly I will then install and run some games.

You seem to be the one that is causing yout own issues. So If I were I would get someone that knows what they are doing to set up your computer because you will no doubt ruin a superb motherboard because you are doing everything back to front or upside down!

thats really unnecessary, obviously eoghan man is not as experienced as u are, and i see no point in getting upset if he has some difficulties lol.

eoghan, if all runs fine now, great , if not i would look into the 24pin power connector problem. these days majority of the mobos needs all 24pin connected.

PTECH

thats really unnecessary, obviously eoghan man is not as experienced as u are, and i see no point in getting upset if he has some difficulties lol.

eoghan, if all runs fine now, great , if not i would look into the 24pin power connector problem. these days majority of the mobos needs all 24pin connected.

I strongly agree with you. Sneaky did not need to go off on someone trying to solve a problem. As Eoghan stated, he is learning and if he wants to blow his own stuff up. More power to him. I remember the first time I hooked up hard drives 20+ years ago. I smoked them but never did it again. Five years from now maybe Eoghan will have his own PC shop. What's life without mistakes? boring.

SNeaKY_BuGGeR

Having re-read my post I humbly apologise. I must have been having a bad day indeed when I wrote that post.. Sorry Eoghan. I should have been far more patient.:shadedshu

halomez

9850 Black Edition

Heads up to any brave souls who want to use the Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 with the Phenom 9850 Black Edition. Mine didn't run stable (even underclocked) until I used the 8-pin EPS connector on my Rosewill RX850-D-B power supply. So I had to use the 20+4 pin ATX in addition to the 8-pin EPS. I tried the 20+4+4 pin ATX but I had sporatic hang-ups and blue problems.

The 9850 isn't in the CPU compatibility list, but I have it and it does work with the recent BIOS updates.

SNeaKY_BuGGeR

Talk about state the obvious. Well of course it will not run properly without the proper connection connected to the motherboard. Godnees gracious me! It does have a 125W rating. It also has four cores that need power to them so yes as expected it would need the correct connector.

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
So you know, that motherboard doesn't recognize any DDR2 1066 RAM on stock BIOS. It also has trouble with some DDR2 800/667 RAM, but after the BIOS update, all is well.

I'm having trouble with GA-MA790FX-DS5 since I got it.
Overclocking is very limited (DDR locked at 400Mhz).

Can you tell me which BIOS made it "all is well" ?

I have F5 BIOS and cannot upgrade to F6 because update tools tell me "bios id check failed".

Cheers,