1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI R9 280 (not X) possibility of overclocking?????

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by mingolito, May 28, 2014.

1. mingolito New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, sorry for my english wrong..I need your help...I have a card MSI R9 280 (NOT X) GAMING 3G...there is some possibility upgrade bios to unlockvoltage..
    so that we can do a little 'overclocking with Afterburner....:shadedshu:Thanks!!!!!!:)

2. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

You would not need to upgrade the BIOS to unlock the voltage - there is a setting in Afterburner that unlocks the ability to alter the voltage. But for a small amount of overclocking, I don't think you really need to play around with the voltage. Just open up Afterburner, move the sliders by a small amount for GPU clock speed, and a small amount for memory frequency, and there's your overclock.

Layton

Jurijs says thanks.
  3. mingolito New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. LaytonJnr

LaytonJnr

Thanks Received:
    The R9 280 does not have the same VRM overheating issue, so you are perfectly fine for overclocking without updating the BIOS. :)

Layton

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    neliz says thanks.
  5. neliz

neliz

Thanks Received:
    ^this, The professor is right!

LaytonJnr says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. mingolito New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks you are the best:peace:

7. rubenalf New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can upload your bios please?

hey guys am running AMD 8 core processor 16gb ram and the MSI 280 with oc(not x) window7 on running performance all the time .. and just with the MSI afterburner overclock never been so easy and safe!!! no need to mess with voltage .
    it takes time since u wanna be sure the setup u running wont affect the PC .. am new to the forum i will post pictures on replys .. to see what u guys think of my set up ... thanKS

MSI OC on silent mode -450mhz on gaming -1150mhz on OC-1355
    and well overclock memory get some good numbers too and all this on GPU temperature on 55%

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2014
  8. Jurijs

Jurijs New Member

Thanks Received:

how this is real? Here r9 280x all the time over 70c without OC!!

HOOOW?

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Ask fullinfusion

10. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Decrepit Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You will only be able to unlock voltage control in MSI Afterburner if the card has a programmable software voltage controller that is not locked, some do and some don't, before you attempt to mess around with a Bios try the Afterburner route that has been suggested, chances are that if you cannot unlock it in there your stuffed anyway. If you can unlock voltage control in afterburner and you are adamant you wish to play with voltages (only do so if you have some experience, or a least get guidance off someone who knows what they are talking about) and you want a more perminent solution than afterburner you may then be able to use VBE7 to simply modify your existing Bios voltage, but as I said, if you have no experience you are probably best to leave well alone!

10 Year Member at TPU