• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z170 Gaming M Series Motherboards Pictured

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Canonlake is just a process shrink (10nm I think) of Skylake. Skylake is a new architecture made for 14nm.

Broadwell CPU performance is only 5% better than Haswell. GPU performance is quite a bit improved in Broadwell.

"The speed boost for productivity applications like Word and Excel in the new Core chips is up by only 4 percent when compared to Haswell chips. That’s lower than expected, as Intel’s CPU performance usually improves by between 10 percent to 30 percent with each new processor architecture."

Same link as above:
"Tablets like Microsoft’s Surface Pro 3 are equipped with full-blown Core i chips based on Haswell. But the likelihood of such tablets getting Broadwell-based Core i chips is low. Tablets usually have chips that draw less than 10 watts of power, and the new Core i chips consume 15 watts of power and more, making them unsuitable for tablets."

Most of Broadwell's process improvements went to the GPU, not the CPU. If you're running a discreet GPU Broadwell can scarcely be considered an upgrade to Haswell...

...guess what HEDT is...

If Intel is pushing forward with Broadwell-E they better have fixed the issues with it or it will flop.

wait for Canonlake (as i will do)... Skylake is not a upgrade for the moment ... (well depend what you have in your rig ... depending on what ... you might want to change your forum name to iCanonlaker :p )
I actually have nothing to upgrade from, so Skylake is the best platform for me or is the perf/watt ratio I'm looking for. I also don't plan to wait more than two months to get a gaming build running, no way I'd be waiting for Cannonlake.

D

Deleted member 138597

Canonlake is just a process shrink (10nm I think) of Skylake. Skylake is a new architecture made for 14nm.

Broadwell CPU performance is only 5% better than Haswell. GPU performance is quite a bit improved in Broadwell.

"The speed boost for productivity applications like Word and Excel in the new Core chips is up by only 4 percent when compared to Haswell chips. That’s lower than expected, as Intel’s CPU performance usually improves by between 10 percent to 30 percent with each new processor architecture."

Same link as above:
"Tablets like Microsoft’s Surface Pro 3 are equipped with full-blown Core i chips based on Haswell. But the likelihood of such tablets getting Broadwell-based Core i chips is low. Tablets usually have chips that draw less than 10 watts of power, and the new Core i chips consume 15 watts of power and more, making them unsuitable for tablets."

Most of Broadwell's process improvements went to the GPU, not the CPU. If you're running a discreet GPU Broadwell can scarcely be considered an upgrade to Haswell...

...guess what HEDT is...

If Intel is pushing forward with Broadwell-E they better have fixed the issues with it or it will flop.

But actually our cries reach them (intel) very sluggishly. Maybe after Broadwell-E release, they'll scour through forums and think Broadwell-E wasn't a good idea, and Skylake-E should've been better, and then they'll "tantalize" enthusiasts' tummy with some "Rage Canyon" version. :rolleyes: