• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z170A GAMING M9 ACK LGA1151 SLI and M.2 Raid 0

hakandelight

Is SLI and m.2 SSD Raid 0 possible on this motherboard, or any motherboard out there?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Is SLI and m.2 SSD Raid 0 possible on this motherboard, or any motherboard out there?
The cards will run in 8x/8x and are fed from the cpu. You need to find a board that will give you the full pcie 4x 32gbps out of both.

Then I ask, why are you doing such a thing? You transfer large files a lot?

The cards will run in 8x/8x and are fed from the cpu. You need to find a board that will give you the full pcie 4x 32gbps out of both.

Z170 chipset provides 20 additional PCI-E gen 3.0 lanes , so technicaly it is possible but whether implemented

Well aware. Some boards offer two m.2 slots, however both don't run at the full bandwidth. ;)

hakandelight

Yes i do a lot of media related work transferring 4K resolution videos, just wondering if there are any baord out there where i can utilise maximum speed out of both SLI and the M2 SSDs

To answer your original question, your board does support raid through the m.2 slots, however when using both, only one has the full bandwidth while the other will not.

Look at the specs of your board at the msi website. The first red line in the storage section.

Edit: the Xpower looks to? Perhaps email them...

Oc formula doesnt..

Last edited:
It doesn't explicitly say RAID for m.2 though, only sata.

Though a review says it can RAID.. so. there's that!

Please edit your posts so you don't double post. :)

Last edited:
It doesn't explicitly say RAID for m.2 though, only sata.

Though a review says it can RAID.. so. there's that!

Please edit your posts so you don't double post. :)
They say (Asrock Z170 OC Formula

3 SATA Express, 10 SATA3, 3 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)

Tell me something I don't know.

I commented about the specifications not explicitly mentioning RAID support on the M.2 slots...

... then after reading a review, it says it does.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Tell me something I don't know.

I commented about the specifications not explicitly mentioning RAID support on the M.2 slots...

... then after reading a review, it says it does.
It does, but ASROck's media stuff had pics of M.2 using the U.2_KIT to add in 3x Intel 750 PCIe SSDs.
I'm not sure that the U.2_KIT device is required.

ASRock never did decide to send me that board, and sent other stuff for me to review instead, so I haven't been able to test. But it makes sense to me if all M.2 are over PCIe, then RAID is possible, IF,(big if) BIOS supports it correctly.

It does, but ASROck's media stuff had pics of M.2 using the U.2_KIT to add in 3x Intel 750 PCIe SSDs.
I'm not sure that the U.2_KIT device is required.

ASRock never did decide to send me that board, and sent other stuff for me to review instead, so I haven't been able to test. But it makes sense to me if all M.2 are over PCIe, then RAID is possible, IF,(big if) BIOS supports it correctly.
That's the point I am trying to get across here... some boards have two with one not an 'ultra' slot. Some have two that are ultra and cannot RAID. Some have two(+) that are ultra and can RAID.