• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Multiple users on multiple workstations with one computer?

kodex

Processor AMD X2 4600+ @ 2.52 GHZ
Motherboard ECS AMD690GM-M2
Cooling Stock
Memory 2 x 1GB WINTEC AMPO
Video Card(s) eVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked
Storage Western Digital Caviar WD2500KS 250GB
Display(s) LG L196WTQ 19" Widescreen
Case Atrix CSCI-G8022C-C43
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Xclio Stablepower 460W
Software Windows XP Pro SP2 32-bit / Windows Vista Buisness 32-bit
A while ago, someone posted on a different forum about how they had a setup where one computer could be used by multiple people with separate monitors, keyboards, mice, etc. A program allowed each person to have a fully-functional workstation, with each person able to open, close, and run their own programs. As it now stands, this program could really come in handy for me. Does anyone know any programs that do this?

P

Ptep

I think you might be confusing yourself with something called Terminal Services, although this requires a Windows Server operating system, and more than one computer - it does allow for multiple users 'desktops' to be stored on the main machine.
As far as connecting more than one monitor, keyboard/mouse etc im not sure its possible, certainly not on windows xp or vista as they allow for no more than one user to be logged in at the same time (ignoring fast user switching, thats still not truly simultaneous like it would be on terminal services).

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.8GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte X48T-DQ6
Cooling Zalman 9500 LED CPU Cooler
Memory 2x 2GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 DHX - 1600MH/PC3-12800
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD4870 1GB
Storage 2x Seagate 320GB Barracuda (RAID 0) 3x 1TB Samsung F3, 140GB WD Maxtor (10,000rpm)
Display(s) 2x 20" LG Flatron L204WS
Power Supply Powercool 850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Maybe thin clients?

Betwin, and they finally support Vista 64bit. Basically you add a monitor+keyboard/mouse and you have a separate workstation. They support up to 4 additional stations or something.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Might have been me?

I was using software from Thinsoft to have multiple users on a PC.

Edit: Not quick enough ;)

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Thanks to Dan and Jizzler for the links to thinsoft. Interesting. However, what platform do the clients run on? I looked (quickly) at the website and that information wasnt obvious.

Seems expensive if I have to run XP on the clients plus the thinsoft fees... since doesnt it also run foul or at least in the greyzone of the licensing of any application that you are running on the host? Most are single user or single installation (meaning single instance)... does 21 remote desktop application instances with 21 separate unique users fall foul of the original application license you are trying to host-thinclient?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks to Dan and Jizzler for the links to thinsoft. Interesting. However, what platform do the clients run on? I looked (quickly) at the website and that information wasnt obvious.

Seems expensive if I have to run XP on the clients plus the thinsoft fees... since doesnt it also run foul or at least in the greyzone of the licensing of any application that you are running on the host? Most are single user or single installation (meaning single instance)... does 21 remote desktop application instances with 21 separate unique users fall foul of the original application license you are trying to host-thinclient?

I only ran it for a short period of time, testing it for possible use at my last job. Also it wasn't a client/host setup, just the host with two sets of kb/mouse/monitor. I had one user doing a 3DMark run while the other did web/email/office tasks. Ran fine but we ended up sticking with a standard PC per person setup.

This is great for coffee houses or the home where you just want to split off a couple "web" terminals from the main machine.

Technically there are no clients. Just the host. Basically it's the same as fast user switching with the major difference of logged on users being able to work simultaneously using a second (third, fourth, fifth) set of monitor/keyboard/mouse and optionally sound. So it's not that expensive considering the hardware you're saving. I've been wanting to use it like a year ago though they didn't support Vista x64 nor had any plans to do so. (I contacted them) I'm still not sure if both clients can run a full screen DX application though, which would of course be interesting.

P

Ptep

Technically there are no clients. Just the host. Basically it's the same as fast user switching with the major difference of logged on users being able to work simultaneously using a second (third, fourth, fifth) set of monitor/keyboard/mouse and optionally sound. So it's not that expensive considering the hardware you're saving. I've been wanting to use it like a year ago though they didn't support Vista x64 nor had any plans to do so. (I contacted them) I'm still not sure if both clients can run a full screen DX application though, which would of course be interesting.

Interesting, had not seen this myself, didnt think it was possible... I stand corrected!