• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

my computer restarts itself during playing

john34

i just upgraded to geforce 8800gs and overclocked it little bit but while playing crysis my computer reboots itself. i wonder if its power issue. but i have 550 watt psu with 30A max. what do u think????

it mostly needs 30amp or more i fried my vga with a to low amp

System Name NINJA ASSASSIN
Processor Intel Core i5 2500 @ 3.3GHz
Motherboard Asrock H61M/U3S3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 760 4GB
Storage WD Green 1TB :: WD Green 2TB
Display(s) 32" Teac LED TV
Case BitFenix Shinobi w/ Window
Audio Device(s) Creative SB VX 5.1
Power Supply XFX PRO 650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
john34 - The thing is, you can have a 550w PSU and then you can have a 'True' 550w PSU.

Sorry if I'm treating you like a total noob but basically if you have a generic branded PSU it might say 550w on it but thats the max output or peak .. this is used upon start up of your system I believe. The actual rating of it may only be something like 400w or so ... not 100% how it all works .. and probs every brand is different.

Hang on .. I probs should've asked what PSU you currently have ??

Like I said above it may not be a 'True' 550w PSU .. I had a 400w PSU and popped in a 9800XT back in the day and it would boot fine, but when I would run anything 3D it would restart. The same thing happened a while later when I upgraded to the X1900XT.

You can see my current setup in my Specs list. It runs like a Kenyan :p
<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited:

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
john34 - The thing is, you can have a 550w PSU and then you can have a 'True' 550w PSU.

Sorry if I'm treating you like a total noob but basically if you have a generic branded PSU it might say 550w on it but thats the max output or peak .. this is used upon start up of your system I believe. The actual rating of it may only be something like 400w or so ... not 100% how it all works .. and probs every brand is different.

Hang on .. I probs should've asked what PSU you currently have ??

Like I said above it may not be a 'True' 550w PSU .. I have a 450w PSU and popped in a 9800XT back in the day and it would boot fine, but when I would run anything 3D it would restart. The same thing happened a while later when I upgraded to the X1900XT.

You can see my current setup in my Specs list. It runs like a Kenyan :p
<<<<<<<<<<<

i dont think its as clear cut as a "true" 550w and a "fake" 550w.. the wattage of psu's is highly controversial. factors:

temperature: you'll get more power out of a psu at a lower temperature then a higher temperature. a lot of times, companies get their label stats from testing the psu at sub zero temperatures, so that a 400w psu will actually perform at the level of a 550w, but when it comes to operating at normal temperatures, the psu fails

another thing is peak wattage vs continous wattage: some brands put their peak wattage in the stats, at these levels the psu can only operate for a few seconds before dying. whereas some list the continous wattage, the highest wattage the psu can operate normally at without taking damage.

finnaly, the amperage: its becoming more and more common for people to look at the amperage of the 12v rail of a psu more then the wattage, and the reason is that the wattage of the psu is derived from the wattage of each rail. sometimes, psu companies put much more amperage in the rails that are hardly used, like the 3v rail, so that the wattage of the psu is much higher, because it has a lot of juice on the 3v rail, but that juice will never be used, whereas the psu will have a lot of trouble supplying power on the 12v rail, a rail that most every pc component uses.

this is why you dont pick up a random cheap psu.. because first off, if it doesn't end up frying your system in a few days of usage, it will definently not be able to serve up all of the stats promised on the label.

whereas, a high quality psu, such as the pc power and cooling psus, actually state that the psu will perform at 750w under the conditions of 50C and how much amps are able to pass through one rail as well as how much the whole voltage level can supply in total. pc power and cooling psus also have the maximum continous wattage as the main label stats, but they also state the peak wattage for each psu as well. this way, you know exactly what you're getting out of the psu, which is a very high quality psu made by seasonic.

Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Like I said ... not a pro lol.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Like I said ... not a pro lol.

neither am i :) i just wanted to elaborate on what you said :toast:

its most likely psu failure because gaming puts a lot of load on the gpu, which is overclocked in this case. i would recommend getting a nice new psu such as the corsair 620w psu :toast::toast:

Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

its most likely psu failure because gaming puts a lot of load on the gpu, which is overclocked in this case. i would recommend getting a nice new psu such as the corsair 620w psu :toast::toast:

LOL no worries :toast:

Nice choice on the PSU btw.

OR

Just to be safe grab one of these babies Power Supply for the Power Hungry

Have you have read any videocard reviews on this site? Look at peak power consumption of the whole system. 550W is far more than required. If it is the PSU it's either a very crappy $30 PSU or it is defective.

I would first rule out software issues, try a clean install on a seperate disk if you have one lying around. Can you test other hardware in other systems?

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Have you have read any videocard reviews on this site? Look at peak power consumption of the whole system. 550W is far more than required. If it is the PSU it's either a very crappy $30 PSU or it is defective.

I would first rule out software issues, try a clean install on a seperate disk if you have one lying around. Can you test other hardware in other systems?

i have read most of the reviews on the site and i know the peak power consumption, but the symptoms are quite indicative of psu failure and thats my bet, but of course it could be many other things, but just saying, its probably a crappy psu that cant handle it.

i have read most of the reviews on the site and i know the peak power consumption, but the symptoms are quite indicative of psu failure and thats my bet, but of course it could be many other things, but just saying, its probably a crappy psu that cant handle it.

What symptoms? There is only one, reboots during gaming. Plus the GPU is overclocked, you recommend buying new hardware before trying things at stock for example? Not something I support.

panchoman

Sold my stars!
What symptoms? There is only one, reboots during gaming. Plus the GPU is overclocked, you recommend buying new hardware before trying things at stock for example? Not something I support.

i just said that i believe that the problem is most likely psu failure, and many others agree with me in this thread, i never said that it couldn't be drivers or anything on the software end... just speculating as to what i think it is, and i may be right, i may not, cant say anything without more information from the op

i just said that i believe that the problem is most likely psu failure, i never said that it couldn't be drivers or anything on the software end... just speculating as to what i think it is, and i may be right, i may not, cant say anything without more information from the op

I never suggested you didn't. Just finding it odd that you can actually recommend replacing hardware and spending a decent amount of money based on a single symptom. While there is close to no other information given. And the information that is given suggests very obvious things, like running the card at stock. Takes a minute and costs nothing. I see no base to recommend anything else unless there is more information.

Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

LOL :rockout:

panchoman

Sold my stars!
I never suggested you didn't. Just finding it odd that you can actually recommend replacing hardware and spending a decent amount of money based on a single symptom. While there is close to no other information given. And the information that is given suggests very obvious things, like running the card at stock. Takes a minute and costs nothing. I see no base to recommend anything else unless there is more information.

i suggested psu failure and recommend a solution to that if that was the case. like i said, i cant say for sure if its psu failure untill the op supplies more information. why am i being forced to repeat the same stuff to you again and again?

i suggested psu failure and recommend a solution to that if that was the case. like i said, i cant say for sure if its psu failure untill the op supplies more information. why am i being forced to repeat the same stuff to you again and again?

You're not. You simply decide to ignore my arguments and respond to my disagreement instead. While it's the arguments you should be responding to, in which case you wouldn't be repeating anything. Besides that you're suggesting I'm saying things which I don't.

its most likely psu failure because gaming puts a lot of load on the gpu, which is overclocked in this case. i would recommend getting a nice new psu such as the corsair 620w psu

Now you add "if that was the case". Which makes a huge difference to what you're saying.

No need to get offensive to me either.

john34

please guys can you take a look at my PSU spec? I use AcBel PS2/550W. you can get the spec from AcBel website. i use core 2 duo e4500 overclocked to 2.98ghz, 2 hard drives running at 7200RPM, 2GB of ram and an overclocked 8800GS. do u think that PSU is enough for all of this? please have a look at its spec. thanks.

john34

or tell me what your email so i can send you my PSU specification file.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Run othros prime for a few minutes and see if it errors, I have seen a few machines reboot randomly with processor and ram errors. If orthos is stable for 15-20 minutes you should be good there.

Then it would be off to testing your power supply. Do you have a multimeter by chance?

FYI- When having issues, killing the overclock is always the best first step.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
i just upgraded to geforce 8800gs and overclocked it little bit but while playing crysis my computer reboots itself. i wonder if its power issue. but i have 550 watt psu with 30A max. what do u think????

Does it reboot only when playing a game? Or does it do it whilst burning a DVD or something that loads the CPU a bit?

john34

while playing a game like Crysis. i think this rebooting started to happen after i installed a new driver which is 175.19. when i had 175.16 it looked fine and didnt seem to reboot. it might be due to new driver? is there any tools i can test my power supply?? what do u think of my power supply i posted??? thanks i dont know how to use multimeter :(

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
Well the best way to test your power supply would be to use a multimeter to test the invididual voltages at idle and under load.

As for the drivers its possible.

Try orthos and see if it errors before 20 minutes or so.

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
I'd recommend trying what Dan suggested and set the card to stock speeds to see if it still does the rebooting, if you haven't done that already.

On another note, if setting your card at stock speeds doesn't work. Try uninstalling the 175.19 drivers, and clean them up then revert back to the 175.16 drivers that weren't causing any issues.

Last edited: