1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My HD5830 runs at x8 instead of x16

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by DTAT, Aug 17, 2014.

1. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    I have had this issue for a year. At first i fixed it by reseating video card. But it ran at x8 eventually. I reinstalled my os window 7 sp1 but no luck.

Here are what i tried and failed: get rid of dust of video card slot by using air compressor, clean video card (litterally), reseat both cpu and vga, install latest driver including beta driver, clear cmos.

I even changed a different card (fully working) it still ran at x8. So i guess my mobo (asus p55 chipset, no usb 3.0 no sata3) is malfunctioning.

I installed vga in the first vga slot (16x slot according to manual). So what should i do to make it work again? I am experiencing quite a frame loss in gaming.

Update1: Yesterday i inserted my hd5830 in a spare machine (i3 540, mobo with h55 chipset) and guess what it ran at x16 bandwith without a problem. So can i conclude that my mobo has failed?

P/s: Any advices, suggestion is appreciated. :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    Have you checked for a bent/broken pin on the CPU socket or damage anywhere along the way from CPU to GPU?

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Over tightening a CPU cooler can cause issues like this because the pins on the motherboard won't always make good contacts with the CPU if you over-tighten it or tighten one side more than the others. I've seen this occur with PCI-E slots and with DRAM slots.

4. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    Yes i have. No bent or broken pin found. Also no damage on mobo. Visual inspection :D
    Yeah because of that i had to reseat cpu but no luck so far.

Will try other mobo with my cpu and video card on. I'll update later.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    I have only one video card. Other pci/pcie is not used.

7. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking could it be the cpu fault, not the mobo, socket or pcie slot. Cpu failed to deliver full vga bandwith as it should. Is there a way to test this? By changing to a different cpu maybe. :D

8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Id say its down to either or unless if you can find a spare machine and test that card. Ps it doesnt matter if its a vc or not, if you plug in a pcie board in the second 16x slot (8x bandwidth) the bandwidth of the primary slot will half.

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Id say its down to either or unless if you can find a spare machine and test that card. Ps it doesnt matter if its a vc or not, if you plug in a pcie board in the second 16x slot (8x bandwidth) the bandwidth of the primary slot will half.

10. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    X16/X8 should not affect your frame rate that much. Not enough to notice without benchmarking.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    I insert my video card in a spare pc and it works like charm. x16 v2.0
    P/s: my pc doesn't have any cards inserted in pci/pci-e slot other than 1 video card :D

Unfortunately when i was playing AC IV Black Flag i experienced frame loss quite clearly. At that time i could make it ran at x16 again but now i can't although i used the same method. :D

Same old question: Could cpu fail to deliver full vga bandwith? Cpu malfunctions perhaps.

ps: please read post #1 for an update.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Not with THAT card at least :D

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    PCI-E bandwidth really depends on the game, but more often than not it won't make that much of a difference because the majority of times where a lot of PCI-E bandwidth is used is when textures are being loaded into the GPU's memory when a game starts up.

DTAT says thanks.
  14. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    So from what you're saying i should just ignore pci-e bandwidth cause it didn't matter that much :D

15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    With one card, no. If it's not using the other 8 lanes for a reason, CFX might not work. Did you try running the card in the other PCI-E slot just to see if it would work?

16. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    Yes i did try. It works fine with other 2 pci-e slots (x8 slot and x4 slot) :D

17. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Then I wouldn't worry about it. :)

18. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    Basically, you're telling me to ignore the pci-e bandwidth and let video card runs at x8 although it suppose to do x16. Is GPU-Z giving me false reading? Correct me if i'm wrong :)

19. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Could be. Power saving features sometimes disable PCI-E lanes when the system is idle. What I'm saying is you wouldn't know the difference even if it was running at x16.

DTAT says thanks.
  20. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    So in term of performance i'd play games as usual not much loss frame. I feel at ease now.

Besides i remembered turning of power saving option under bios and OS. Perhaps there is something wrong with cpu built-in pcie controller :)

21. The Mac

Thanks Received:
    how do you know you arent running at x16?

have you used gpu-z and run the benchmark to see if it changes under load?

modern cards/mobos are designed to drop to lowest possible level when idle.

22. DTAT

DTAT

Thanks Received:
    Checked with gpu-z (start render test) and then ran 3D Mark 11 in Xtreme mode. It still shows x8.

But then again its result in 3D Mark 11 (ver 1.03) is fine X1100. There a lot of people with the same video card have similar result to mine. I guess x8 bandwidth doesn't hurt at all :)