• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My Motherboard BIOS option question + my neighbor motherboard broken by pc guy

1:
Hi, so just a quick question. Why does my motherboard ask me "F1 to run setup or F2 to load defaults" after I plug out the power to swap parts etc? Is there an option in the bios to tell it to just continue with the last bios configuration? It's not a problem at all, I'm just asking out of curiosity; my motherboard is working flawlessly and I also installed a most expensive bios battery I could find.

2:
Here's a hilarious one. Recently a neighbor called a pc guy from a local pc service shop, to install a new cpu cooler for his pc. The pc guy installed the cooler and after that there was no post, no reaction to the power button, nothing. The pc guy claimed he had to take out the cmos for the pc to start working again. Does that normally happen that the motherboard is half dead after changing the cpu cooler? Also the pc guy neglected to say he obviously hit the motherboard with a big magnetic screwdriver multiple times while his hands were shaking. When I arrived at the scene of comedy and tragedy, the pc was in a reboot loop, usb ports were failing and loosing contact, and pc guy wrote the bill and ran off almost literally, leaving his screwdriver and a bunch of stuff behind. Since that my neighbors motherboard randomly resets the bios to default when plugged into power, loses contact with usb ports, mouse freezes, etc. Thoughts? Because he is nagging me all the time with that.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Your CMOS battery has run out, replace the CR2032 battery on the motherboard.
It also means that your BIOS/UEFI settings are reset to factory defaults every time your PC loses power.

Your CMOS battery has run out, replace the CR2032 battery on the motherboard.
It also means that your BIOS/UEFI settings are reset to factory defaults every time your PC loses power.
My cmos battery is replaced and new. My neighbors cmos battery is new too.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Did you actually go into the BIOS/UEFI and change some settings and then save it? As if you keep bypassing it, the settings have never been saved after you swapped the battery.

You didn't happen to get a rechargeable 2032 cell by chance? As it might not have high enough Voltage.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Clear cmos, change the battery, start, go into bios, save optimized defaults, exit and press on.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, that should be fine, bog standard battery. The only reason I was asking was because you said it was the most expensive one you could find.
Unfortunately you just wasted a lot of money on something that doesn't matter too much in terms of brand.
Any of the other CR2032 batteries on the Amazon link you posted would've done the job.
Normally CMOS batteries tend to last 3-5 years at a minimum.

Yeah, that should be fine, bog standard battery. The only reason I was asking was because you said it was the most expensive one you could find.
Unfortunately you just wasted a lot of money on something that doesn't matter too much in terms of brand.
Any of the other CR2032 batteries on the Amazon link you posted would've done the job.
Normally CMOS batteries tend to last 3-5 years at a minimum.
I installed that one a month ago. I was the most expensive on in the local shop, and was stated at 225 mAh. All other batteries were 123 - 173 mAh and I didn't want those with low ratings. Is there any better top quality cmos battery you can recommend to me please? I will just ask any local shop if they can import it.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
I installed that one a month ago. I was the most expensive on in the local shop, and was stated at 225 mAh. All other batteries were 123 - 173 mAh and I didn't want those with low ratings. Is there any better top quality cmos battery you can recommend to me please? I will just ask any local shop if they can import it.
Sorry, but what you have is more than good enough. I get whatever they sell in the local 7-11 or some random shop in the computer market.
CMOS batteries are not a thing I've ever really paid too much attention to, as I've never had to since sometime in the 90's, when they weren't standardised.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
1:
Hi, so just a quick question. Why does my motherboard ask me "F1 to run setup or F2 to load defaults" after I plug out the power to swap parts etc? Is there an option in the bios to tell it to just continue with the last bios configuration? It's not a problem at all, I'm just asking out of curiosity; my motherboard is working flawlessly and I also installed a most expensive bios battery I could find.

2:
Here's a hilarious one. Recently a neighbor called a pc guy from a local pc service shop, to install a new cpu cooler for his pc. The pc guy installed the cooler and after that there was no post, no reaction to the power button, nothing. The pc guy claimed he had to take out the cmos for the pc to start working again. Does that normally happen that the motherboard is half dead after changing the cpu cooler? Also the pc guy neglected to say he obviously hit the motherboard with a big magnetic screwdriver multiple times while his hands were shaking. When I arrived at the scene of comedy and tragedy, the pc was in a reboot loop, usb ports were failing and loosing contact, and pc guy wrote the bill and ran off almost literally, leaving his screwdriver and a bunch of stuff behind. Since that my neighbors motherboard randomly resets the bios to default when plugged into power, loses contact with usb ports, mouse freezes, etc. Thoughts? Because he is nagging me all the time with that.
1. Because you swapped parts. This is absolutely normal and has nothing to do with the CMOS battery as the problem is described (if you didn't swap parts, it shouldn't do that and it likely IS the battery).
2. Who knows what is going on there. In that case I would look into a new battery (to prevent BIOS resetting - will not resolve the USB port/mouse freeze thing).

1. If you swap parts ... the BIOS is telling you to make sure the new parts have correct BIOS settings and is properly giving you the opportunity to do so.

2. The 1st thing I look at after new cooler installs is did the installer go into the BIOS and adjust the rpm trigger. The teeny fan that comes on stock cooler or cheap coolers generally spins a lot higher than quality after market coolers. So if the BIOS is set to trigger a stop or other action when rpm is < 1800 ... you will have problems with a new cooler that maxes out at 1200 rpm. Reset it to below the fan speed of the new cooler.

After that unplug / replug remove / reinsert all cables and components ... may have knocked something loose. overtighten the hold down screws

If CMOS lost contact, reset all BIOS settings to default ... ake sure after to check rpm again.

Fonally overtightening the cooler hold down screws may have made a circuit trace contact point intermittent. Loosen the screws a abit to see if it remedies situation.

So my neighbor still has problems - how to fully physically diagnose a mobo? Please tell me what tools should be used.

Low quality post by The Egg
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 DDR4
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CAS16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Ti
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 1440p
Case Silverstone GD-07B
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi+Magni 2 Uber - Sennheiser HD595
Well, the first step is to give people as little information as possible, and then make them drag the info out of you piece by piece. Excellent job so far.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Symptoms, error codes, sound codes if you have a speaker, recent hardware of software changes... You name it. You start depending on the feedback the machine gaves.

So my neighbor still has problems - how to fully physically diagnose a mobo?
Well, the first step is to give people as little information as possible, and then make them drag the info out of you piece by piece. Excellent job so far.
I would like if someone could tell me what physical equipment should be used to physically diagnose a motherboard that is behaving strangely. (About the behavior is another thread, this thread is dedicated to tools.)

I would like if someone could tell me what physical equipment should be used to physically diagnose a motherboard that is behaving strangely. (About the behavior is another thread, this thread is dedicated to tools.)
It probably should be all in one since it's the same subject (troubleshooting/fixing your neighbors mobo issue). ;)

That said... eyes. Look the board over for swollen or broken caps, char marks... reseat and inspect the connections, remove the cpu and inspect the socket for bent pins, etc.

Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 DDR4
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz CAS16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4070 Ti
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70 - 32" 1440p
Case Silverstone GD-07B
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi+Magni 2 Uber - Sennheiser HD595
A digital multi-meter with built-in continuity tester is about it. Beyond that, equipment for testing ICs/chips is going to be too expensive to be worth the investment. Unless you can physically see an anomaly, randomly testing with a multimeter is a hail-mary compared to troubleshooting behavior.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
First of all, strip it to the bare bones i.e just the keyboard and monitor and then make sure there's a tiny speaker on the mobo, if possible because you'll hear beeps and those beeps mean something depending on the BIOS...Phoenix, AMIBios etc
You might not even need the GPU connected depending on the CPU/Mobo combo. The beeps and keyboard response usually tell me if there's a problem i.e no lights on the keyboard (caps lock) and long beeps. Usually, anything more than one beep spells trouble, so disconnect the power and start on the memory one by one.
As for tools, I'll let others comment on that.

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
...That said... eyes. Look the board over for swollen or broken caps...

All the intermittent mobo problems I've had lately have turned out to be Caps.

Look at the tops and bottoms; stuff on the PCB near the bottom of the cap, or the top being swollen will be a sure sign.

If it's over 10 years old, this is likely. :)

My neighbor replaced the bios battery today and reinstaled windows. Same things happening again. What now guys?
Its possible a usb port or controller is going bad.. but there really isnt a way to test it. Did he swap ports? If there are some that use a different controller (check at mobo website spec or manual), swap to it and verify. Are you sure it isnt the mouse? Try another to verify. Basic binary troubleshooting and process of elimination.

Edit: Did you really buy that ~$1200 battery you linked? Wth?

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It is impossible to "fully" diagnose a motherboard these days. To do so requires full schematics and those are never published any more. So even if you have a decent scope or multimeter, without a schematic, you would not know what to expect at any given test point or lead. The factories can do it because they have "mock up" test beds to connect the boards to. But users and even service techs don't.

The best you can is conduct a visual inspection to look for burnt components, leaky or swollen caps.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
When you say behaving strangely, can you be more elaborate? Things to try, fresh windows install on new drive, swap ram, cpu, power supply and video card. If issues persists it's definitely the motherboard, you could try a new bios but that's everything you can do. Others have suggested more elaborate means of finding the fault, please update us on progress.

D

Deleted member 185158

One thing that comes to mind for tools, is a good old fashioned multi-meter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
So my neighbor still has problems - how to fully physically diagnose a mobo? Please tell me what tools should be used.

These are not repairable for 99% of people. Beyond error/beep codes you simply replace not repair.