• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My pc won’t work at all

Ryanbradford08

Before replacing anything ....

1. If performance is the goal, I would not recommend using 1 stick in a dual (dual = 2) channel board. Here's the manual page, check 1st and make sure you are using the correct slots
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/752617/Asrock-B85m-Pro3.html?page=18#manual

2. Take out the RAM, clean contacts on both sticks and slots. Reset CMOS afterwards .....
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/752617/Asrock-B85m-Pro3.html?page=21#manual

a) Remove RAM
b) I use a foam swap dipped in Indigo Extreme Cleaner (90+% isoprpphyl alcohol is a decent substitute).
c) A screen wipe (alcohol based) will work fine on the sticks.
d) Place the jumper on pins 2 and 3 as shown on the image linked above before cleaning. Switch back to pins 1 & 2
e) Insert 2 sticks in slots A2 and B2 per above image
f) Boot and enter BIOS
g) Clear all settings to defaults .... (shouldn't be necessary but many miss getting in the 1st time from being slow on the key press)
h) Save and exit

The pc won’t even turn on though when I do this so I dunno how I can get into bios

System Name Zen
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard GigaByte AMD B550 Vision D
Cooling Artic Freezer 420
Memory 64GB TeamGroup Dark Pro DDR4 3200@3466 CL14-14-14-28-40 CR1 (1.43v)
Video Card(s) GigaByte AMD 6900XT OC
Storage Samsung 980 1Tb & 960 Evo 500Gb / 2x WD SN750 1Tb / 2x Samsung Q5 1Tb / 2x Crucial MX500 1Tb
Display(s) Samsung CRJ379 UltraWide @100hz
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE5
Power Supply Corsair RMX1000
Mouse Corsair Schmictar Pro (Yellow) & MX Master 3S
Keyboard Logitech MX MasterKeys 3 & Logitech MX Craft
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Windows 11 / 365 / WSL
The pc won’t even turn on though when I do this so I dunno how I can get into bios
ok power supply works? you have a tester? Earlier you said you had three beeps now nothing?

Before replacing anything ....

1. If performance is the goal, I would not recommend using 1 stick in a dual (dual = 2) channel board. Here's the manual page, check 1st and make sure you are using the correct slots
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/752617/Asrock-B85m-Pro3.html?page=18#manual

Very good point moving from Dual Channel (2 or 4 Memory dimms) to single channel (Using 1 or 3 dimms or like you were trying to run 1+2+3 / 2+3+4) will half your bandwidth.
This mixed memory modules can cause havoc on memory training.
Looking at the manual A2 + B2 are priority slots for memory.
The other thing re-reading this thread is pointing me towards the CPU being at fault here, so hard to diagnose remotely in a forum. So so more questions ; did you remove the motherboard from the case, if so what happened? as mentioned above is it still beeping? are you using an external GPU? You have definitely re-seated the CPU?

For Testing one stick (Single Channel)

Remove motherboard as mentioned from the chassis and PSU, Use just the CPU & Dimms and nothing else connected (DVD HD SSD NVME USB GPU)
Using first the 1866 Dimm in slot A2.

o Make sure the system is cold of at switch of PSU.
o
Turn on the system what happens? if it beeps then power off, then at switch of the PSU make sure its cold off.
Put the jumper in clear cmos position. leave it 10 seconds, switch the PSU on leave it 10 seconds, put the jumper in normal position, power on, What happens?
o If it beeps then power off, then at switch of the PSU make sure its cold off.
Put the jumper in clear cmos position, remove the 1866 Dimm from slot A2. Put the 1866 Dimm in Slot B2
o Switch the PSU on leave it 10 seconds, put the jumper in normal position, power on, What happens?

Hopefully its now working?

o If it beeps then power off, then at switch of the PSU make sure its cold off. And now repeat steps For Slots A1 + B1 with Just the 1866 Dimm.(can each old stick individually as well)
if that fails try steps for Dual Channel testing.

For Testing Two sticks (Dual Channel)

o Make sure the system is cold of at switch of PSU.

Remove motherboard as mentioned from the chassis and PSU, Use just the CPU & Dimms and nothing else connected (DVD HD SSD NVME USB GPU)
Using now the old memory in first Slots A2 and B2

o Turn on the system what happens? if it beeps then power off, then at switch of the PSU make sure its cold off.
o If it beeps then power off, then at switch of the PSU make sure its cold off.
Put the jumper in clear cmos position, remove the Dimms from slot A2 and B2 and put them in A1 and B1
switch the PSU on leave it 10 seconds, put the jumper in normal position, power on, What happens?

Hopefully its now working? If not then realy need to try get the CPU tested and ram on another board?