• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need advice on a computer case I bought "new" from Fry's, but arrived USED... frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Well, I know this will sound harsh, but if you "just let it go", then you are a fool, for letting them, or any other company, get away with this crap, which by the way, is F R A U D U L E N T and is a F E L O N Y under US laws.....

Letting it go means that you are an enabler and are perpetuating this illegal nonsense as OK, which it clearly is not...and means that it will most likely continue to happen to other people without any consequences for Fry's....

FYI, this same crap happened to me a few years ago, and I took the following actions:

A) Took pictures and returned to the store demanding not only my full purchase price back, but also reimbursement for my time & mileage. RESULT: Full refund to my cc + $100 in cash.

B) Wrote a very strongly-worded letter to their corporate headquarters demanding answers as to how, when & who committed this crime. RESULT: Lame-assed apology letter + $100 Visa gift card + assurances that the people responsible would be held accountable. When I went back into the store 2 weeks later & asked to see the Manager, I was told he was fired for poor customer service...

C) Filed formal complaints with the BBB, FTC, my State's Attorney General and local Consumer protection agency.
RESULT: the company received a negative rating from BBB & CPA, warning letters from the FTC & AG's offices, with instructions to issue me another $100 as damages for my troubles.....

So in summary... homey don't play dat, not when it comes to my money anyways :eek: :peace: :laugh:

Well I called them today and they have 30 day return policy on this kind of item. So it's up to me if I want to return it or not now, and I probably will but not for a refund, going to try for a replacement. It's still the best case for the money imo.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
If product was labeled as "new" but arrived in condition which clearly looks like "used" then do not wait any second more and demand from them exchange to something you ordered (new unit) or price difference refund.

This, but I would suggest you get everything refunded including shipping cost (AND return shipping) and go elsewhere.

Honest mistake or not, this is a writing on the wall in most cases. :nutkick: This shop has a loose definition of new.

IMO you're being way too lenient on this, and I'd be quick about your refund because the cash could be curated any day of the week now. It's 'just 54 bucks'.... that are soon to be gone.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB
Memory 32 GB Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) XFX 6800 XT Speedster Merc 319 Black
Storage Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 1TB
Display(s) LG 27GL850B x 2 / ASUS MG278Q
Case be quiet! Silent Base 802
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster AE-7 / Sennheiser HD 660S
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64
Sadly, this behavior has been very typical of Fry's for years now. My local store would routinely re-shrink wrap returns and restock them. I stopped buying anything other than cables or incidental small stuff from them long ago.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sadly, this behavior has been very typical of Fry's for years now. My local store would routinely re-shrink wrap returns and restock them. I stopped buying anything other than cables or incidental small stuff from them long ago.

I honestly have never heard of Fry's except sparingly, always been Newegg or Amazon for me. This case was sold out on both those sites though so I had to be creative in google searches, bleh.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
interesting... i've had a similar issue to this over a router and the manager just gave me a $15 gift card. We have one 5 mins from my house though, and it was in store. I would never order from them online they are kind of a shit show.

Also they aren't a pure computer store either (they literally sell everything in there), so they get their SKUs wrong all the time.

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
interesting... i've had a similar issue to this over a router and the manager just gave me a $15 gift card. We have one 5 mins from my house though, and it was in store. I would never order from them online they are kind of a shit show.

Also they aren't a pure computer store either (they literally sell everything in there), so they get their SKUs wrong all the time.
Fridge on SKU of hdd? :D

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Well, I know this will sound harsh, but if you "just let it go", then you are a fool, for letting them, or any other company, get away with this crap, which by the way, is F R A U D U L E N T and is a F E L O N Y under US laws.....

Letting it go means that you are an enabler and are perpetuating this illegal nonsense as OK, which it clearly is not...and means that it will most likely continue to happen to other people without any consequences for Fry's....

FYI, this same crap happened to me a few years ago, and I took the following actions:

A) Took pictures and returned to the store demanding not only my full purchase price back, but also reimbursement for my time & mileage. RESULT: Full refund to my cc + $100 in cash.

B) Wrote a very strongly-worded letter to their corporate headquarters demanding answers as to how, when & who committed this crime. RESULT: Lame-assed apology letter + $100 Visa gift card + assurances that the people responsible would be held accountable. When I went back into the store 2 weeks later & asked to see the Manager, I was told he was fired for poor customer service...

C) Filed formal complaints with the BBB, FTC, my State's Attorney General and local Consumer protection agency.
RESULT: the company received a negative rating from BBB & CPA, warning letters from the FTC & AG's offices, with instructions to issue me another $100 as damages for my troubles.....

So in summary... homey don't play dat, not when it comes to my money anyways :eek: :peace: :laugh:

A little overboard but, hey, glad it worked for you.

Congrats mate! I'm dealing with one store now. One of their people, specifically from cpu department, in december when i sent them cpu was doing anything possible to refuse me a replacement. After few weeks (sometime in january) finally i received my replacement and only because i publicly described my case on fb and few tech forums. Now, still unable to resolve my issues i have i decided to use my right stated by consumer law to do full return of my purchase with full refund and guess what? That guy still works there and this time he again tried to delay my return. After one properly written by me message he changed his mind but store itself now is doing to me problems with my full return which i have covered by law. Today i will sit for few hours and write an email to customer ombudsman(?) describing whole case.
Sit for a few hours is the last thing im going to do. i would have a stand in as my time is very costly :)

Oh ya? you think fry's will be charged a felony because of it? hahahahhahahaha
Do i think this really happened to you over a 54$ shipped case? nope
Why would the manager have been fired, you said they reimbursed everything you asked (not that i believe it.. cash? ya right)
FTC ordered them to issue you 100$ in damages for your "troubles". hahahahhahaha

What scenario could this all be true? you drove across state and it was a highly sensitive electronic item that would have been used immediately in a critical operation? Good work trying to raise the prices for everyone over some cat hairs in a case! Hate to see what you do when real world issues arise, maybe you are on the brink of going postal.

Yes they should send you prepaid box and cross ship a new one.. no problem, give you 20% off coupon possibly.. anything else well it will sure be hard for you to go to court and prove they intended on fraudulent felonies :) Maybe after 16,000$ in legal fees and wasted time (nah you still would get nowhere)

Sorry i dont believe almost anyone ever but your story with out some amazing details sounds like exactly that.. a Story!

Yes i have heard of that ALOT from fry's (i dont really think this was a mistake but a sloppy repack job) , thats why i dont mind buying used, i never purchase anything at launch it seems foolish, everything drops in price unless there is some kind of shortage. yes i realize cpu's motherboards gfx ram etc can be overclocked near death or esd that would make them have quirky errors, but there is also DOA so buying used at least takes the DOA factor out of it.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sit for a few hours is the last thing im going to do. i would have a stand in as my time is very costly :)

Oh ya? you think fry's will be charged a felony because of it? hahahahhahahaha
Do i think this really happened to you over a 54$ shipped case? nope
Why would the manager have been fired, you said they reimbursed everything you asked (not that i believe it.. cash? ya right)
FTC ordered them to issue you 100$ in damages for your "troubles". hahahahhahaha

What scenario could this all be true? you drove across state and it was a highly sensitive electronic item that would have been used immediately in a critical operation? Good work trying to raise the prices for everyone over some cat hairs in a case! Hate to see what you do when real world issues arise, maybe you are on the brink of going postal.

Yes they should send you prepaid box and cross ship a new one.. no problem, give you 20% off coupon possibly.. anything else well it will sure be hard for you to go to court and prove they intended on fraudulent felonies :) Maybe after 16,000$ in legal fees and wasted time (nah you still would get nowhere)

Sorry i dont believe almost anyone ever but your story with out some amazing details sounds like exactly that.. a Story!

I think he was just venting. If not, oh well, let him be.

I decided on a replacement. Feel free to close thread mods.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Sinple return it, they cant turn it away if you are not happy with it

Sinple return it, they cant turn it away if you are not happy with it
its not a simple return it as everyone's time is worth something (some peoples time seems to be worth way less!! cough cough) time to return yikes, i wouldn't even want to drive by the post to drop off a prepaid package with the case and wait for another one (let alone wait for fedex to come get it from me at my house, id rather be at the beach / making money / etc etc) , if they cross shipped and i did it at my leisure i could time it where only printing the label would take time away from me as i check my po box once every few weeks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.