• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NEED ADVICE on HTPC setup!

joeschmotz

Hey everybody! I would like to venture into building an HTPC. My biggest concern is QUIETNESS. Can anyone recommend to me a motherboard and case that would be very quiet? I was considering the ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G MOTHERBOARD. MicroATX would be cool, tool. ALSO, any sound cards or motherboards with built-in amplification?? I have just started research on that, too.

pjladyfox

System Name Eternal
Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Corsair H50 water cooling system
Memory 8GB Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 5870
Storage Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATA2, 7200.11 750GB SATA2, and 7200.10 500GB SATA2
Display(s) SAMSUNG 245BW 24" LCD
Case Antec Three Hundred - custom mnpctech.com
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC889 onboard sound
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows 7 Home 64-bit Retail
You may want to look at this thread:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=71954

Most of the parts selected will be quiet and pretty much fit the definition of what you are looking for.

As far as sound cards go there is none that have built-in amplification, or at least what I think your definition of, and instead pass-thru the signal to a dedicated amplifier that has support for things like Dolby Digital. Honestly, you would be better served to stick with the onboard sound card for now and see how it works for you and the home theater system you have. Too many make the mistake of buying more than what they need or do not have a good home theater system to backup their HTPC to start.