• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need an active MinDP to HDMI adapter. Suggestions?

webmaster

Looking to setup my new 7970 with a 3 monitor configuration. What is a good MiniDP to HDMI active adapter. My searching is turning up a bunch of crap. I almost ordered a ACCELL B086B-002B when I saw it labelled as an Eyefinity friendly adapter, only to find out it wasn't actually active at all. Is there even such thing as an active MiniDP to HDMI? I'm finding all kinds of MiniDP to DVI, but I need HDMI to use the monitors I have now.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Here is a link for ones that should satisfy:

Validated Eyefinity Dongles

It seems as though the one you were looking at was one number away from being the correct one.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
If I am not mistake, shouldn't your card have come with the adapter you want, or is it that you used that one already and need another one like it?

I am not sure about this, so you should verify. I do not believe you need an active adapter when going from DP to HDMI. Both are digital signals, HDCP compliant, and can carry a 7.1 audio signal. In this case, I think you just need a miniDP to HDMI adapter (nothing special).

I think the whole Active issue only comes up when going from HDMI/DP to DVI-D due to the difference in specs and variety of DVI ports.

Something like this should be all you need: StarTech Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter Co...

KFallon

Not so sure about the passive vs. active thing--as far as I was aware a MiniDP to HDMI adapter is just that. Would active mean it's externally powered? Idk.

Something like this might work? Monoprice has a bunch of adapters like these, surprisingly good quality too.

Last edited:
System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Ok. I have done a little research and what you need depends on the types of monitors you are using.

*Short Version*
If you have at least 1 monitor with a DisplayPort connection, connect it with that port and you can use passive adapters as needed.

If you do not have any monitors with a DP connection, you will need at least 1 active adapter to convert the required DP signal to whatever it is you need.

*Long version*
To use Eyefinity with more than 2 monitors (3 in your case) at least one of them will have to using a DisplayPort signal. If the monitors themselves do not have a DP port, then you will need an ACTIVE adapter as the card will have to output at least 1 DP signal which will then have to actively be changed to a legacy signal (HDMI, DVI, VGA).

If you are using Eyefinity and at least one of the monitors has DisplayPort, then simply connect it directly to one of the DP ports on the card. It will satisfy the requirement of one DP signal. If you then use a second DP port for one of the other two monitors via an adapter, it can be a PASSIVE adapter since the signal will be legacy signal over a DP connection.

AMD seems to be using DisplayPort secondary clock being activated as a trigger to identify an Eyefinity setup. On the legacy ports, a single clock can only drive two monitors max, so all additional connections have to use a DP signal and its clock.