• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Cheap Mehcanical HDD Data Recovery

Thrall

A few days ago my friend's ATA hard drive began making weird mechanical sounds, wouldn't boot windows, and doesn't show up in the bios. I'm assuming it's something mechanical inside that broken, and that her data is still there, so i was wondering if you guys/gals knew of any good, cheap, data recovery services. She's willing to spend a few hundred dollars to get it back because it contains tons of her stories and pics that she didn't back-up. Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
Go WC3!!!
anyway, usually services like this range from 50-150. I imagine that they actually replace the plates in a working hard drive, or maybe replace the mechanical problem with that one.

Fitseries3

Eleet Hardware Junkie
why not put it in the freezer for a few days then ghost the drive over to a new one?

if its not showing up in the bios then you need to find another drive with the same PCB and swap them. it should boot fine and allow you to copy data.

Thrall

Would changing the pcb on the drive work if the mechanical parts of the drive have failed? I have thought about freezing the drive but I've heard that it can permanently damage the drive so it can't be recovered professionaly...then again i read that on a data recovery site so idk how unbias that is...So can you guys give me any sites to check out-the ones I've looked at for a quote want serial#, model #, etc which is info i currently don't have.