• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with cooling system for my first gaming pc , any help is much appreciated.

papias

https://www.plaisio.gr/anavathmisi-...lKg5_sFwke71SaYIy6QM02qXLExEOifEaAuiQEALw_wcB
This is my case , it has 3 pre-installed fans on the front operating at 1200rpm approximately and 43.5cfm . My graphics card has 2 more of its own and my cpu has an exaust fan. there are 3 more slots for fans 2 on the top of the box and 1 on the back. Should I buy a set of 3 43.5cfm fans (same as the ones on the front ) or is the air power they provide insufficient for proper system cooling ? What would you suggest ? Which way should the fans face (intake or exaust)? The image I have uploaded in addition , shows my pc specs. Thanks!
pc specs.jpg

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
You can buy the same fans. The airflow on that case doesnt look to be that great but the parts you got dont really get super hot anyway so i guess you'll be fine.

If i had to critique your build further, I would ditch the Corsair CV power supply and spend a little more money if you can for seasonic or superflower or higher tier Corsair unit. The lower end Corsair units tend to have questionable reliability compared to their other units and its always worth spending a bigger part of your budget on the heart of your machine rather than have to deal with problems further down the line.

This is how you should have the fans set up to channel the airflow. Blue arrows for Intake, red for exhaust.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
You get away with moving one of the front intake fans to the rear exhaust without purchasing more fans. If feel the need to increase noise levels by buying 3 more fans for the rear exhaust and top exhaust they dont have to be an exact match to the front intakes, close is ok. Also, if you did buy 3 more, I'd suggest some sort of fan controller to adjust their speed/noise.

If i had to critique your build further, I would ditch the Corsair CV power supply and spend a little more money if you can for seasonic or superflower or higher tier Corsair unit. The lower end Corsair units tend to have questionable reliability compared to their other units and its always worth spending a bigger part of your budget on the heart of your machine rather than have to deal with problems further down the line.
totally agree, in my signature is a PSU tier list over on LTT forums.

papias

You can buy the same fans. The airflow on that case doesnt look to be that great but the parts you got dont really get super hot anyway so i guess you'll be fine.

This is how you should have the fans set up to channel the airflow. Blue arrows for Intake, red for exhaust.

Thanks for the reply! The only thing i have to point out is that i got advised by some people about the fans placement on my pc , many of them told me to use the one on the back as intake , because there are 2 on the top as exaust and the cfm of the front ones is not that strong meaning it will not counter the intake off the back and the front ones might not cool my cpu wich is placed near the back of the box . what do you think

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Thanks for the reply! The only thing i have to point out is that i got advised by some people about the fans placement on my pc , many of them told me to use the one on the back as intake , because there are 2 on the top as exaust and the cfm of the front ones is not that strong meaning it will not counter the intake off the back and the front ones might not cool my cpu wich is placed near the back of the box . what do you think
IDK if you what it means to have positive or negative pressure in a case, each have bad drawbacks if there is too much of one or the other. You already have 3 intake fans on the front, so you'll need to balance that out to keep case pressure closer to Zero (0). One rear exhaust will help, 2 top exhaust would be better than that, both of those would be best. Or you could move one ore more front exhaust fans as already suggested.

papias

IDK if you what it means to have positive or negative pressure in a case, each have bad drawbacks if there is too much of one or the other. You already have 3 intake fans on the front, so you'll need to balance that out to keep case pressure closer to Zero (0). One rear exhaust will help, 2 top exhaust would be better than that, both of those would be best. Or you could move one ore more front exhaust fans as already suggested.
Thanks for the advice ! yea i am familiar with case pressure , my quote is if an intake fan on the back is better for airflow due to the lack of cfm in general . if the front fans are not strong enough to push air through the back of my case and cfm causes the air to reach the middle part of my case i think an intake on the back with 2 exaust on top would be better , im not that familiar with cfm though thats why im not sure if cfm is strong enough or not to affect the case pressure negatively given the fact i have 2 exausts on top.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
I’d ditch that case entirely and get a new one that has some vents in the front or, ideally, a mesh front.

If you’re married to that case for whatever reason, I’d add two top intakes and one rear exhaust. But honestly, with your components, the expense isn’t worth buying new fans.

As it is, it doesn’t really matter how much pressure those front intakes fan are capable of producing — the front panel barely has any vents for intake (just the top as far as I can see). The only fan that can pull air into the chassis is the top one — the other two are probably just recycling the air in the chassis. You could probably just move the two front bottom intake fans to top intake and call it a day.

Last edited:
Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Why would you need that many fans? 10400F with 1650 super doesn't produce much heat

System Name Dumbass
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Thanks for the advice ! yea i am familiar with case pressure , my quote is if an intake fan on the back is better for airflow due to the lack of cfm in general . if the front fans are not strong enough to push air through the back of my case and cfm causes the air to reach the middle part of my case i think an intake on the back with 2 exaust on top would be better , im not that familiar with cfm though thats why im not sure if cfm is strong enough or not to affect the case pressure negatively given the fact i have 2 exausts on top.
As I said already, you could move one of the three intake fans to the rear as an exhaust fan.

cfm is how much air the fan can move in a certain amount of time. What that boils down to is that more fans equal more airflow, case design matters also because it affects the airflow path. Heat rises which is why case are designed with top vents where we can add fans. Rear fans are mostly there to direct that airflow path, which is why its primarily used as exhaust.