1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need help with Google Voice

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Frag Maniac, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know where to put this question, but since it's a service provided by Google, I thought I'd start here.

I signed up for Google Voice. I have a phone # established with them. I wanted to just make calls without one, but I couldn't even get the Call option until I got a Google number.

When I try making calls it just hangs then goes back to showing the Connect button. I can't find any thorough support for this on the web or via phone. There's only simple step by step instructions on how to get a number and make calls, which I've already followed.

I have had a friend test my Google Voice number and CAN get calls on it. I haven't any Contacts in my Gmail account. Do I need to establish Contacts for everyone I call? It doesn't say you have to in the Google Voice instructions.

Does anyone know why this is happening or of any troubleshooting guides on it or tech support that is actually useful?

[Edited]
    Managed to make some calls via setting it to use my Home Phone vs Google Talk, but I don't know it that will still be a free service if dialing outside my area. The headset I bought is useless so far though since I can't seem to get Google Talk to work.

I do have Google Talk updated to the new Hangouts software btw.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014