• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need Help with OC'ed 9800 Pro 256 mb card

N

nsyv

I have a question about my modified 9800 pro (xt). After I updated the bios, ATI tool recognized it as an XT so everything was good so far. I ran 3DMark03 and got a score of 6700 which isn't too bad but not nearly as good as what I was seeing other people get online. My main problem was when I was running doom 3 with AA and AF disabled at 1024x768, I only got 45 fps whereas I was seeing benchmarks online that were getting at least 48 fps for pro and 51 fps for xt. After doing the built in time demo test a couple of times I started getting artifacts on the screen and this was without OC'ing the modified 9800 card. Any ideas why this might be happening?

AMD 3400+ (newcastle)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
ATI Radeon Pro 256 MB
w/VGA Silencer Rev 3 & AS5
1 GB (512x2) OCZ PC3500
Creative Labs Soundblaster Extigy
Aspire 520W PSU
Windows XP SP2

Last edited by a moderator:

Trimm

It's probably do to heat. Is the artifact dot's or squared. It's summer so the ambient temp can get pretty high. What is the temp of your card. Check to make sure that the REV 3 is installed correctly, and making good contact.

E

evilally

I'm running an Athlon XP @ 2.4ghz/400fsb, 1Gb ram and 9800pro 256Mb (440/380). With AA/Af disabled I get 52fps @ 1024. Make sure you run the timedemo twice, and take the 2nd score. The first is always low. Check that vsync is off in the driver tab and in the game. Try the 4.9 cats if you aren't already, they bumped me from 45fps to 52fps.

N

nsyv

I am running the 4.9 cats and my gpu temps are 69-74 idle with ATITool. Should I assume that its idling at 49-54 since apparently ATITool adds 20°? I felt the air coming out the back of my vga silencer and it was pretty hot and when I touched the pcb, it was pretty hot too so I'm wondering what you guys are getting for temps in ATITool? Also after flashing to XT, I can only get 420/375...Should I flash back to the Pro bios to get better OC'ing?