1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need opinion on Rebuilding a PSU and modding it

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by MohawkAngel, Sep 10, 2010.

1. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got a psu of 450w for free at ocal computer stores they have cut the wires because the fan was noisy and did not wanted bothering to change the fan. It's an L&C psu with one rail 12V only but 18 amps on that ramp. Now all the wires have been cut si i will solder back a 20+4 pins main plug, the 4 pins cpu/mobo plug what else should I put on it ?

I was thinking about 2 sata and 1 molex but build a Y shaped molex adapter in case i need to plug more fan in it.

Any ideas welcome ! Thank you

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    ... Why did they cut the wires again? Makes no sense to me. :p

Anyway, don't know about L&C PUS's. Are you sure they trashed it just because of the fan? Look closely for bad components. I would not run a computer on a trashed PSU, except for an old school/emulating rig or something. You could just solder some 5V there and have it as a big fan controller. ^^

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    I think its definitely a great idea. You should do it. You could even make an octopus like creature out of it and call it "Powerpus"

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. MohawkAngel

MohawkAngel New Member

Thanks Received:
    rocker smokes cigs but you smoke magic herb :p BTW its done theres a thread for it called My frankeinstein psu ;)