• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need some opinions before upgrading my Productivity system

Hi, this is going to be a long post, so I'd want to apologize for that first.

So I am planning to upgrade my PC for my birthday next week. I have looked very hard and spend a lot of time (at least to my standard) researching and thinking on what should I do with my productivity build (more specifically, adobe photoshop, adobe lightroom, Magix vegas). I have came up with some plans, but I still have some questions that I figured out I should have a fun discussion in multiple forums before pulling the trigger.

By the way, I'm from Indonesia, so you can use www.tokopedia.com for pricing reference.

Here're the parts of my current build, the situation that I'm having right now, and the upgrade path I am looking to take.

Main Components:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI B450M Gaming Plus
RAM: ADATA Gammix D30 3000 MHz CL16 2x8 GB

These were bought back in 2019. So far, I have no complaints with this configuration. Since I don't game with this PC, I am not chasing for the best gaming performance, but rather productivity performance. So that's the goal. I am thinking of upgrading the 3600 to something like the 5700X (IDR 3200k) to boost the productivity performance. But I'm not sure if that's worth it or not.

The 5700X is not known to be power hungry, so my little MSI board should be able to handle it. I am still contemplating on whether or not I should keep this cheap motherboard. I can potentially get something like the Asrock B550M Steel Legend (IDR 2200k) or the cheaper MSI B550M PRO-DASH (IDR 1700k) for improving the VRM's capability, but then again, as with the CPU, I'm not sure on whether it's worth it or not.

The RAM can also potentially be a major upgrade potential as well, as 16 GB might be a little bit too small for such PCs. My Ryzen 5 doesn't seem to be bogged down by the memory's 3000 MHz speed, as at that time, I read in techpowerup beforehand that you won't get that much of a benefit going above 3000 with Zen2 CPUs. But, if I upgrade to a 5700x, as I have read in many publications, I might not be able to bring the true potential of that CPU. So I am torn between keeping the memory, replacing it with 2x16GB 3200 MHz (IDR 1600k) - a side note, no one is selling the 3000 version anymore, or replace it with a faster 4x8GB or 2x16GB 3600 MHz (IDR 2100k). Of course, this all depends on the CPU that I end up getting.

The last option, which I can also take is going with a new platform altogether. But I figured out that adopting a new platform costs a tonne of money. Let the AM5 platform as an example, the 7600X cost IDR 5000k, and I don't know any good AM5 boards for a good price but let's say IDR 3000k and IDR 3000k for a standard DDR5 32GB kit. That totals up to 11000k which is probably not something that I'd want to pay, but I am open to suggestions if that is worth the price. Intel's option is probably more compelling price-wise with i5-12400F (IDR 3000k), a cheap and decent B660 Motherboard such as the MSI Pro B660M-A (IDR 2600k) and 2x16GB 3600 MHz (2100k) DDR4, totaling to about IDR 8000k, which is much cheaper than the AM5 option. It might not be faster than the 5700X, and I am not sure if going with DDR4 is the way to go. I can also go with Intel DDR5, but that adds about IDR 2000k to that total, making it similar to the AM5 option. But most importantly, for upgradeability, these two might be the way to go.

GPU: MSI Armor Radeon R9 380X

This is probably the weakest link of my build. I bought this back on the new year of 2015 (!). With this I am very clear that I need an upgrade ASAP, but to be honest it is not as easy as you might think choosing the right GPU. As this is a productivity PC, I don't care about gaming performance at all. Since I am using adobe PS and LR, plus Magix Vegas, I am still in lack of information whether I should go team red or green. I have heard somewhere in the Vegas forum that Vegas works better with an AMD GPU, but I am not sure if that's true or not. It would be lovely if you can give some insight regarding this issue. As for the actual GPU, I have a couple of options. I can opt for the RX 6700 XT (IDR 5300k), RX 6600 XT (IDR 4300k) and the RX 6600 (IDR 3800k) from team red. From team green I can go with the RTX 3060 (5800k). Yes, it sounds too expensive but I would strongly consider it above the others if Vegas and adobe does better with Nvidia.

Then there's also the question on which AIB partner to go. My choice for AMD cards would be PowerColor, as their Hellhound cards seems to run relatively cooler compared to other cards from other AIBs in its class. But like always I also would like to ask your opinion on whether my opinion regarding PowerColor is true or not. For Nvidia, I am actually entirely not sure. I have went with Zotac with my gaming PC and so far it has been running very well, but I am open to any kind of suggestions as I am completely blind regarding Nvidia AIBs.

Other Components:
CPU Cooler: Deepcool Gammax GTE
SSD: ADATA 512 GB SX6000 Lite
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution DF 650W
Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Q300L

I have to admit that this is where I didn't do that much of a research back when I built this PC. The cooler is a fairly standard tower cooler from Deepcool that I believe came with a discounted price, so I picked one up at a local PC store. Same goes for the SSD. There are no particular or good reasons on why I picked those two. Since the 512 GB capacity is getting too small for my workflow of storing videos in my PC, I also want to upgrade it to something bigger. I am currently eyeing for Kingston KC3000 1TB (IDR 1900k) with PCI-E gen 4 support (which also inevitably makes the motherboard upgrade much more sensible) or something bog standard like the Crucial P3 1TB (IDR 1350k). Or, I can also keep my old SSD and buy an extra HDD to store all those videos. I do, however have an external 1TB HDD that I also store my videos on. As for the cooler, I don't know much about it, but you can tell me if it needs upgrading.

For the PSU, I don't think it needs upgrading. There is an issue with it though, but I don't want to describe it in this already long post. The case is also an upgrade potential. I am very impressed by Fractal Design's Torrent series, as they are nice looking, high performing compact cases. Though, to be frank, the case upgrade is more aesthetically driven rather than function/performance driven. Some motherboard that I mentioned here requires the case to be able to take full ATX boards, so I might have to upgrade the case.

So yeah, that's about it. My budget is flexible, but I'd like to keep it below IDR 10000k if possible.

Cheers guys. Thanks for your time reading this.

Last edited: