• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

.Net Framework - Windows 7

I'm having a strange problem with .net framework applications. Basically any app that requires .Net framework 3.5 gives me this error:
Could not load file or assembly 'UIAutomationProvider, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'

I believe it has something to do with the way the .net framework is built into Windows 7, but not sure how to solve it. When I go to program features and uncheck/check .net framework to reinstall, I just get an error.

The odd part is, when I run this tool for checking .net framework:
http://frameworkdetector.codeplex.com/

I get results that look like I should be having no issues:

Has anyone ever had this kind of problem?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4, the newer version: webinstaller or stand-alone.

If you want to uninstall\cleanup your .net this may help: .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide
The .NET Framework cleanup tool is available for download at the following locations:
http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-file.ashx...-90-44-93/dotnetfx_5F00_cleanup_5F00_tool.zip

what to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help

Last edited:

Thanks for the links, I ran the cleanup utility, got rid of the existing .net installs, reinstalled them all, but am now back to the same issue. The troubleshooting didn't help a lot of windows 7 unfortunately.

I have a feeling this is a side effect of my install of Visual Studio 2010. :(

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Are these apps that you have written?

Are these apps that you have written?

No one is gamespy comrade, and the other is a borderlands config utility. Both of them ran fine in Windows 7. Also, now I am getting a different error, where the apps just crash w/o error as soon as I start them... Not sure what changed

When I run framework detect I get the error "The specified registry key does not exist". Followed by no frameworks showing up...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Something got borked. <-- technical jargon.

I have VS 2010 on my system, all .Net version and the Windows Phone 7 beta toolkit (which includes XNA 4.0 beta) and everything is fine.

Try removing VS and then the frameworks and then reinstalling both (frameworks first).

Sometimes it can happen because of wrong/corrupted update. System restore could help. You also can try and run sfc /scannow. And look in the events logs to see errors.