• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build advice - how many new systems in a lifetime to keep up?

Drfunkenstein57

Back in 2010 when I was a much younger man I put together my present system:

MOBO: Asus M4N68T-M LE
CPU: AMD Phenom II 1055t 6 core
RAM : Ballistix DDR3 1600MHz 8gb kit
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5670 DDR5 512mb
PSU: High power 500w
ATX Led side vented case
Windows 10 home 64bit Was windows 7 until 10 came out)
Seagate 500gb HHD

At the time I thought this system to be quite good, in fact over the years in has smoothly run - GTA V, AC Unity, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Kingdom Come Deliverance all with modest settings, up untill I purchased Assisins Creed Origins. I have played all previous AC titles with no problems, so I submitted my system specs to the Ubisoft support dudes - who informed me that my system was not up to the task.

Damn it!!! I thought - time to renew my system - just for one game! Anyway I have put together a few parts to re-juvenate the old gal, any thoughts would be appreciated:-

MOBO: MSI B350 gaming plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400 MHz 16gb
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: High power 500w (from old system)
ATX LED side vent (from old system)
2tb western digital HHD

Hopefully, this build will cope with AC Origins, I realize that adding an SSD would speed things up, but I can only afford so much at a time, I would love a nice black ATX case with a decent LED backlit keyboard but more costs & I am fast approaching retirement.
Anyway any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
It looks fine to me, but one of our Ryzen guys should probably weigh in on that RAM. Ryzen had some serious RAM compatibility issues when it first came out. It's gotten better now between multiple BIOS/AGESA updates and the introduction of "Zen+" (the 2xxx series), but just to be sure...

Also, you really should get an SSD. It doesn't have to be a huge one, and HDD is still fine for most games and bulk storage. Here's a neat little SSD that'll fit into that M.2 slot your board has. There's not even any extra cables or anything. It's large enough for your OS, at the very least:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8TK53D2611

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I would look at the Ryzen 2 series of CPUs...

I would also be concerned with a 'high power 500w PSU' from your old system... What brand and model specifically? If its a junk brand and old, replace it.

I also agree with getting an SSD of some sort. It really is one of the most tangible upgrades one can make to a system.

Also WTH is an ATX LED side vent?

Honestly, I would save up a bit more and invest in an SSD, the 2 series Ryzen, and a better PSU.

I would definitely recommend, as EarthDog said above, a 2000 series. 2600 or 2600X. Just make sure you either buy a 400 series motherboard with it or your retailer is shipping BIOS updated 300 series stock. Else you'll have to send off for one of those flashing kits :p That is, unless you can get the 1600X or board significantly cheaper - it's still a fantastic CPU.

Oh and SSD. Yes. Everyone else has said it... this is 2018, no Operating System should be on mechanical rust :p

The RAM is likely fine, I have had no issues going with sub 3000 MHz speeds on pretty much all my Ryzen/Ram combinations. 2400 will be fine I think, even if Dual Rank. If it's a C14 kit, it'll like go further with OC. My TeamGroup C14 2400 Mhz was stable at 3000 Mhz C16 with some extra voltage. Ryzen really does appreciate those extra memory Hz :)

Graphics card is good, should be fine but don't rule out looking around for a deal on RX 580 8GB cards: not only do you get more VRAM (Helps A LOT going forwards) it's usually competitive in performance too.

In AC:Origins, the 1060 6GB is a bit faster but 580 is not too far behind.

assassins-creed-origins_1920-1080.png

Just a thought, 590 potentially could be an option but I wouldn't spend more on it than a 1060 6GB. Also your PSU would likely need to be of Gold+ quality and a decent brand to handle a 590.

Just my thoughts. :)

The efficiency rating has little to nothing to do with the quality of a PSU, note. Outside of that, spot on! :)

The efficiency rating has little to nothing to do with the quality of a PSU, note. Outside of that, spot on! :)
I always assumed you couldn't really get Gold+ efficiency without having at least semi-decent components. :confused: Either way, a decent 500W unit will be fine for this tier of GPU, even the 590 I think. I ran a RX Vega 56 on a 500W Bronze (EVGA) PSU for a bit. But one thing to note is (at least AFAIK) the power at the wall is always the input wattage, the PSU is rated ofr 500W output so that will actually be near 600W at the wall for 500W of output, assuming around 100W (20%) heat wastage. Only my Vega 64 Red Devil has managed to suck down 600W at the wall. xD

Can you have a high MPG car that is still a POS? Again, efficiency is not a barometer for quality. :)

As far as the wattage at the wall, that has to do with efficiency of the unit. For example, if you have a Gold unit at 90% efficiency and actually using 400W, you will be using 440W at the wall. The efficiency rating does NOT take away from what the PSU can output. The wall will only 'take' what the system uses plus the difference in efficiency. The system will not draw the PSU label rating if it isn't using it!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Can you have a high MPG car that is still a POS? Again, efficiency is not a barometer for quality. :)

Correct, up to a point. Getting higher than gold efficiency pretty much requires a good design to begin with.

+1 to Ryzen 2 unless you get a really good price on the first generation.

Surely. You can use efficient parts, but what if the soldering is shoddy or other internal concerns? JGuru has dinged plenty of 'efficient' PSUs for other build quality issues. :)

There can be a relationship there...but sometimes not...which is why efficiency rating isn't a good barometer for quality.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I would look at the Ryzen 2 series of CPUs...

I would also be concerned with a 'high power 500w PSU' from your old system... What brand and model specifically? If its a junk brand and old, replace it.

I also agree with getting an SSD of some sort. It really is one of the most tangible upgrades one can make to a system.

Also WTH is an ATX LED side vent?

Honestly, I would save up a bit more and invest in an SSD, the 2 series Ryzen, and a better PSU.

Needs a reputable brand unit

Drfunkenstein57

Thanks for the advice guys, it's certainly given me a lot to think about.
From what I've read I will definately be getting a new good brand PSU, The "High Power 500w" is actually the name of a brand that I bought from PC world back in 2010. I will definately be getting a SSD drive, particularly as the motherboard supports one.
As I said in the first post, I hadn't really upgraded my PC in any major way since building it in 2010. Despite being a modest build, that HD 5670 really did manage some decent games including Kingdom Come Deliverance & A C Unity, which is why I was surprised at the big requirement jump when I tried to play AC Origins. My system was due for an upgrade in any case, I am pleased that most of my selected kit met with some approval & I realise that when built, it will be just a modest build by todays gaming rigs.

I have only just found this site recently, & so far I am very impressed. You have all given me some very sound advice, & plenty to work with, I at least have an interesting project to see me through the Christmas period.