• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Build System Stability Issue...

System Name Maingear Vybe
Processor i7-4790k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
Cooling Liquid cooled, 2 120mm fans
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX-960
Storage Samsung 850 PRO SSD
Case Maingear
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply EVGA 750W B2
Software Windows 8.1 64-bit
Just for anyone who might read this and is having similar problems. I can report that the RAM itself was tested by the supplier and found to be faulty. Notably RAM at the same speed and by the same brand VengeancePro 2133mhz always revealed a few errors, however upon receiving exactly the same brand but at 2400mhz, I can confirm everything is absolutely fine. Amazing what a difference merely the extra bit of mhz seems to do, but perhaps its merely a very specific incompatibility between the 2133mhz sticks and the system.

One final note, originally the supplier did not run the HAMMER test in the MemTest program and it was only after my convincing them that they should do, that they were able to find the fault and confirm replacement RAM, so something I would recommend everyone do is to push for EVERY test to be done when RMA'ing any new kit.

Thanks again for any and all help with this issue.
Hi TemJam,

I too recently purchased a new computer running Windows 8.1 and have exactly the same issues as you regarding the Hammer test #13.
I am running 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 too.

I have returned the memory to the the computer builder but the new memory exhibits exactly the same issue. In addition which may be totally unrelated I get occasional BSOD. I believe I isolated this to when the computer returns from Sleep. I since disabled Sleep to see if the BSODs continue but at this point they have not. Unfortunately, one cannot prove a negative meaning that no BSOD does not guarantee the issue was in fact from Sleep.

JerryTheSurfer

System Name My Rig
Processor I7 6700k
Motherboard Asus Z170 pro Gaming
Cooling Corsair H110i GT Liquid Cooler
Memory 16gb 3000mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card(s) Asus RGB STRIX gtx-1080 OC
Storage Samsung NVMe m.2 512gb primary drive
Display(s) phillips brilliance 43" 4k monitor
Case phantek ethnoo LUXE
Audio Device(s) onboard/supremefx
Power Supply EVGA 850w GOLD
Mouse dragonwar chaos
Keyboard Steelseries 350
Software windows 10
Hi Jerry, sorry for the late reply I've been away. Can I ask what RAM you replaced your faulty set with? I replaced mine with 2400mhz instead of 2133mhz and it worked fine from then on. For some totally inexplicable reason neither myself nor my supplier were able to get anything other than the 2400mhz or 1866mhz varieties of the Corsair Vengeance RAM to work. Interestingly, I too have recently began another post here about how even now I still get random restarts with no BSOD just power off and back on instantly. Whether this is related I have not been able to ascertain at this time but I will try to keep posted here.

Processor i7-4790k
Case Maingear
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Hi Jerry, sorry for the late reply I've been away. Can I ask what RAM you replaced your faulty set with? I replaced mine with 2400mhz instead of 2133mhz and it worked fine from then on. For some totally inexplicable reason neither myself nor my supplier were able to get anything other than the 2400mhz or 1866mhz varieties of the Corsair Vengeance RAM to work. Interestingly, I too have recently began another post here about how even now I still get random restarts with no BSOD just power off and back on instantly. Whether this is related I have not been able to ascertain at this time but I will try to keep posted here.
Temjam99,

My BSODs are for sure related to Sleep mode. When I wake the machine I sometimes get BSODs soon after. I check the Event Log and also find errors with a time stamp that is exactly when the rig woke. If I disable Sleep theree are no BSODs or Event Log errors.

Under what circumstances do you experience your BSODs?

System Name My Rig
Processor I7 6700k
Motherboard Asus Z170 pro Gaming
Cooling Corsair H110i GT Liquid Cooler
Memory 16gb 3000mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX
Video Card(s) Asus RGB STRIX gtx-1080 OC
Storage Samsung NVMe m.2 512gb primary drive
Display(s) phillips brilliance 43" 4k monitor
Case phantek ethnoo LUXE
Audio Device(s) onboard/supremefx
Power Supply EVGA 850w GOLD
Mouse dragonwar chaos
Keyboard Steelseries 350
Software windows 10
JerryTheSurfer, thanks for your reply. I've messaged you privately also to let you know I'm addressing this in another thread here. But in short, I'm not really getting any BSOD's, mainly just a complete but extremely rapid loss and regain of power where the computer restarts ultra quickly but doesn't seem to show any errors. I am going to double check the windows error logs when I can to see if they show anything.

Processor i7-4790k
Case Maingear
Audio Device(s) Realtek
When you regain power do you directly into Window exactly where you left of or is it like rebooting and you are restarting with your Bios?

Do you have Hibernate enabled? Check your Power settings.