• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

new construction house wiring for cat5e

System Name Build 1
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Cooler Master 212
Memory Corsair DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Professional
any advice from someone that has done it, run conduit for the future?

figured i would ask for someone that has done it and wish they did it different maybe

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Are you wiring cat5e simply to provide internet access to all parts of the home, or do you have bigger plans, like home servers (PLEX) or streaming devices to other locations (Steam In-Home Streaming/Remotr)?

Also, this:
Cat6, or even higher.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I agree to run Cat 6. Cat 5e will work but I promise you, you only want to pull cable through your house once. So to ensure the best performance for as long into the future as possible, put in at least top quality Cat 6. You do not need conduit. Network cables uses "twisted" pairs to cancel out any affects of interference.

Do "invest" in a top quality crimper and use only top quality connectors. Practice crimping on scrap pieces of wires. Be ready to waste several connectors. I wasted $40 on two cheap crimpers before buying the quality $40 crimper I should have bought in the first place.

"Invest" also in a decent network cable tester. The $10 testers that look identical to the $40 testers are not identical, or equal.

You are only as good as your tools. Remember, you want this wiring job to last a lifetime. It will cost you to do it right, but you will still save $100s by doing it yourself.

Leave at least a couple feet of slack at every outlet.

At least two outlets in every room. You may think one is enough, and it most likely is (since you can always put a switch in the room). But Murphey's Law will always put the outlet on the wrong side of the room from the computer. Plus, remember TVs, Roku streamers, Blu-Ray players and other devices often are able to connect via Ethernet too - always better than wireless (in terms of security).

Make sure all bends around corners are gentle curves. Do not actually bend and never allow any kinks in the cables.

Do not yank or stretch cables. If it gets hung up while pulling, crawl in or punch a hole in the wall to carefully free the hang up. If not possible, abandon the cable in place and start a new run. Do not yank or stretch the cable (worth repeating).

No splices.

Use a good router.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Yep use CAT6 or CAT6A (iirc this is the really heavy duty stuff..pain to work with, but meant for long term).

Use a good router, get something more business-grade like an Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite or X also look at PFSense whether you buy one of theirs or build something, there's a lot of good options that will treat you very well...don't rely on a router to be your wireless AP, firewall and switch. Use it as a router/firewall, have a dedicated switch and have dedicated wireless access points. Have a networking closet with ventilation abilities.

Have a patch panel that you can label where each run goes to...this is so helpful later on after years of not having to worry about your wire runs...a day will come and this will save you having to tone/trace. Then use short CAT6 patch cables to connect from patch panel to your switch.

Label or number your ports on the wall to match the patch panel, again this makes referencing easier later on if you're doing a lot of runs.

Use a decent quality switch, something that has a good warrant...there are Netgear switches starting around $100 with lifetime warranties iirc, and they're solid performers and work great for SoHo setups. Also decide if you need a managed switch or if a standard L2 switch will do the job. Also decide on if you want to go POE (Power Over Ethernet) now or later. This allows power and data over an Ethernet cable for devices like Wireless Access Points, Phones, paging amps, cameras, etc.

It won't be cheap to get into, but if spend wisely now, you'll actually save yourself in the long run.

Add that to @Bill_Bright 's suggestions and you'll have a very solid setup!

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Cat6A and run conduit. Im still working a few rooms at my place. had to stop for the sake of repairing my roof. but..

run 6A
use PVC or other conduit
Atleast 2 keystones (1 panel) in each room.
Bonus points if you drop 4+ on the wall for your TV etc in the living room.
terminate all to a patch panel.

run your equipment behind patch panel.

home value goes up.

JacobVR

For permanent installs, use solid CAT5/6 wire. Stranded wire should only be used for patch cables.

System Name Build 1
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Cooler Master 212
Memory Corsair DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Professional
looks like itll be some sort of cat6 and conduit for the future

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I agree to run Cat 6. Cat 5e will work but I promise you, you only want to pull cable through your house once. So to ensure the best performance for as long into the future as possible, put in at least top quality Cat 6. You do not need conduit. Network cables uses "twisted" pairs to cancel out any affects of interference.

Do "invest" in a top quality crimper and use only top quality connectors. Practice crimping on scrap pieces of wires. Be ready to waste several connectors. I wasted $40 on two cheap crimpers before buying the quality $40 crimper I should have bought in the first place.

"Invest" also in a decent network cable tester. The $10 testers that look identical to the $40 testers are not identical, or equal.

You are only as good as your tools. Remember, you want this wiring job to last a lifetime. It will cost you to do it right, but you will still save $100s by doing it yourself.

Leave at least a couple feet of slack at every outlet.

At least two outlets in every room. You may think one is enough, and it most likely is (since you can always put a switch in the room). But Murphey's Law will always put the outlet on the wrong side of the room from the computer. Plus, remember TVs, Roku streamers, Blu-Ray players and other devices often are able to connect via Ethernet too - always better than wireless (in terms of security).

Make sure all bends around corners are gentle curves. Do not actually bend and never allow any kinks in the cables.

Do not yank or stretch cables. If it gets hung up while pulling, crawl in or punch a hole in the wall to carefully free the hang up. If not possible, abandon the cable in place and start a new run. Do not yank or stretch the cable (worth repeating).

No splices.

Use a good router.
I agree with Kursah. Been doing this for years now, and your best friend is KNOWLEDGE. Knowing where the hell the connection is for that outlet is worth gold. Mark up both ends, behind the faceplate if you need to.
Always pull more than you think you need. You never know. At least an extra foot. Nothing like making a 250' pull around corners, through overheads, and between stuff, and coming up 5 feet short. Trust me on that one :) It was over 300, security camera, in a Cherry Picker, and 5 foot short... that's a long trek to pull 5 more feet out.
Conduit is not just for cancelling out interference, it's for convenience. Getting a line down inside a wall, especially an insulated wall, is dramatically easier, instead of traumatically nightmarish, with conduit. And when you pull that cable down the conduit, pull a lead string with it. Use heavy grade twine, and tie it off at top and bottom, for when you need another line.
On that note, pull two. Double it up again for the major areas, like behind the TV. Cable is cheap. Shop around. I bought 1000 feet cat 6 last year for $35 discontinued at Home Depot. Always swing thru :) Otherwise, check around.
For the network tester, I do have to mildly disagree. I just purchased a replacement of the Chinese model I've had for 12 years (yup). I can't guarantee that this one for $7 will last as long as a $90 fluke, but for <$10, I'll take the chance once, maybe even twice. Just bought it, I'll let you know :)
However, Don't skimp on the crimper. And if you're doing a patch panel (come on, all the cool kids are doing it!!), get a quality punch tool. I prefer the Klein padded handle, but I got mine for a steal.
I doubt you need a fish pole for a new install, or a fish tape, but it you need the pole, this is a life saver.
In case you missed it, pull two.
Good luck!

Processor 7900
Motherboard Rampage Apex
Cooling H115i
Memory 64GB TridentZ 3200 14-14-14-34-1T
Video Card(s) Fury X
Case Corsair 740
Audio Device(s) 8ch LPCM via HDMI to Yamaha Z7 Receiver
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse G903
Keyboard G810
Software 8.1 x64
Make sure you run afew lines for outdoor security cameras. I wish I would have done this as with power over ethernet its really easy to setup a camera system.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Install the conduit, EMT preferably. Do not forget the bushings on the ends.

Install an addition pull string with the cable.