• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"New" Elsa 6800 GT AGP Not Working. Wavy Lines! Please Help!

AdriMagnon7

Hi,

I'm having some massive troubles with a 6800 GT AGP that I just bought. It is an open box product I got from an online vendor. The card and my CPU are not overclocked. Here are the details:

Its an Elsa Gladiac 940GT 6800GT 256MB AGP card. It is being used on an ECS motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 512 MB PQI PC-3200 RAM (single stick) and a 430 Watt power supply unit all running Windows XP Professional SP 2. The PSU powers also (1) DVD-R/RW, (1) CD-R/RW, (1) 80 GB 7200 RPM IDE Hard drive and (1) 60 GB 7200 RPM IDE Hard drive -- all connected at the time.
Until I got the card today I was running a Kaser ATI 9600 SE. While still running the 9600 I downloaded and installed the latest version of Riva Tuner. I then used the Control Panel to Un-install the ATI Display Driver and the ATI Tool Suite. When it asked to reboot after each I said "no." I then shut down the computer. Even though the 6800 GT is an open box item it came with the power cable splitter (which I used) and driver CD. I put the card in, rebooted and the system POSTed. All went as normal and when Win XP was loading it asked for the device drivers. I told it to skip them and when it finished I loaded the CD and ran the "autorun.exe" loading the drivers.
I didn't reboot at this point. I tried to set the screen resolution to 1280x1024 (it was an option in the settings) but when I clicked "OK" the entire screen went wavy. It looked as though there was a box in the center of the screen that was a dark color and the background was blue. Imagine a really windy day on a pond -- that is what the screen looked like. I waited 30 seconds, expecting the screen to change back as windows always ask to keep the new settings or change back but it never did. I hard restarted the computer. It went through and at Win XP, after everything finished loading all looked good. I moved the mouse around and it was smooth. I then right-clicked to change the settings and instead of the options box popping up the wavy-water-box screen appeared. I tried, after another hard rest, right-clicking n the nVidia icon by the clock in the bottom right of the screen and the wavy lines happened again. I did a hard reset again and this time while the programs were loading while Win XP did I double-left-clicked a folder on my desktop. It opened. I was able to open more folders and navigated, after/while Win XP finished loading, to the Riva Tuner folder. I ran it and it updated/loaded the registry items with no problems. I hoped to change the screen settings in here but couldn't find it. It showed the card as a 6800 GT with 16PP and running at stock speeds for core and RAM. I navigated to the control panel and then the wavy-water-lines appeared again but this time when I moved the mouse around the big box in the middle of the screen moved. The boxes I had hoped to open were not there -- Just the big way box representing the mouse cursor.
I have Direct X 9c installed. And all this time I had run the computer without the side on so I do not think it is a heat related or air flow issue but I could be wrong. Also, the monitor is a 20" CRT that runs at 1600x1200 MAX. I connected it to my 6800 GT with the S/VGA on the back of the card. It was originally connected to my 9600 SE with a DVI-2-VGA adapter.

Now, I have taken the card out and can only think of a few last things to do to test before I RMA it back for either a refund or a replacement. I figure my last options are to:

1) Fresh install of Win XP Pro SP2 and hope that there is a left over file on my current installation that is causing the trouble.

2) Run Knoppix 4.0.2 off a Live CD to see if the problem is there. If so, I would assume it is a driver conflict in Win XP or Win XP error. However, Knoppix 4 will not be able to use any hardware acceleration so it will not be a "real test" of the card.

3) Try the card under Safe Mode for awhile.

4) If I can find a friend with an AGP board try the card there.

The thing that strikes me is, I once flashed the 9600 SE to a regular 9600 and had similar but not exact way-lines. I flashed it back and it worked. Also, the wavy-lines of the 9600 SE started from the beginning of the boot up NOT after Win XP had been on for awhile (approximately a minute).

Please help! I'd really hate to have to RMA this back. If you need any more details or questions please ask. Any help you can give is much appreciated.

Thank You,

Adrian

AdriMagnon7

Bump!

Hi,

Please offer some ideas. I can't believe that nobody can add anything to help.

Adrian

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
Before you do fresh installs and such, try finding someone w/ an AGP board. Since your card was openbox, there's a pretty decent chance it's the card.

rpg711

Processor Intel P-4 3ghz @ to 4.7ghz 1.55 vcore
Motherboard ECS C19-A SLI
Cooling Thermaltake Golden Orb 2
Memory OCz ddr2 333mhz@ 432mhz 2 volts
Video Card(s) HIS ICEQ2 x800gto vivo 650/650 soon to volt mod
Storage 160gb seagate baracuda 7200 rpm+160gb western digital 7200rpm pata in pata raid 0
Display(s) Samsung 17" LCD
Case RAIDMAX MUSTANG
Audio Device(s) Realtec integrated sound with fiber optical and coaxal? lol never heard of that 1
Power Supply Ultra ULT31845 X-Finity 500W
Software Windows XP Pro,, getting 64 bit soon...
before you lose hope... try getting latest forceware drivers and software. Many people with nvidia video cards like seeing the wavys...:laugh: