• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Intel e8400 Wolfdale compatability??

:slap:Im searching everywhere and want to spring to buy the new intel Core 2 Duo e8400 Wolfdale processor. Its sweet.....3.0ghz 6MB cache, low power and heat 1333 FSB. But im not sure if its going to work with my MB. I have an Abit AB9 Pro with the latest bios 22. I read the past bios releases that have already added support for 1333 FSB processors. It's the P965 chipset. Im pretty sure it will work, but abit wont respond and I pretty much just need a kick in the A$$ or a swift elbow to back of the head saying YES , it works. Any suggestions guys. Oh it's about 225 bucks. :slap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i have an abit ip35 pro.. a e8400 sat on my table.. i am now wondering if the bloody thing is gonna work properly.. he he

my first checks had me thinking it would.. later checks just to make sure before i install the thing now has me wondering..

two bios releases back say support for the new chips but its still not officially listed as okay..

so i now think it will work but not properly.. folks are running the combo but say voltages and temps get reported wrong..

so u might not get such a clear cut answer as u want..

i will know quite soon.. gonna bung mine in shortly.. but for me its suck it and see with fingers crossed..

trog

Man, your pretty much sucking on the same "thing" as me. Only I havent bought it yet. However im ready to. Its a sexy little beast, however. If we throw em in, im sure we both want them working properly, especially for voltages and things of that nature. Cause I want to oc it pretty much right off the bat. Have you tried writing to abit to get a def. answer to as its compatability towards your bios and chipset? Im still waiting for a response. See, for my bios revisions, it lists fsb 1333 support two bioses ago, but no mention of Wolfdale specifically. But, then again the last bios relase was about 2 months ago, so it wasnt out yet. Other than that, its standard 1333fsb dual core processor. So, im 50 / 50 on it. Trying to make myself 90/10

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
i wouldnt even bother trying abit support.. they probably aint any wiser than we are.. which is why u dont get an answer..

i have read the abit forums.. the chips are very new and still hard to get hold of.. in my case its hazy grey area.. i would imagine yours is the same..

mine might be more complicated cos my board has abit guru.. its abit guru that might not work properly.. a pro board with working bios but a dodgy guru is what i expect..

not having accurate temp read outs (and possible voltage problems) aint good if u want to clock high..

trog

i think im just gonna suck it up and buy it from newegg. Yeah, your right and us being more in the light with compatability and what not here in the forums. FYI, im also running the abit uGuru in the bios. Its probably one of the best bios overclocking utilities I have ever used. thats why I want to stick with my board cause its rock solid.

Also, check this out.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3138

and this one is even better for you, not me though....but this is still early

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=3138&p=2

Last edited: