• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New iPhone woes

Why people even want wireless chargers when they are slow as dead turd? Is it really so hard to jack that cable into a device?

Well that's going to depend on whether you use the phone as a tool to maximize productivity or as an entertainment device / time sink / mental masturbation. If your not gaming and watching videos, shouldn't matter.

Using your argument, you can just as well say WiFi is a waste ... "Is it really so hard to jack an ethernet cable into a device ?" For me, I miss the day when I charged my smartphone once a week. and If I needed to, I really didn't cause would just swap batteries. But here's some of the obvious.

1. Do you care how long your data backup takes ? Mine takes about 3 minutes daily, 3 hours wouldn't change anything as I'm sleeping. If only using phone for productivity, you'll never need more than once charge a day ... Since most peeps sleep 7 - 8 hours, so on an overnight charge, why care if it's 2 or 8 ?

2. If you have ever served as an emergency responder, you are answering your phone 24/7 ... and when reaching over to the night stand, to grab the phone at 3:20 am, the cord is a real PITA. During Snowstorms, Hurricanes, etc .... after 3-4 days on site, I'd get as many as a dozen calls a night to approve various activities. I've knocked off medication bottles, glasses of water, etc where the cord pulled something off the nightstand.

3. When driving, if you have the phone on GPS, battery charge sinks fast. The cord thing is a PITA as at each job site or stop have to deal with plugging / unplugging the cord

4. When sitting on the desk, sitting in the stand, it leaves phone in an always accessible / viewable position. In addition, when laying on desk, ya find yaself unplugging / plugging so ya can sit back and relax in ya chair on every call.

5. If you are the type that uses their laptop to charge the phone, that's also a multi-hour event

5. I'm on my 4th cord for this phone .... 2 of them just disintergrated (as did every one I have ever owned ... (I tend to keep a phone 5-7 years). Replacement cords cords are $15 (I have had too much bad luck with "Walmart" type brands so only buy Samsing or Apple) , so are the wireless chargers (RavPower desktop stand, 10 watt is $12 on Amazon) tho many outlets provide one for free with purchase.

6. I just looked ... When the new iPhones came out, RavPower, Amazon, etc were all well stocked.... looked at 5 sites.... now all out of stock... so peeps are buying them.

7. Frankly, I was uninterested when my son said he was getting one ... but after talking with folks who use them, now I'm thinking more ... why not ? It's hard to justify buying that spare cord, when the WC is he same price.

Go Sony
(to the starter)
(my wife always has the XS versions and they are cute!)

Last edited:
System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
Something like the 6S but all screen would be nice. Since no one offered that at the time I got my new phone, I just decided to call it a day and get a S9+, haven't regretted it since.
I personally don't care about physical size, I know a lot of people in this thread do and as such are triggered by the lack of small form factor phones now a days.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
With so many phones to choose from, why does this group of women insist on buying the most expensive? iPhones are not cheap and I think it's true to say that the larger the phone, the better the spec.
But do women care about spec? My wife certainly doesn't and when I showed her my Note 8, she was pleased for me, but her eyes glazed over.

With so many phones to choose from, why does this group of women insist on buying the most expensive? iPhones are not cheap and I think it's true to say that the larger the phone, the better the spec.
But do women care about spec? My wife certainly doesn't and when I showed her my Note 8, she was pleased for me, but her eyes glazed over.

Well for younger generations of women, I think it's all about the hype. For older ones, yeah, I agree they don't look at the specs that much. As long as they can do the essentials (messasing, social media, a few cute games), they're all set. Oh, the camera is sometimes a determining factor too.