• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New Ryzen build - system freezes - not the a-typical black screen or WHEA

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
After some great advisement by fellow members, I have recently platform JUMPED (ok that might be extreme) from Sandybridge to AM5
And while it's pretty much been good overall, I am stumped about system crashing that is occurring

I might have to update this post as I go as I will invariably think of something later that was missed out

Symptom
System freezes and stays that way indefinitely until I restart manually
  • The audio will keep playing (though it does not stutter and lead onto a BSOD
  • Visuals are frozen
  • Light on keyboard and other peripherals go out
  • Input of any type has no effect

Observations

Only seems to occurs when the following is true :
  • -3D Application such as a game is running
and
  • - A web browser is open
Only seems to occur when the above is true and I believe also (anecdotally) that :
  • I haven't been using the system for a moment or
  • I alt tabbed or moved mouse to other monitor or
  • I do a scroll on the browser on other monitor
    E.g. under load it doesn't occur - and by load I mean the 3D program/game is the focus window(not necessarily full load as in boosting cores/maximum output)

Other :

• When it happens I hear a slight jump in fan speed which suggests to me the CPU has been ramped up/possibly boosting and therefore outputting more heat - of note it's not excessively high, only a moderate increase in fan cycle, which to me (since I set a curve) I know is still within safe temperatures. May not be relevant though might give weight to the idea this could be something to due with sleeping or parked cores trying to spring into action then crashing
  • It never occurs during boot or start up of windows (login, services start, programs start etc).
  • Some occasions ( not the majority), there's activity even after it freezes - where the screen ever so slightly flickers. By flicker I mean a pulsing of brightness higher, then lower, then higher etc. This might be the physical screen refreshing (yet the supplied image is static), causing some type of anomaly our eyes can detect.
  • The time span or interval(s) before it begins is dependent upon when I start a 3D program + a browser e.g. I could go for quite a while without the issue, and then when I meet above conditions it can happen five minutes, or forty-five minutes later
  • Memory dumps are infrequent, there isn't one every time or even every other time that this occurs(and the ones I have seen are not very helpful)
  • After each crash, my mouse settings through Razer Synapse do not work. The program/app loads, however I have to manually exit and relaunch it. Then it is OK
    This happens which each crash/manual reset
  • Can occur when running 3D application or game from two different drives. e.g. One NVME SSD and the other a rust disk

Windows event viewer /error tracking :

• Windows event viewer has no clear errors that shed light on this or seem related - I can see the event log entries and Kernel entries about unplanned system shutdown though not what caused it
  • There's only three WHEA errors and those only occurred a few weeks ago when I was doing some manual voltage testing and was too undervolted to be stable
  • I do have some critical and warnings (mostly warnings) entries however :
    A) The timing of them does not always align with the crashes or anywhere remotely close
    B) The frequency of them is such that it happens multiple times in between each crash. One would think if it was causing the crash it wouldn't error multiple times THEN cause the crash, it would be the first time every time

Examples include

Critical
    Event 131, DeviceSetupManager - "Metadata staging failed, result=0x80004005 for container '{2D4CAE54-5B69-5328-BC5D-AF10B6CDF8DF}'"
    Event 10010, Distributed Com - "The server {8CFC164F-4BE5-4FDD-94E9-E2AF73ED4A19} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

Warning
    Event 122, DeviceSetupManager - "Access to drivers on Windows Update was blocked by policy"
    Event 200, DeviceSetupManager - "A connection to the Windows Update service could not be established."
    Event 201, DeviceSetupManager - "A connection to the Windows Metadata and Internet Services (WMIS) could not be established."
    Event 202, DeviceSetup Manager - "The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet."
    Event 360, User Device Recognition - "Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched. Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested
    User has logged on with AAD credentials: No
    Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested
    Windows Hello for Business post-logon provisioning is enabled: Not Tested

Event 10016, Distributed Com - "The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    Windows.SecurityCenter.WscDataProtection
    and APPID Unavailable
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

Things I have tried

System/Applications/Services

• All BIOS settings to default
  • Latest BIOS from manufacturer
  • All motherboard recommended standard drivers(Chipset, LAN, etc.)
  • No devices outstanding in Device Manager
  • Latest Windows update
  • Starting Windows with selective - Microsoft only /non user services
  • Starting Windows with virtually no programs /user programs
  • Used both Edge and Brave browser (relevance here is it seems to only happen when browser is running)
  • Disable/enable hardware acceleration (for example had off in Edge and on in Brave)
  • Windows power plan with minimum processor state at 5% versus 90% versus 95%
  • Power plan adjusted to not allow anything to auto turn off or goto sleep or similar
  • Amended BIOS for testing with :
    • PSU idle power behavior to "typical" instead of "auto" or "low"
    • Disabled C-states and DF states
    • Attempted to set positive offset voltage( no joke, I cannot - apparently according to AsRock this was disabled, yet you can still change voltages overall...)
    • Set the DDR Power management to disable the idle state /lower power state of DDR5
    • Set RAM to use EXPO to see whether it would bump the voltage as part of the settings to give more stability(assuming the automatically supplied voltage is not enough)
    • Set RAM manual timings to ensure they match the advertised product speeds

Graphics /Video card/hardware
  • Windows graphics settings (GPU acceleration, Variable Rate, Games Optimization disabled)
  • Graphics drivers removed reinstalled
  • Disabled onboard GPU in Device manager
  • Disconnecting any additional monitors physically (or in software /both)
  • Tried to recreate while having Edge/Brave on the main monitor versus a secondary or tertiary monitor - happens on both monitors
  • Reseated GPU in motherboard
  • Checked mount studs for case - > motherboard they seem OK
  • Set Nvidia properties to allow all programs, even browser to use Performance /Maximum ; also tested with Optimal Power setting

Miscellaneous

• Loaded up a Windows install from another drive
  • Checked temperatures for CPU, Cores, motherboard components/VRM, RAM, SSD/rust drives, GPU
  • Power delivery seems OK - I find no power bottlenecking /delivery issues and when programs are going, they are going without issue (clock speeds boost, wattage is delivered as expected)

Tests run
(no errors found)
  • Ycruncher, Prime 95 and Core cycler
  • OCCT
  • Memtest64and classic RAM test
  • AIDA 64 benchmarks
  • Cinebench
  • Various game or 3Dmark benchmarks

=--=

Thoughts thus far..
  • Given it happens on stock settings that is concerning
  • Hardware cause instead of software seems more likely be the case as it also occurs when I load up the other Windows system install on a separate SSD drive which admittedly is also Windows 11 though a previous version and - of note doesn't included all the same drivers, as it was from the Sandybridge system prior
  • It seems to be more on a low power or low clock usage, where maybe coming out of sleep state or similar is resulting in a crash. And I could understand when using a heavy negative Curve Optimizer as it is known to be unstable at low voltage draw or frequency. However Curve is off and I also disabled the C and DF states in the testing
  • It's not the a-typical symptoms you would associate with unstable system due to low voltage setting or in Ryzen's case PBO and Curve Optimizer (even if there was one) i.e. no BSOD, no WHEA, no black screen and system reboot
  • I don't believe the aforementioned Event Viewer entries are related. Reading around they seem to be par for the course with Windows and often benign. As well a red herring or misleading - for example it states my Network List is not working or indicates I have no network connection however I do
  • Memory dumps haven't been proved to be much use though should anyone else want a copy to take a crack at looking over it, please ask
  • I am in possession of a system restore that is /was made not long after Windows install, with some drivers updated and effectively a baseline before any custom/user stuff was installed. I have not tried restoring to that point yet
  • Real time note : I have been web browsing, doing this post and etc on/off for forty minutes - no issues,

Trying to think of some other tests or ways to do analysis to get at least some idea of where this is stemming from just to get a baseline
I wish this was a simple as straight forward as an extreme negative Curve Optimizer was resulting in black screens or WHEA - at least then it makes sense

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
Does this do it to you only under load or at idle as well? - The black screen.

I've experienced this before and it has been for me (at least), video card once and a SSD another time related. Many more times over the years, but that's all I can think of that is most recent.

Just a few months ago it was the SSD, all games would eventually freeze 10 minutes to 3 hours. Until I decided to move games to a different drive and all the problems went away. I went down the list until I was out of ideas lol.

System Name KHR-1
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASRock B550 PG Velocita (UEFI-BIOS P3.40)
Memory 32 GB G.Skill RipJawsV F4-3200C16D-32GVR
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT
Storage Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF OLED-ASRock PG27Q15R2A (backup)
Case Corsair 275R
Audio Device(s) Technics SA-EX140 receiver with Polk VT60 speakers
Power Supply eVGA Supernova G3 750W
Mouse Logitech G Pro (Hero)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 23H2
Those event log messages are Windows bugs. Except for the Event 122 warning, because of Windows Update being blocked from installing drivers. (normal)

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
It is definitely more on the lower cycle/idle side
Keep in mind I am not black screening, it's freezing yet all visuals are still on screen

I am mindful about the GPU however it was the same one I had in previous build where this behavior did not exist.

I'll take your point about the hard drive though I updated the thread now to comment on that thank you

Those event log messages are Windows bugs. Except for the Event 122 warning, because of Windows Update being blocked from installing drivers. (normal)

Appreciate the feedback

Last edited:
Did you try turning off hardware acceleration for the web browser? This is a major issue with chromium based browsers, at least for me & even for the same version (111.11.1x et al) one browser could have this issue like Chrome & the other may not like Opera. Which is really frustrating because even if you disable any feature flags the issue could still persist, even with just default configuration & only hardware acceleration tuned on! I've had to manually tune many browsers like that & because I use more than one it's a real PITA :shadedshu:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Did you try turning off hardware acceleration for the web browser? This is a major issue with chromium based browsers, at least for me & even for the same version (111.11.1x et al) one browser could have this issue like Chrome & the other may not like Opera. Which is really frustrating because even if you disable any feature flags the issue could still persist, even with just default configuration & only hardware acceleration tuned on! I've had to manually tune many browsers like that & because I use more than one it's a real PITA :shadedshu:
Aye, I have
Updated post above to include this now

And it may not be the browser, just seems that whenever this happens it is open versus when it's not open I cannot recall this happening
Though still going to try again this weekend for another long stint of several hours with no browsers open

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Sometimes an order of operations matters.......or at least helps..........

when I do a new build I usually

set bios to default
confirm xmp., etc. is Disabled in bios
confirm UEFI in bios enabled
I make a memtest on a bootable USB and let it run 24 hours before installing windows
windows iso - i will confirm checksum before making bootable usb - usually check usb drive to make sure it doesn't have bad sectors, etc.
make sure GPT when formatting/installing windows (usually disconnected from internet)
install chipset driver
run some tests on a clean windows install with no internet to make sure it's good, check CPUz, etc., to confirm voltages, frequencies etc.

if its all good after that - then make a restore point and start installing things, one at a time with a reboot between each one to make trouble shooting easier if something goes south

System Name Desktop | Lappy
Processor 14900KS | 7735HS
Motherboard Z790 Apex Encore | Asus TUF
Cooling Arctic LF III 420 | Some Fans and Heatpipes
Memory 48GB 8200 CL38 | 32GB 4800 CL34
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Super | RX 7700S
Display(s) MSI MAG401QR | 16" 1200p 165Hz
Case Asus PA602 | Plastic
Power Supply Vertex GX-1000 | Brick
Software Something Debian Based | Manjaro
Benchmark Scores They suck.
I'm going to say it's a problem with the older design PSU. That model came out in like 2011. Do you have a newer unit you can try?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Sometimes an order of operations matters.......or at least helps..........

when I do a new build I usually

set bios to default
confirm xmp., etc. is Disabled in bios
confirm UEFI in bios enabled
I make a memtest on a bootable USB and let it run 24 hours before installing windows
windows iso - i will confirm checksum before making bootable usb - usually check usb drive to make sure it doesn't have bad sectors, etc.
make sure GPT when formatting/installing windows (usually disconnected from internet)
install chipset driver
run some tests on a clean windows install with no internet to make sure it's good, check CPUz, etc., to confirm voltages, frequencies etc.

if its all good after that - then make a restore point and start installing things, one at a time with a reboot between each one to make trouble shooting easier if something goes south
Hear you on that, I did exactly that - got installed to a reasonable 'baseline'

I haven't restored to that date though - will mention in original post
Should I make a restore point now, will windows allow me to go back then forward again ?

I'm going to say it's a problem with the older design PSU. That model came out in like 2011. Do you have a newer unit you can try?
I have another PSU however it's older
I am also mindful it was fine in the Sandybridge system a month ago so it hasn't been at top suspects list

Should I buy one if nothing else as a test- any recommendations? I am not up on current Power Supply technology
I take the argument over single high 12amp rail versus multi rail is a dead one
And that 80 Platinum is the new 'gold' standard

I would probably get an 850 watt again, something that is modular for sure

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Seasonic or Superflower or Andyson Based

OP, you've upgraded to an AM5 system & your using a decade old PSU... come on man, get real here! that PSU may seem fine in older systems but newer ones not so much.
Seriously, upgrade that PSU asap. A gold standard grade is perfectly fine, no need to go overboard unless you have $ to burn.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Seasonic or Superflower or Andyson Based
Thanks

One thing I didn't mention in my post (although I cannot modify /edit any posts now today....) is that I BIOS flashed successfully to their 1.21 which
was created to address the SoC voltage issue on AMD motherboards

1. Update AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.6.
2. Improve memory compatibility.
3. Optimize for Ryzen 7000X3D series processor.
4. Recommend for upgrade BIOS if 7000X3D processor is installed.

There's another one out however seems reports are that's a poor BIOS causing lots of issues
The next one for AGESA 1.0.0.8 (or .9) is in testing currently. I am hoping that is out soon and I can move to that version

Last edited:

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
OP, you've upgraded to an AM5 system & your using a decade old PSU... come on man, get real here! that PSU may seem fine in older systems but newer ones not so much.
Seriously, upgrade that PSU asap. A gold standard grade is perfectly fine, no need to go overboard unless you have $ to burn.
Absolutely. Power supplies can still "work", while having degraded output due to age and wear. The specs it had at new are certainly not what it will be running now.

Check out our reviews for PSUs https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...ditorschoice=1&recommended=1&pp=25&order=date.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ This list is also somewhat reliable if you choose a unit from a higher tier.

You don't need to overspend, as your system is relatively low powered, but I'd look into getting a good quality 850 W + platform, to somewhat future proof you, and as you seem to keep PSUs for a long time. Corsair/Seasonic would be my first choice, but there are other good manufacturers too.

If I were planning to get a PSU I'd keep for a decade it would be a Seasonic Prime unit, or for SFX, what I have now.

Look into getting an ATX 3.0 PSU if you can afford the extra 20% premium or so, it's a good standard moving forwards.

Even if this turns out to not be the root cause of your main issue, it's still a very good idea to replace a PSU that's a decade old (assuming it's seen regular use).

To troubleshoot, you could remove the GPU and use the iGPU in your 7600X, perhaps the reduced power load would eliminate the issue, but it depends how worn out your PSU is.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Indeed I was about to say recently and without any prior issue I had this happen on my Am4 rig after a clean install, the audio continued that had not happened before I actually thought the picture a Yt vid was caching.

Maybe not tied but maybe just OS

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad L14 G2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i5-1135G7 Tiger Lake-U
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo BDPLANAR Bios 1.68
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo C-267C-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ WD RED SN700 1TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | Innolux 14" 1080p
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo L14 G2 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | L14 G2 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr

Not gonna tell u how old my Seasonic Prime 1.2K watt is than ;)

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Not gonna tell u how old my Seasonic Prime 1.2K watt is than ;)
You have a 1.2 KW unit, which is probably still able to output at least 800 W, even with degradation. An 850 W unit may have degraded to 600 W or even less.

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad L14 G2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i5-1135G7 Tiger Lake-U
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo BDPLANAR Bios 1.68
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo C-267C-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ WD RED SN700 1TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | Innolux 14" 1080p
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo L14 G2 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | L14 G2 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
You have a 1.2 KW unit, which is probably still able to output at least 800 W, even with degradation. An 850 W unit may have degraded to 600 W or even less.

Last year it ran a RTX 3090 fin even overclocked so I think it still does more but these days it's having a lighter load if you check my system specs even I just upgraded from a RX 6800 XT Red Devil to a RX 7900 XT Speedster Merc310.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Absolutely. Power supplies can still "work", while having degraded output due to age and wear. The specs it had at new are certainly not what it will be running now.

Check out our reviews for PSUs https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...ditorschoice=1&recommended=1&pp=25&order=date.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ This list is also somewhat reliable if you choose a unit from a higher tier.

You don't need to overspend, as your system is relatively low powered, but I'd look into getting a good quality 850 W + platform, to somewhat future proof you, and as you seem to keep PSUs for a long time. Corsair/Seasonic would be my first choice, but there are other good manufacturers too.

If I were planning to get a PSU I'd keep for a decade it would be a Seasonic Prime unit, or for SFX, what I have now.

Look into getting an ATX 3.0 PSU if you can afford the extra 20% premium or so, it's a good standard moving forwards.

Even if this turns out to not be the root cause of your main issue, it's still a very good idea to replace a PSU that's a decade old (assuming it's seen regular use).

To troubleshoot, you could remove the GPU and use the iGPU in your 7600X, perhaps the reduced power load would eliminate the issue, but it depends how worn out your PSU is.
I like this idea and I did consider it, however the internal GPU may not be able to load some games/3D programs? making it unable to recreate the scenario.
Something I'll have look into again

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
After some more tedious testing, it seems this is the cause

1684875927820.png

I thought I had disabled it prior (and likely I did - though probably enabled it again in haste or by accident )