• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

newbie questions on legion 5 pro i7

flowerpixel

I purchased a legion 5 pro intel Core i7 13th Gen 13700HX 1.5GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 8GB GDDR6; 32GB DDR5-4800 RAM

a few days ago and while playing bg3 my CPU reached 100 degrees. Someone suggested I install throttlestop

I have "undervolt protection" disabled and "legion optimization" (unlock CPU overclocking) enabled in the bios. And in vantage I have CPU overclocking enabled

question: BD PROCHOT is still greyed out. Is that okay or will none of this work? In fivr I can adjust voltage. I just put -100 for CPU core and cache p and e. The max temp in ts bench is still mid 90s. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post some screenshots so I can see your ThrottleStop settings.

BD PROCHOT is still greyed out
Most 12th Gen and newer computers have decided to lock out BD PROCHOT adjustment. ThrottleStop can no longer be used to easily disable BD PROCHOT. The only way to unlock this is with a modified BIOS. BD PROCHOT being locked is only a problem if you have a BD PROCHOT throttling problem. Does Limit Reasons show BD PROCHOT in red or does the log file show BDPRO in the far right column? Probably not but double check because it might.

BD PROCHOT being greyed out does not interfere with the rest of the ThrottleStop settings.

Mobile 13th Gen HX processors run extremely hot. An undervolt will help a little. It is not going to completely fix an excessively hot CPU. This is an Intel problem. Great performance but their latest mobile chips run way too hot. Laptop manufacturers need to up their game and include larger heatsinks and more powerful fans.

You can use ThrottleStop to lower the turbo power limits. This will reduce the heat but it will also reduce performance.

Intel is aware that their mobile CPUs run at up to 100°C during normal use. You are not going to hurt your Intel CPU running it under this maximum temperature. The CPU will automatically thermal throttle and slow down to protect against any long term damage when it reaches 100°C. Most Lenovo laptops start thermal throttling a couple of degrees before reaching the full Intel 100°C limit. A screenshot of the main screen will show what the PROCHOT temperature is set to.

System Name ASUS TUF F15
Processor Intel Core i5-10300H
Motherboard ASUS FX506LHB
Cooling Laptop built-in cooling lol
Memory 24GB @ 2933 Dual Channel
Video Card(s) Intel UHD & Nvidia GTX 1650 Mobile
Storage WD Black SN770 NVMe 1TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) Laptop built-in 144 Hz FHD screen
Audio Device(s) LOGITECH 2.1-channel
Power Supply ASUS 180W PSU (from more powerful ASUS TUF DASH F15 lol)
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 7 TKL
Software Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2
I have 10300H Asus Tuf. TS all the way is gray. the 1st thing I've tried to disable turbo (and with your 13700HX I believe it's not VERY big deal because anyway you won't play with 4070 at 1080p lmfao, aren't you?), now I plus the thing just lowering the turbo power limits (i've tried with the multiplier too), and I'm happy now, I've locked my CPU for running in it's INTEL SPECIFIED 45W, not hilarious desktop like 58+ W the Asus has been selected for kiddy heatsink they installed there...

flowerpixel

Thank you!

That's good to know bd prochot isn't going to interfere with anything. Also, I was kind of beating myself up because I saw a really good deal on an i9hx but now I'm worried it would run even hotter than i7hx. It sounds as though it's currently inevitable that a laptop with run a bit hot. I am glad I don't actually "game" too much because I have nerve damage in my hands. The most intense game I run is bg3.

So I don't really know what I'm doing, I saw this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LenovoLegion/comments/157tc5l it's obviously different than my laptop but it gave me the idea to tweak Vantage settings and fans. I think that is making a difference. the fan comes on a lot now.

Here's some screenshots. I copied the reddit posts and lowered turbo groups???? nothing has crashed so far. I didn't know if I should edit CPU cache E, so I only edited P:

(im going to play bg3 with rivatuner today and just see what happens)

Attachments

• throttlestop_fivr.png
    throttlestop_fivr.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 177
  • throttlestop_fivr2.png
    throttlestop_fivr2.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 172
  • throttlestop_main_fixed.png
    throttlestop_main_fixed.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 185

unclewebb

lowered turbo groups
Lowering the FIVR Turbo Groups is an excellent way to slow a CPU down, reduce its power consumption and heat output. Another thing you can try is lowering the turbo power limits in the TPL window. Post a TPL screenshot.

Just keep in mind that Intel CPUs are designed to run at up to 100°C. The Legion series includes better than average cooling. Do not be afraid to use your laptop. The CPU temperature is not too important as long as it runs smoothly.

Run the TS Bench 960M test after adjusting voltages. Make sure this test does not report any errors. It is a good basic stability test. Any errors in this test indicate that your CPU needs more voltage. Some users are only undervolting the P core and P cache and are leaving the E cache at the default offset of 0 mV like you are doing. I have never tested a similar CPU so I do not know what will work best for your CPU. You seem to be on the right track.

flowerpixel

Here is the tpl window, i've never actually opened this before.
throttlestop_tpl.png

Happy to report my max temp after running ts bench 960m was only 79. Before it was mid 90s. and i played bg3 for a bit with the frame rate max set to 60 fps... My temperature only reached 81 degrees!

I won't be afraid to use my laptop anymore :) Yeah, I'm definitively glad I got a lenovo.

unclewebb

My temperature only reached 81 degrees!
ThrottleStop puts you in control of your laptop. Some users are quite happy using ThrottleStop to slow their CPUs down. Sacrificing a small amount of performance in exchange for a big drop in temperatures is worth it.

1700590752313.png

Some manufacturers use big MSR PL1 power limit number to create the illusion of a powerful laptop. The MMIO PL1 power limit is set to only 55W. The lowest set power limit wins control of the CPU. The 140W number is a bit of a con job because it is never used. Big power limit numbers are kind of like shady used car salesmen that like to advertise big horsepower numbers when selling cars.

I prefer to check the MMIO Lock box. Doing this disables this secondary set of turbo power limits. It is not necessary to have two completely separate sets of turbo power limits. After checking MMIO Lock, you can clear the Disable Controls box and set the MSR turbo power and time limits to whatever values you like. If your cooling system can handle dissipating 80W of heat during a long term stress test without the CPU overheating then set the MSR PL1 power limit to 80W. If you want a cooler laptop, use 70W or 60W. Set PL2 to somewhere around 100W to 120W and set the turbo time limit to about 8 seconds. This is just an alternate way to control the excessive heat your CPU can produce.

Lowering the turbo groups reduces the CPU speed all of the time even when it is lightly loaded. Setting the turbo groups to their default values and reducing the power limits to control the CPU allows the CPU to run at full speed when lightly loaded. It will only need to slow down when the load and power consumption are significant.

If you are happy how your laptop is running as is then leave your settings as is. Go enjoy playing a game and using your laptop at a more reasonable temperature.

flowerpixel

haha okay, so I'm not sure if I did this correctly but we'll see! worst case I can always just change it back
tpl_msr.png

unclewebb

It looks OK. Push the Apply button and find out. The Time limit at the top should change from 56 seconds to 8 seconds.

worst case I can always just change it back
That is the important part. When using ThrottleStop you can do whatever you want. If it does not accomplish whatever you are trying to accomplish then go back to your previous settings.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 5600mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560x1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
haha okay, so I'm not sure if I did this correctly but we'll see! worst case I can always just change it back
View attachment 322757
Check to see if Lenovo has undervolting in the Bios, I believe they might have it. I'm looking at this laptop model for my next laptop, I wanted something smaller that this current laptop I have.