• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Beeps on POST with memory...

bohica_34613

System Name IT , that thing
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @3.2 29c @ 1.28v
Motherboard ASUS P5K3 DELUXE
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7
Memory 2Gb OCZ DDR3
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD3850 512
Storage WD Raptor 74gb 10,000 SATA/WD 250 Gb SATA
Display(s) Acer X203W
Case Coolermaster
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Thermaltake 600w
Software XP PRO SP2
It should work , can you get to a library or someplace where you can d/l a new BIOS to a flashdrive ?

jolly_olie

yeh il use my dads laptop to download the bios, then head to the shop, try new ram, if that dosent work, then new CPU, then new CPU and RAM, if that fails il presume the MoBo is knackered. Wish me luck!
olie

psd99

Hello all,

Hello Ollie, I am a googler and managed to get on this page.

I am currently building a new rig myself. I have got all my parts but no CPU or CPU fan/heatsink.
I got a Asus P5Q3 motherboard with 4GB of CM3X2048-1333C9DHX memory.
When having a look on the QVL list I know it wasn't on there but the CM3X1028-1333C9DHX is on there. I reckon I am taking a bit of a risk with this.

I might end up suffering like you do. I would have a problem using some other DDR3 memory because none has really got it yet. I've heard lots people struggling with getting a post because the CPU isn't supported on the BIOS that is shipped out. I reckon this is a real problem how is one meant to update the BIOS?

Also I am more concerned with memory voltage that has been mentioned on here. It will be a concern.

Well I will be watching your thread closely and hope you can solve this. Wishing you all the best.

jolly_olie

hey psd99
I dunno about anyone else, but mine certainly posted a couple of times before failing to post, so if I had known about it i could have flashed the BIOS then. I dont know if you'd want to risk it though.
olie
ps system is in shop, theyre just waiting for some DDR3 memory to arrive on monday lol

psd99

Hi mate look forward to it.

Thanks for your bit of advice I must download the latest BIOS version and then use EZFLASH the very first time I get a boot. I don't see any risks what that though?

What about the memory voltage what shall I change in the BIOS or will the new BIOS have it allready?

jolly_olie

hmm well just got my computer back from the shop, they wanted to charge me £24 just to tell me that the BIOS was an old version that wouldnt support my processor and memory, despite me telling them that when i took it in, and they havnt even sorted it cos they dont have DDR3 memory. well thanks for that...... i ended up paying a tenner anyhow, but am not impressed. Im thinking im just gonna take it with me when i go to uni on sunday, and hope someone can sort it down there, else RMA the MoBo and get Asus to update trhe BIOS for me.
Olie
ps psd99 sorry for late reply, im not expert, but i personally, in light of whats happened to me, wouldnt want to take a gamble on the system booting just once to flash the BIOS. Best of luck though, let me know if you do that and if it works!

psd99

hmm well just got my computer back from the shop, they wanted to charge me £24 just to tell me that the BIOS was an old version that wouldnt support my processor and memory, despite me telling them that when i took it in, and they havnt even sorted it cos they dont have DDR3 memory. well thanks for that...... i ended up paying a tenner anyhow, but am not impressed. Im thinking im just gonna take it with me when i go to uni on sunday, and hope someone can sort it down there, else RMA the MoBo and get Asus to update trhe BIOS for me.
Olie
ps psd99 sorry for late reply, im not expert, but i personally, in light of whats happened to me, wouldnt want to take a gamble on the system booting just once to flash the BIOS. Best of luck though, let me know if you do that and if it works!

Hi,

That is a shame so you gave them your setup but they didn't even have DDR3 memory?

Plus they charge you for something you already knew? Gosh that is ridiculous. They could have told you the moment you gave it to them that they don't have DDR3 memory.

Dude looks like the solution is simple here all you need is someone with DDR3 memory that is on the QVL list. As for a processor (should you need one to flash BIOS) that should be easy getting DDR3 memory is the trouble here.

Well my CPU is on the way I opted for the notorious Q6600, I got a friend on hand to offer me another CPU which should boot, but with regards to DDR3 memory I will be a little stuck.
I hope I get a POST, I reckon I would rather have a "beeping problem" than a damaged motherboard without any POST. I have already downloaded the latest BIOS and wish to flash it.
Do you know if you could have flashed your BIOS when it did POST? (ezflash)

p.s if you want to see pictures of my setup so far let me know and i'll get you the link.

jolly_olie

Hi
Yeh, trouble is i dont know many ppl who build their own systems, and so no-one has gone the DDR3 route yet, is your memory on the QVL list? Hopefully someone at Southampton Uni should have a system or parts that i can scrounge lol. As for the EZFlash, my manual says that if it posts you can flash it, so yeh i certainly could've if id known at the time haha.
Yeh id like to see your setup, hit me up with that link. Iv still got a small pile of parts that havnt gone in yet haha. Like my actual graphics card (which won't physically fit inside my case.....but thats another saga. Hacksaw here i come!)
Olie

psd99

Well yes and no my memory is on the list but the difference is one the QVL they got 1024 (1gb) and I got 2048 (2gb) sticks but the rest of the numbers match up.

I reckon we got a very similar setup I got a 9800 GT and a Coolermaster Cosmos, with a Cosair 620 W PSU. Hard drives are mainly Samsungs.

Okay check these PAGES out there are loads of them:

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3614024-1.php

Pictures are scattered all over :)