• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No USB devices recognized

TahiriVeil

Greetings,

I ran into a strange problem when trying to build a PC for my uncle and hope this is the right forum/subforum for it as I saw a similar question when I asked Dr. Google.

First some backstory that may or may not be in any way related to the current issue. H went with a Seasonic M12II-520 EVO with CM, a Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H, Intel i5 6400, Sapphire Radeon RX550 (don't think that could have anything to do with it, but who knows..) and CRUCIAL Ballistix Sport LT 2x 4GB RAM. He ordered it, saying his son promised to build the system. Well, he never had time in the end and so I came into the game (of course after the 2 weeks we could have sent everything back in). Put it all together with a Samsung EVO SSD and a cheap LG drive, plugged everything in, pressed the button and never got a displaysignal - neither from the RX550, nor from the onboard one. Ran for a few seconds, every fan and LED working as intended and no unusual speaker beeping, reset on his own, repeat. Tried reducing to the minimum needed (PSU, mainboard, 1x RAM, CPU) but nothng changed. Tried playing around with other components I had at home, but didn't have a mainboard or spare PSU and didn't want to put parts from my own PC into something that might be damaged. So I went the jerk route and ordered a new mainboard from Amazon, thinking I could send it back if it doesn't fix the problem. I ordered an ASUS B250M-K, mostly because the reviews seemed fine and there was a comment from somebody who used the same RAM and a similar CPU with it. Back to the minimum test and voila a signal. Things looked great, so I went on and added the SSD and drive.

No insert the real issue:
Plugged in my wired keyboard and mouse (tried other keyboards and mouses I had available too) but none worked in the BIOS. ASUS seems to "force" you to enter BIOS once, befor going on with your life and installing an OS. So there is this screen telling you what devices are detected and no matter what port or what I added, not a single USB device was shown. I managed to get my hand on a PS2 keyboard and when I go to Advanced -> USB Configuration it tells me that there is 1 XHCI Controller (I saw some screenshots where people had something like 3 or 4 shown, so maybe that's a thing worth mentioning?). Other options are Legacy USB Support (Enabled), USB Keyboard and Mouse Simulator (same) and USB Single Port Control (shows all as Enabled, but I have no idea which ones are the ones on the backside of the board or if it even matters).

Went ahead and installed Win7 Prof 64bit (later learned that this is not the best idea with the combination of CPU and board), and of course no USB device worked under Windows either, even with installed USB3.0 driver from the disc that came with the board. Get the same error 10 thingy that says it could not be activated that people seem to get when they try without the drivers. Now that seemed like a driver issue, but then I still didn't manage to get any devices to be recognized in BIOS and that seems to work in every thread or question I find on this topic.

I updated the BIOS (via Internet..that works just fine unlike the USB option..) to the newest version with no change. When I plug in a USB drive with a LED it lights up for a second or 2 and then goes dark without any reaction by the BIOS. The questions I keep asking myself: How high are the chances of me getting 2 out of 2 faulty boards? If not the board, can any other combination of hardware cause this?

Open for any and all ideas at this point..

Just a quick thought : could you check if all your cpu's pins are ok (none bent) ? you will probably need a magnifier to do that.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Back to the minimum test and voila a signal. Things looked great, so I went on and added the SSD and drive.
Ummm, you can't have bent pins on a CPU that doesn't have pins. The i5s use pads. If you somehow bent the pins in the socket, the CPU likely would not mount properly. So I would advise against checking for bent pins as you risk damage from ESD, or dropping something into the socket and then bending pins.
The questions I keep asking myself: How high are the chances of me getting 2 out of 2 faulty boards? If not the board, can any other combination of hardware cause this?
While certainly possible, it seems unlikely you would get two bad new boards.

Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert an extra standoff (or two!) under the motherboard. The result ranges from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to "intermittent problems" to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all). So you might want to verify you only inserted a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

what makes me head scratch is that the 2x usb2.0 at the back too not working?
My thoughts too. Are you using the USB 2.0 ports in back?

TahiriVeil

try to switch xhci to auto or disable it
default should be smart auto?

do ya have win7 64 with service pack or not?

which driver are ya installing ?
http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/mb_driver_intel_usb3_200series_w7.zip

and you installed bios F9e?

what makes me head scratch is that the 2x usb2.0 at the back too not working?

I'm not finding an option to do anything to xhci in the BIOS, any idea where that should be located? As mentioned it's not with the Advanced USB things.

Yes, with SP. But I'm pretty sure it should at least work in BIOS even if I had a Win driver issue?

The Intel USB3.0_5.0.0.32 from the ASUS page for the board with Win 7 64bit selected. (I think I added too much backstory, using the ASUS one, not the GB one)

Version 1010 with a date of 1-2 weeks ago.

Ummm, you can't have bent pins on a CPU that doesn't have pins. The i5s use pads. If you somehow bent the pins in the socket, the CPU likely would not mount properly. So I would advise against checking for bent pins as you risk damage from ESD, or dropping something into the socket and then bending pins.
While certainly possible, it seems unlikely you would get two bad new boards.

Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So it is common for cases to have more motherboard mounting points than boards have mounting holes. A common mistake by the less experienced and distracted pros alike is to insert an extra standoff (or two!) under the motherboard. The result ranges from "nothing" (everything works perfectly) to "intermittent problems" to "nothing" (as in nothing works at all). So you might want to verify you only inserted a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

My thoughts too. Are you using the USB 2.0 ports in back?

The board is small enough to perfectly fit the cases spots for screws in every but 1 place. It sits without touching anything anywhere it does not have a hole. Only thing is that I could not get a screw in where the F-Panel connectors are, but there is no preassure there and I was super careful when I connected the things in that area to not bend the board.

I tried mouse and keyboard (and USB drive) in every combination of ports, yeah. No combination showed any life except for the drives 1-2secs of lighting up.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The board is small enough to perfectly fit the cases spots for screws in every but 1 place.
Missing a standoff is not a problem (as long as you don't flex the board when inserting connectors, RAM, etc. - and you were careful there). It is having extra standoffs under the board that matters.

Have you tried a second power supply? It does not seem like a power issue but odd hardware issues are often the result of odd PSU problems. Since EVERYTHING relies on good, clean, stable power, ensuring you are delivering it can't hurt.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Have you tried a second power supply? It does not seem like a power issue but odd hardware issues are often the result of odd PSU problems.

This also applies to memory. I have seen the weirdest problems in all of my experience with faulty memory although I don't believe this is the cause of the problem.

What is the most puzzling to me is that the devices aren't recognized in BIOS. The USB issue usually occurs during the handoff from BIOS to windows during installation.

Are you certain that there isn't any option in the BIOS to adjust xHCI?

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Agree. And the sad part is, while software-based RAM diagnostic tools are good, none are conclusive. If they report any errors, even one, the RAM is bad. But it is not uncommon for them to report no problems, yet the RAM still fails in use, and/or when paired with other RAM. So, you might try running with just a single RAM stick to see if it fails. Or use MemTest86. This is the best out there as it is kept current by the developers.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
only screens i found of your bios:
look at 0,34sec

maybe try in the boot menu:
ps2 devices support enabled
disable fastboot so all usb are initialised-with fast boot only partial

Last edited:

TahiriVeil

Agree. And the sad part is, while software-based RAM diagnostic tools are good, none are conclusive. If they report any errors, even one, the RAM is bad. But it is not uncommon for them to report no problems, yet the RAM still fails in use, and/or when paired with other RAM. So, you might try running with just a single RAM stick to see if it fails. Or use MemTest86. This is the best out there as it is kept current by the developers.

Will try to run MemTest..just needed to buy a CD to burn it on, because yeah..no USB and stuff ;)

Also trying to get an alternative PSU right now to try out.

System Name project silver poison
Processor Intel Xeon x5650
Motherboard Asus x58 sabertooth
Cooling Enermax Liqfusion 240mm
Memory 24gb ripjaws ddr3
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9 fury Nitro
Storage 256gb sata ssd & 1tb seagate white label
Display(s) Asus VP248QG
Case Lian li lancool one
Audio Device(s) Logitech z207 & audio techica m40x
Power Supply Enermax platimax df 1200w
Mouse Corsair Harpoon rgb
Keyboard Coolermaster Masterkeys pro l rgb
I would try getting a USB card to see if that works.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
20161213134938_src_LI.jpg

from gigabytes website
When "USB 2.0 controller" is disabled in BIOS, I noticed some USB ports are not available.

This is chipset limitation. ICH9 embedded two EHCI Host Controllers and six UHCI Host Controllers, supporting up to twelve USB ports.
When USB 2.0 controller is (set) disabled , EHCI #2(EHCI Host Controllers)and UHCI#4 ,UHCI#5 ,UHCI#6(UHCI Host Controllers) are not available.
Therefore, rear USB ports are not available and only front USB ports are available.

So make sure all the ports are enabled

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
This also applies to memory. I have seen the weirdest problems in all of my experience with faulty memory although I don't believe this is the cause of the problem.

What is the most puzzling to me is that the devices aren't recognized in BIOS. The USB issue usually occurs during the handoff from BIOS to windows during installation.

Are you certain that there isn't any option in the BIOS to adjust xHCI?

This Applies to Gigabyte AFAIK, very finniky with ram

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Will try to run MemTest
Just note there is a difference beween MemTest and MemTest86 in the link I provided above. To add to the confusion, there are even others still with very similar names. While many of these are related with common roots, only the PassMark MemTest86 program I linked to above remains in development with continual updates for the latest hardware. Note its most recent version is dated February 2018.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Is there a power saving feature enabled in the BIOS?
I only ask as I enabled it on my Motherboard (different manufacturer), and keyboard and mouse stopped working, so I had to get back in to the BIOS to disable it, and they worked again.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I only ask as I enabled it on my Motherboard (different manufacturer), and keyboard and mouse stopped working
Curious - were they wireless? I note many motherboards maintain +5V power to some or all USB ports so users can use the ports to charge USB devices (like cell phones) while the computer is in sleep mode. That charging voltage is at a higher current than needed for a wired keyboard or mouse. If disabled, there may not be enough current for a wireless dongle.

That said, most motherboards have designated USB ports just for the keyboard and mouse (often color coded in green and purple). I would think they would provide enough current for a wireless dongle since wireless keyboards and/or mice are so popular these days. At least on PCs. For notebooks, maintaining power to wireless dongles might drain the battery unexpectedly.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Curious - were they wireless?
Both keyboard and mouse are wired USB.
It had me scratching my head until I remembered turning on the power saving feature.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
You might also have to enable legacy USB.