• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua Confirms That its Passive Cooler is "Coming Very Soon"

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Or, add fans to fully passive solutions like this for outstanding cooling performance.
Noctua says themselves that you can find better cooling with their other products designed for high airflow. This passive cooler has far less surface area and consequently less cooling. It excels in its lack of sound rather than performance.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
There is a sizeable market for passive and not much competition, so I suspect they can make some money on this which is why they intend to do it.

Or, add fans to fully passive solutions like this for outstanding cooling performance.
I agree there is a decent sized market for passive, but that market is divided into two main segments

1. Hermetically sealed for workshop/industrial/volatile environment.​
2. Prosumer/Consumer wishing for a) silence and b) zero-maintenance cooling​

This cooler does not serve the first segment at all, since it can only convect heat around internally, you need heatpipe-to-external-surface for that.

Consumers wishing for silence are likely going to be using this in HTPC scenarios or recording studio scenarios. There may be other niche use cases but that covers the vast majority of the 'silence' angle. For recording studios etc, the size of the PC is less of an issue so this would be a reasonable solution when paired with the right case and components, but again, the instant you put a single fan anywhere in that room, a passive CPU cooler is pointless because you can put a fan of equal noise level on everything and get away with near-zero increase in dBA level, assuming those fans are even above your noise floor in the first place. As for HTPC users, both the size and orientation of this Noctua cooler are largely incompatible with the majority of HTPC-specific cases. If you have a desktop tower as an HTPC, sure, it'll work but that's a pretty janky setup and most HTPC users with janky setups aren't going to be spending big money on a cooler when there is much lower-hanging fruit in their setup. That example customer is effectively an oxymoron.

Consumers wishing for zero-maintenance dust-free operation in a desktop case large enough for this Noctua is definitely a niche I can see this being used for, but we're talking low-end GPU with a full-passive cooler (the one pictured can probably dissipate no more than 100W in a fan-free case, and that's being very generous!) full-passive PSU, convection-only case design, ideally with vents at the bottom and top of the case only, and some kind of dust cover on the top to stop dust ingress due to gravity. I don't know how many customers that really applies to, but there must be a few. Once again, the INSTANT someone puts a single fan into a case like that, the whole argument for that setup falls apart entirely. The finest mesh dust filters for intake fans are extremely effective and easily cleaned in seconds, totalling a mere few minutes a year even for the dustiest of environments. but once you have a fan in the system sucking in outside air, there's no penalty for adding more, which instantly nullifies the argument behind a fully-passive CPU and GPU.

So whilst I'm not denying there is a market for a very large, fully-passive CPU cooler, I'm questioning what I've missed in terms of how small the target audience is likely to be, and how very little the target audience has to change to get a superior, cheaper, easier solution anyway.

Processor Intel I7 6700
Motherboard Msi Z170i Pro Gaming AC
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP
Memory Corsair LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980ti Extreme Gaming W3
Storage Samsung Evo 850 500GB + 250GB
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
Case Ncase M1
Power Supply Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX
Mouse Logitech MX Master, Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Corsair K65RGB
Software Win 10
Noctua might be the most self respecting company on the DIY pc market, they could have earned many times more profit if they did RGB fans and heatsinks as many have been begging them for, but they just dont care about trends and continue to make products that they want to make.

Mad respect.
Might be "can". Seems pace-wise, this company seems to have the pace of a snail. Love Noctua product, but they should speed up their development since competitors are gaining on them.

I would like to see this put up against a D15 with no fans and noise normalized thermals. It looks about the same size and I doubt it will be much cheaper. This cooler might be a little heavier and have more specific heat capacity but I don't think it will make a significant difference in thermals for the chips it's aiming to cool and will likely lose against other coolers in the 180W silent fan scenario.

Curious if there is any info out on the 120mm Dual Tower Cooler they are sneaking in there for Q1 2022 with their recent update to the Roadmap

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Curious if there is any info out on the 120mm Dual Tower Cooler they are sneaking in there for Q1 2022 with their recent update to the Roadmap

Sneaking in ?, if it's the one i am thinking of it was planned for this year but had to change it to 2022.

Sneaking in ?, if it's the one i am thinking of it was planned for this year but had to change it to 2022.

Has never been on their previous roadmaps nor mentioned pre-pandemic trade shows that I recall.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Has never been on their previous roadmaps nor mentioned pre-pandemic trade shows that I recall.

I heard it though one of GN's video's although finding it be a pain in the ass as it was just mentioned, but it was over the last 2 weeks. All so mentioned was the new fan they were doing and if memory serves that they thought it might of been delayed for it or visa versa.