• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

noob bios question: asus rog strix b550-xe

poddy

I picked up a asus rog strix b550-xe, AMD Ryzen 5600 and AMD RX6750xt for my grandson.
It won't be built until Christmas day, last build I did was in 2010. Yes it is overkill but it new it was $210 CDN, has better sound and looks cool I guess.

The box says AMD Ryzen 5000 series ready: does that mean the bios is good to go?
Does might the board still need an update does it need USB 2 stick to do this?

Anything extra I have to do for the graphics card on this board?

Also using an Corsair SF750....I am figuring this should be able to handle all, sales guys didn't object but not all sales guys are created equal.

thank you!?

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Yeah, that B550 should boot up just fine with a 5000 series chip installed.

I would check after booting for a newer BIOS though. Some of the early Asus B550's performed much better with newer BIOS.

You can download the BIOS to a flash drive and run from that okay.

If, for some reason, it doesn't boot or post, you can download the latest BIOS and follow Asus's instructions on how to flash the BIOS from a flash drive without installing the CPU.

I would attempt to at least post the board with the 5000 series chip installed first.

Also keep in mind, that it may take a couple of minutes for the board to post as it will set the memory speed and can take a bit for it post. It may shut down and restart once or twice before it actually posts.

Keep us updated on the progress.

Oh, and welcome to TPU!!!!!!!