• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noobie question.

noeyjerd

When I am playing Simcity my computer keeps going to a black screen and saying "no signal" I know that is a sign of the video card overheating but I don't have that problem with ANY other game and when I check the temps in my radeon 6950's CCC it says the temp is getting to 75. I know that is a little high but it is perfectly acceptable temps. I just downloaded GPU-Z and the temp says the same thing but there are also 2 other temps. Temp#2 and #3. 2 is at 88 and temp 3 is at 93 while running furmark. With fans at 100%. What temps do I go by? Just the core? The temp that shows on the CCC or do I go by all 3 of them? In that case, they are overheating? It only gets that hot in furmark. I am in simcity now and all 3 temps are in the 60s.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I dont have that game but its widely recognised and reported to having issues anyway, including a memory leak issue
The temps go
1core
2shaders
3imc memory controllers
Afaik anyway which sounds about right given the temps you mention seems like its purely a bad coded game that's sending your gfxs mental, probably overworking the cards memory .
Hope for a patch:( sos
Again sos miss read, those temps for furmark make sense ish, bit hot and deff 95 is as high as id like them , im on a phone so can't see specs, if the cards old it might appreciate a clean out and re tim (fresh thermal interface material)
Games deff dodgeily coded tho

Last edited:

noeyjerd

Thank you for the fast reply..

When the number 3 temps are at 90 that is the furmark going on.

I get 60-75 temps with all 3 temps in Simcity and around the same thing in any other game but you are right. Simcity does have a lot of problems. I am not the only one with this problem. Also doesn't seem like a overheating thing because it only happens in certain spots.

Error with SimCity 5 - YouTube a video of it.. I was just making 100% sure it wasn't my card overheating. I don't see those high 90s temps until I run furmark and even then I ran it for 2 hours and nothing happened earlier.

The card is 2 years old. It is a radeon HD 6950

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Thank you for the fast reply..

When the number 3 temps are at 90 that is the furmark going on.

I get 60-75 temps with all 3 temps in Simcity and around the same thing in any other game but you are right. Simcity does have a lot of problems. I am not the only one with this problem. Also doesn't seem like a overheating thing because it only happens in certain spots.

Error with SimCity 5 - YouTube a video of it.. I was just making 100% sure it wasn't my card overheating. I don't see those high 90s temps until I run furmark and even then I ran it for 2 hours and nothing happened earlier.

The card is 2 years old. It is a radeon HD 6950

Sounds about right then dude.
Id consider the tim , , your temps are fine but two years use and id re Tim just an opinion tho