• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Normal Running Temp for an HD 4850 + some OC advice

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
What are they?
I read in a post somewhere on here that it was around 80 degrees C under load and they said the fan was at 100%, my card runs at 30 Idle and maxing 45 after 4 or 5 hours of battlefield 2 with eyecandy turned on with an overclock to 665 and stock memory speeds, is the temperature reporting on my card messed up or is the cooler just crazy good (the massive copper palit one taking up 2 slots)?
I've just overclocked it in ATI overdrive and when I let it autotune it takes it up to 675 and 993 I think or 665 and 1038, at the 675/993 speeds, however when I launch Battlefield 2 it freaks out, displays some horizontal lines on the screen and either crashes to desktop or the rig restarts, any other way to get it to clock higher without voiding my warranty? (or does OCing the card void it anyway?)

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
Hmm, they do sound a somewhat low to me. My HD 4870 idles at 40-42C at 40% fan speed and full load (stress test) at 49-52C at 100% fan speed with the voltage set at 1.3v right now and the card is overclocked. But i have a very cool case and my GPU temps are always lower than average. What do you use to check temps? I recomend Everest or ATI Tray Tools for that. Also keep an eye on your VRM and MEMIO (the hottest part of the core) temps.

The Auto-tune is a nice feature but not perfect. I recomend you test stability with ATI Tool and Furmark, let either run for a couple of hours and if no problems you are stable. As far as overclocking highrer, you'll have to bump your voltage if you hit a wall. You can do it with either a solder or pencil mod methods. That will void your warranty though a pencil mod can be erased (reversed), AFAIK, and therefore will not be noticed if you RMA. If you dont want to use the solder (which quite understandable) i say consider a pencil mod for core and mem. There is a guide in the Articles section that will help you, however there is no step by step guide for the 4850, AFAIK, so you may to google. I want to do a pencil mem mod on my 4870 but havent found those kind of instructions yet. Another thing you can possibly do is flash your BIOS with higher volts though i'm not certain how it works as i've never done it before.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
I just used Catalyst to check the temps, that seems to only monitor the GPU rather than the memory, I'll give ATI tool or everest a crack when I get home then.
I probably won't do a volt mod, I had a feeling that was the best way to get a higher voltage.
Load temps goes upto about 35 under load on the stress test.