1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NTFS on Linux: New driverset works on WRITES too!

Discussion in 'Linux / BSD / Mac OS X' started by Alec§taar, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    See subject-line/title above, & url below:

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

:)

* Good news, I suppose, for Linux folks that "dualboot" up w/ Ms' OS' in the mix, too!

APK

P.S.=> More "in-depth" views on this (from folks FAR more into Linux than I am) are here @ SlashDot (the home of the Penguin online largely, lol, imo (you've GOTTA admit there is a HUGE "pro-linux/anti-windows" thing going on there)):

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/06/07/15/1346250.shtml

Enjoy! apk

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cool! So I don't need to use a FAT32 partition to share my files anymore? Good news.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it is quite cool imo as well (though I no longer use Linux anymore here)...

* Writes to NTFS was never "right" before & messed up quite a lot, so you are probably 'dead-on right' about not having to partition a Fat32 there anymore...

APK

P.S.=> Jim, if you try it? Do let the others here know your results (myself included, because this sounds pretty damn good)... apk

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably won't try it for a while but I'll let you know how it goes if I do.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't blame you, because iirc? Doing low-level alterations like this mean a "kernel rebuild/recompile" possibly, because of its "monolithic core" design in Linux.

(I never pulled that before so I don't know, I was just one of those folks that used Linux for kicks/experimentation/learning purposes a few times, briefly... every so many builds of it, if sufficient improvements occur on it? I give it a go!)

* You know, I don't know if you've seen the thread here about the 2.6.17 build of it, but it too has some pretty cool performance-related improvements...

(Some 'FYI')

APK

10 Year Member at TPU