• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvflash with PCI Subsystem ID mismatch disabled for linux

System Name Rocketlake Workstation+
Processor Intel core i5-11600KF (Overclocked to 5.6 GHz)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490
Cooling Deepcool Liquid Cooling (AIO)
Memory DDR4-3200/ 2x32 GB (Total 64 GB)
Video Card(s) Afox GT 610/ 2048 MB (Overclocked to 1076 MHz)
Storage Kingston SSD 128GB L50361-00, Crucial 240GB CT240BX500SSD1, Toshiba 500GB HDD
Display(s) AOC E970Sw (overclocked to 76 Hz)
Audio Device(s) iBall stereo speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake Smart 500W + Gigabyte GP-450B (Total 950W)
Mouse Dell USB Mouse
Keyboard SIGMACHIP USB Keyboard
VR HMD None
Software Ubuntu (Always the latest version) + Windows 11 Enterprise Insider Preview (Dev channel)
Benchmark Scores Any free and trusted benchmarking software out there? I don't have a credit card lol
This is the whole story:
So first of all, I don't have a second GPU or PC and an "F" Intel CPU, and my GPU got bricked after I flashed VBIOS. Actually I flashed a lot of different VBIOSes on my GPU and most of them got me no display. But surprisingly I was getting PROPER display output as soon as windows was LOADING the GPU driver, regardless of Bad VBIOS! But, Windows would only load the GPU driver on the SECOND restart after flashing with nvflash. So, i flashed another VBIOS, rebooted once, and as usual no display. Then after I thought windows has completely booted to the desktop I held down the power button and went for the second restart. But this time Windows actually DIDN'T boot to desktop, most probably it got stuck on the "It looks like Windows didn't load properly" thing due to the force restarts. And then, while desperately trying to reboot my PC from that menu, just guessing the buttons, I think I accidentally formatted my SSD on which Windows was installed. Now it won't boot. I had a backup hard drive with Ubuntu on it, but when it loads the GPU driver, there is video output, but it's of no use as it's totally corrupted(I can post picture of the screen if needed). I managed to get nvflash and my original VBIOS on an USB drive and was able to open the terminal using CTRL+ALT+T. After (probably) cd ing into my usb drive using the terminal, I tried to run nvflash and flash the VBIOS, but it didn't work, must be because my PCI Subsystem ID has changed from the VBIOS flash. Can someone please give me a patched version of nvflash for linux? Or does anyone know any other way by which I can flash VBIOS without video output?

SHORT VERSION: I accidentally formatted my SSD which had Windows on it while trying to blindly flash VBIOS. I have another hard drive with Ubuntu on it, please make a patched version of nvflash for linux, or let me know if any other way to flash VBIOS without video output.

Last edited:
System Name Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45-R715)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard AMD Promontory / Bixby FCH
Cooling Acer Nitro Sense
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Graphics (Cezanne) / NVIDIA RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
Storage WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ
Display(s) BOE CQ NE156QHM-NY3
Software Windows 11 beta channel
let me know if any other way to flash VBIOS without video output.
use a flash programmer

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 2x16GB
Video Card(s) MSi RTX 3080ti Suprim X
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600 PRO Hydro X
Display(s) Samsung G7 27" x2
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500W
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Steelseries Apex Pro
If you have a spare GPU and your motherboard have room for two GPUs, then you can use that for video output while flashing your other card. That have saved me from some previous whoopsies

Storage Kingston SSD 128GB L50361-00, Crucial 240GB CT240BX500SSD1, Toshiba 500GB HDD
Mouse Dell USB Mouse
VR HMD None
Software Ubuntu (Always the latest version) + Windows 11 Enterprise Insider Preview (Dev channel)
Benchmark Scores Any free and trusted benchmarking software out there? I don't have a credit card lol
If you have a spare GPU and your motherboard have room for two GPUs, then you can use that for video output while flashing your other card. That have saved me from some previous whoopsies
As I said, I'm not one of those lucky ones who always have a spare GPU.

You can check options available here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Flashing_BIOS_from_Linux, but generally your best bet is booting into FreeDOS (unless nvflash doesn't work under DOS anymore, then go with Windows PE).
DOS requires CSM mode to be enabled to be able to boot with UEFI. Unfortunately, I didn't have it enabled, and I can't just go into my BIOS and enable it without having any display output.
Do you know any Windows PE which has NVIDIA GPU drivers pre-installed? Thanks.

use a flash programmer
I don't have one. And when I get one, it will be too late. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

kacperoo29

I don't have one. And when I get one, it will be too late. Thanks anyway.
What's the deadline? I might have some time tomorrow to patch the Linux version of nvflash to ignore this check if you provide me with exact error message. If the check happens in one place it should be a quick, but dirty assembly swap. If it setups some things can't promise to make it in one day.

And as for Windows PE you could try the one on Hiren's Boot CD. And if you are really dedicated there are ways to create your own images, but I don't remember if you can embed drivers there so would need some research.

If by any chance you have some microcontroller like RP Pico or STM32 you could build a SPI flasher with those.

Mouse Dell USB Mouse
VR HMD None
What's the deadline? I might have some time tomorrow to patch the Linux version of nvflash to ignore this check if you provide me with exact error message. If the check happens in one place it should be a quick, but dirty assembly swap. If it setups some things can't promise to make it in one day.

And as for Windows PE you could try the one on Hiren's Boot CD. And if you are really dedicated there are ways to create your own images, but I don't remember if you can embed drivers there so would need some research.

If by any chance you have some microcontroller like RP Pico or STM32 you could build a SPI flasher with those.
I will get the CH341A programmer within 1-2 months. By then if I don't get my VBIOS fixed I might just buy a new GPU anyway (I would be disappointed to buy a new one, but I can't just let my pc sit without using it for months), that's why I said "before it's too late". Thanks for the Windows PE suggestion, I will try it. I have no way to know the error message, as I don't get any display output. But as far as I have seen, it shows "PCI Subsystem ID Mismatch" when I try to flash any VBIOS from other subvendors except for my current one. While flashing the VBIOS with patched nvflash for windows, I just had to press "y" two times to confirm the flash. Also if you are patching nvflash then please also disable Board ID Mismatch, just in case if my Board ID has changed too. Thanks again.

I will get the CH341A programmer within 1-2 months. By then if I don't get my VBIOS fixed I might just buy a new GPU anyway (I would be disappointed to buy a new one, but I can't just let my pc sit without using it for months), that's why I said "before it's too late". Thanks for the Windows PE suggestion, I will try it. I have no way to know the error message, as I don't get any display output. But as far as I have seen, it shows "PCI Subsystem ID Mismatch" when I try to flash any VBIOS from other subvendors except for my current one. While flashing the VBIOS with patched nvflash for windows, I just had to press "y" two times to confirm the flash. Also if you are patching nvflash then please also disable Board ID Mismatch, just in case if my Board ID has changed too. Thanks again.
So I tried HBCD but I don't think it has NVIDIA graphics drivers installed (if it did, I would have got display output). I also cannot create my own windows pe image and inject drivers into it as I don't have any other PC. I only have my phone, which I'm using to create the bootable USBs. Do you know any other Windows PE with the nvidia graphics drivers pre-installed?

Last edited: