• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Announces DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction Technology, Works on GeForce 20 and Newer

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS B550M-Plus WiFi II
Cooling Noctua U12A chromax.black
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB + 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) Creative Gigaworks - Razer Blackshark V2 Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11 64bit
It's a low resolution image, so we can't really see how much detail is missing. And on the topic of missing detail...
I marked the light sources that I was talking about in my previous post, and their reflections on the floor. The last picture seems to be missing them. It's easy to produce more frames per second with less detail.
View attachment 310841

You must be joking now...

When you walk in the game, you will definitely notice that the light bounces on the surfaces have latency. It's ridiculously obvious.
In this image it's more than obvious that the pavement does not reflect the lights above because it's some msecs behind in time.
The same happens with the reflections. The resolution is low or low and later gets better after it is rendered.

The problem is people do not realize how difficult it is for a hardware to process this in msecs and post bullshXts about RT.
A good CPU can render one, just one, frame in minutes while a GPU has to render 60+ frames in ONE second.
How can you say that nVidia, or even AMD, are not good enough for delivering RT?
Their GPUs, both radeon and geforce, are multiple years ahead of the CPUs.

If it weren't about RT, we would get the same oily shXtty plasticky graphics like all the console ports we got this year.
Increasing the texture resolution is NOT better graphics.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
You must be joking now...

When you walk in the game, you will definitely notice that the light bounces on the surfaces have latency. It's ridiculously obvious.
In this image it's more than obvious that the pavement does not reflect the lights above because it's some msecs behind in time.
The same happens with the reflections. The resolution is low or low and later gets better after it is rendered.

The problem is people do not realize how difficult it is for a hardware to process this in msecs and post bullshXts about RT.
A good CPU can render one, just one, frame in minutes while a GPU has to render 60+ frames in ONE second.
How can you say that nVidia, or even AMD, are not good enough for delivering RT?

If it weren't about RT, we would get the same oily shXtty plasticky graphics like all the console ports we got this year.
Increasing the texture resolution is NOT better graphics.
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about reflections, but light sources that seem to be missing from the picture with ray reconstruction enabled.

Purple rays came in and then denoiser said "let there be light..." and saw those details as unnecessary noise:D

Those flares on top were like icing on the cake. Sad to see the new DLSS punched them out.

Here's the same frame with DLSS 6. Nvidia finally managed to animate each frame. :rockout:

Christmas Lights GIF by James Madison University
DLSS 56487 needs to add a noiser filter for the de-noiser to be at its best.

Lei

Processor 3900x - Bykski waterblock
Motherboard MSI b450m mortar max BIOS Date 27 Apr 2023
Cooling αcool 560 rad - 2xPhanteks F140XP
Memory Micron 32gb 3200mhz ddr4
Video Card(s) Colorful 3090 ADOC active backplate cooling
Storage WD SN850 2tb ,HP EX950 1tb, WD UltraStar Helioseal 18tb+18tb
Display(s) 24“ HUION pro 4k 10bit
Case aluminium extrusions copper panels, 60 deliveries for every piece down to screws
Audio Device(s) sony stereo mic, logitech c930, Gulikit pro 2 + xbox Series S controller, moded bt headphone 1200mAh
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Mouse pen display, no mouse no click
Keyboard Microsoft aio media embedded touchpad (moded lithium battery 1000mAh)
Software Win 11 23h2 build 22631
Benchmark Scores cine23 20000

If it weren't about RT, we would get the same oily shXtty plasticky ...

Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Mouse Razer Viper
I think you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about reflections, but light sources that seem to be missing from the picture with ray reconstruction enabled.

The missing light is not a DLSS issue. It's just half second later and the lighting has changed.
The whole point is the latency of the light bounces.
The image nVidia used is not good for showing what DLSS 3.5 does.
A reflection on a mirror would be better for that or a video.

Another example:
The light has just been switched off but the information of the light bounces to stop hitting the darn surface has not arrived yet.
In cyberpunk is way more noticeable because there are changing lights everywhere.

1693137656128.png

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
The missing light is not a DLSS issue. It's just half second later and the lighting has changed.

Another example:
The light has just been switched off but the information of the light bounces to stop hitting the darn surface has not arrived yet.
In cyberpunk is way more noticeable because there are changing lights everywhere.

View attachment 310851

Ah, I see. We'll have to look at it in action from third-party sources, I guess.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%
It's 99% the same thing and in 99% of cases you will never notice any extra detail, any difference at all, unless you do a side by side comparison. And even then you need a lens.

But the cultists must believe what the Master says...
Eventually they'll release some explanation of what they're actually doing that's different. AI-ifying the denoising process can't hurt much, and should bring some speed upgrades/faster RT. That's the only advantage I can think of.
Ιm sorry to say but you sound like the one being in a cult here.

It's a low resolution image, so we can't really see how much detail is missing. And on the topic of missing detail...
I marked the light sources that I was talking about in my previous post, and their reflections on the floor. The last picture seems to be missing them. It's easy to produce more frames per second with less detail.
View attachment 310841
It's not missing anything, the light source on the first 3 pictures shouldn't be there but without RR it takes too long for the information to be processed. I guess a video would make a better job of demonstrating what it does.

Processor Ryzen 5600x
Memory Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XT
Storage SN850x
Display(s) Gigabyte M32U - LG UltraGear+ 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Meshify C Mini
Power Supply Corsair RM650x (2021)

Another example:
Finally an actual answer!
So yeah, the AI denoiser accelerates the denoising, that's the only thing I thought it would do.
Well, it's a nice improvement.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
That's not exactly correct. Previous denoisers are using temporal information, so they average out a bunch of frames over time, which smears out high-contrast areas. With DLSS 3.5 NVIDIA promises this is correctly taken into account. Their example is the front lights of the car in CP2077, which is just one large bright area with the old denoiser, with 3.5 you can clearly see the light cone

So if I reading this right DLSS off shows the true power of the an expensive card. DLSS on shows oooo lets make it better by using software to lower the res then use AI to clean it up at high res.

I remember when video card companies improved their hardware and you did not need any software tweaking crap to play games. The 10 series was the last true Nvidia Pure hardware cards.

I mean RTX is cool looks great but if the hardware cannot do it without software rendering then its not an improvement. If that was the case the on board intel graphics card could be tweaked to do the same thing.

Software Windows 10 Pro
So if I reading this right DLSS off shows the true power of the an expensive card. DLSS on shows oooo lets make it better by using software to lower the res then use AI to clean it up at high res.

I remember when video card companies improved their hardware and you did not need any software tweaking crap to play games. The 10 series was the last true Nvidia Pure hardware cards.

I mean RTX is cool looks great but if the hardware cannot do it without software rendering then its not an improvement. If that was the case the on board intel graphics card could be tweaked to do the same thing.
Either this, or DLSS/FSR is a push for everybody to buy a 4K monitor that you couldn't game on (not to mention you wouldn't want one) otherwise.

System Name Dirt Sheep | Silent Sheep
Processor i5-2400 | 13900K (-0.025mV offset)
Motherboard Asus P8H67-M LE | Gigabyte AERO Z690-G, bios F26 with "Instant 6 GHz" on
Cooling Scythe Katana Type 1 | Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black
Memory G-skill 2*8GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengeance 4*32GB DDR5 5200Mhz C40 @4000MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 970GTX Mini | NV 1080TI FE (cap at 85%, 800mV)
Storage 2*SN850 1TB, 230S 4TB, 840EVO 128GB, WD green 2TB HDD, IronWolf 6TB, 2*HC550 18TB in RAID1
Display(s) LG 21` FHD W2261VP | Lenovo 27` 4K Qreator 27
Case Thermaltake V3 Black|Define 7 Solid, stock 3*14 fans+ 2*12 front&buttom+ out 1*8 (on expansion slot)
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 990 (or the screen speakers when I'm too lazy)
Power Supply Enermax Pro82+ 525W | Corsair RM650x (2021)
Mouse Logitech Master 3
Keyboard Roccat Isku FX
VR HMD Nop.
Software WIN 10 | WIN 11
Benchmark Scores CB23 SC: i5-2400=641 | i9-13900k=2325-2281 MC: i5-2400=i9 13900k SC | i9-13900k=37240-35500

It's definitely improvement because it enables you to experience RT @4k @>60fps. Otherwise you couldn't do it.
It achiev so with compromise in the form of dlss, insted of the traditional graphic settings tune.

He who can't stand the notion of compromise will never accept dlss (or fsr or xess) and will be just fine with RT off.

The vast majority who can compromise, each one to his own degree, will be able to enjoy thos "precious" eye candy. Nothing more, nothing less.

System Name Mean machine
Processor 13900k
Motherboard MSI Unify X
Cooling Noctua U12A
Memory 7600c34
Video Card(s) 4090 Gamerock oc
Storage 980 pro 2tb
Display(s) Samsung crg90
Case Fractal Torent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Arya / a30 - d30 pro stack
Power Supply Be quiet dark power pro 1200
Mouse Viper ultimate
Keyboard Blackwidow 65%

You are reading this wrong. DLSS / FSR allows you to improve image quality with no hit to framerate. 4k + DLSS Q looks better than 1440p native and has similar performance, so why would play at 1440p native instead of 4k DLSS Q? Rhetorical question.

Display(s) Asus XG35VQ
Case Asus Prime AP201
Mouse Razer Viper
....yes, if the normal raster games require, let's say, 10 calculations per second to be done by the gpu, a simple RT game with just reflections, shadows ask for 1000 calc/s.
If you don't want to compromise by using DLSS/FSR, wait 15-20 years and maybe you'll get a gpu that can render RT games natively.

I wrote it again. People have no idea of how RT works, how much difficult it is to calculate etc.
Are you happy if you see models with more triangles and better textures as an improvement in games?

Software Windows 10 Pro
You are reading this wrong. DLSS / FSR allows you to improve image quality with no hit to framerate. 4k + DLSS Q looks better than 1440p native and has similar performance, so why would play at 1440p native instead of 4k DLSS Q? Rhetorical question.
If you have a 1440p monitor, you'd want 1440p native, ideally. Not 1440p + DLSS. 4K is probably a different story. Not many graphics cards can game at such high resolution natively.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI)
Cooling Corsair iCUE H115i Elite Capellix 280mm
Memory 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming OC Edition
Storage Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair AX760 Platinum
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2 - Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K70 MK.2 Low-Profile Rapidfire
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)
Is this a joke? DLSS 3 requires 40-series but somehow 3.5 runs on 20-series and up?

FSR 3.0 has frame-generation and will run on all GPU's that can do DX11+

nVidia is just being their deceiving/scummy selves as usual.