• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Beats Intel to Integer Scaling, but not on all Cards

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
OR if you are so good, why not code yourself for the support?

Sure, let me just fork nouveau, and have documented apis to raise the boost clocks...

oh right, that's literally an nvidia "trade secret" making what you just stated nearly impossible. Sounds fun.

Might be something to do with Turing's ability to do concurrent int&fp math... I would not be surprised that Volta cards could support this as well.

Integer scaling is not hard. For god's sake man, the cpu could do it.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Sure, let me just fork nouveau, and have documented apis to raise the boost clocks...

oh right, that's literally an nvidia "trade secret" making what you just stated nearly impossible. Sounds fun.

That's why it is so easily applied to software right?

Oh wait, it actually ISNT that easy, thats why GPU makers implementing it is a big deal.

Again, if it isnt that hard why dont you write a simple program to do this automatically and make big bucks? And what do boost clocks have to do with integer scaling? I mean, Nvidia does provide an API to mess with GPU clock rates, thats what the likes of precision X and afterburner hook into.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

It is all the time in things like emulators, yes.

Intercepting display output can't just be done in an app, however.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I just want to run my 4K HDTV at 1080p without blurring everything because of interpolation.

TV's own scaler = interpolation blur
Nvidia's GPU scaler = interpolation blur.

There's no way that disabling interpolation requires Turing; Nvidia are just being d*ckholes because they're first.

Exactly. I'm still wondering why this needs to be done in hardware at all? It can be done in software perfectly and at very little processing penalty...

There's no way that disabling interpolation requires Turing; Nvidia are just being d*ckholes because they're first.
Fanboy alert, and you'd be wrong. NVidia was the first to implement it, but they didn't decide on it or announce it first;

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Fanboy alert
I'm a fanboy for criticizing Nvidia? I criticize who I want - deal with it.
I'm criticising you right now for even bringing it up; It adds nothing of value to the discussion.

and you'd be wrong. NVidia was the first to implement it, but they didn't decide on it or announce it first
Why does Intel's announcement make me wrong? You're wrong! Intel products can't scale yet and the Turing card I have in my machine is already doing it.
That's first, by any definition - except yours, apparently.... :kookoo:

I'm a fanboy for criticizing Nvidia? I criticize who I want - deal with it.
I'm criticising you right now for even bringing it up; It adds nothing of value to the discussion.
You offered criticism in a way that was clearly and directly insulting(calling them "d*ckholes") to the company in question for doing little more than being first at something positive. That is "fanboying" by definition.
Why does Intel's announcement make me wrong? You're wrong! Intel products can't scale yet and the Turing card I have in my machine is already doing it.
That's first, by any definition - except yours, apparently.... :kookoo:
Context seems to be a lost concept on you. Intel announced it first, but because NVidia has a much more expansive and refined GPU hardware set they got it to market before Intel finished their implementation. AMD could likely do the same, if they cared.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I called them d*ckholes because their reason for locking it to Turing is a blatant lie in an arrogant attempt to sell more Turing cards when it's obviously a simple software operation. Even you agree on that last point.

I was using software integer scaling in Z-Snes and KGen emulators over 20 years ago. It's an incredibly simple post-processing filter and emulators of the late '90s even allowed you to write your own custom scaling filters; Making an integer scaler was a single short line of code and often used as the first step in other more complex filters. Intel may have announced it, but they sure as hell weren't first either. It's a concept that existed 25 years ago and fell out of mainstream use.

You should also look up the definition of the word fanboyism if you're going to start throwing it around, though - because trust me, you're using it wrong.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Haha man you always can hit it right on the spot

Yep only for Navi, somehow I didn't hear any outcry from the hypocrites from red camp. Does that make AMD kind of douch? By the red fans' standard I guess yes.

It's all double standards my friend, I must confess I didn't think the gamer community was desperate for image sharpening tech... but I guess Navi also needs to set itself apart from the mighty future proof tech that is Vega.

System Name main rig
Processor 1600X @4.05ghz
Motherboard ASUS B350 Prime PLUS
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Corsair 16 GB (dual ch.)
Video Card(s) Pitcairn XT
Storage 500 GB SSD, 12 TB RAID0
Display(s) UltraGear 27GL850-B w/ Freesync
Case Antec P193
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar
Power Supply Corsair 650W
Mouse MX518
Keyboard daskeyboard s /w cherry red switches
Software Fedora Rawhide

It kind of is.

http://tanalin.com/en/projects/integer-scaler/ (freeware 500kb .exe & very small memory footprint ~ 2MiB)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/993090/Lossless_Scaling/ (didn't buy, it's 3 bucks, and for that it allows you to choose scale factor 1x,2x,3x,4x,... - also you can apply anti-aliasing on the losslessly scaled image)

These are just two I know of. There's possibly some other Freeware or Open-Source stuff floating around on github that achieves the exact same.
It's not some kind of miracle software.
Everyone who wants this functionality, because he is an eccentric oldschool gamer can already use it without much effort.
It's all factitious commotion.

There was nothing wrong with ATI's tesselator. The problem was DirectX being unable to work with it.

hum I don't know..
AMD improved the performance with the tesselation these last years on Polaris and vegas but their cards still struggle.

but their cards still struggle.
Struggle is a relative perspective. In the upper mid-tier range Radeon dominates on performance/cost ratio. Where they struggle is the top-tier range of performance.

Back on topic, been doing some reading on the way that Polaris, Vega and Navi do scaling in general and it seems like it would be a trivial effort to include integer scaling in driver. In fact, the same can be said for NVidia all the way back to Tesla(GTX2xx). Why it hasn't been implemented thus far on both sides could simply boil down to a lack of demand coupled with the minimal resource cost of doing that function in software because of how well known the coding is, how efficient it is to code and that is relatively very simple.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
NVIDIA's integer upscaling feature has been added only to its "Turing" architecture GPUs (both RTX 20-series and GTX 16-series), but not on older generations. NVIDIA explains that this is thanks to a "hardware-accelerated programmable scaling filter" that was introduced with "Turing."
Suuuuuuuuuuuuure it is... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

I like Integer scaling so far!

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
That was a software implementation. Integer scaling can be done in software all day long. Doing it on hardware is a very different story.

Who cares whether it's done in software or hardware? It's a near-zero cost operation that will add imperciptible overhead. Speaking of double standards, RTX features were added to 10-series cards in software, despite the fact that they suck at it. IMO that's the honest way to do things - giving people on older cards who like RTX features a chance to see them and genuine incentive to upgrade to Turing that can hardware-accelerate those features if they like what they see.

As for the definition of fanboy:
  • Fan = loyal to a team/brand, zealous, irrationally devoted.
  • Boy = child, immature
I attacked your preferred team/brand for making a BS excuse and you start throwing childish insults to defend them for no rational reason? I think I've found the fanboy, by definition.

As I mentioned earlier, I criticise who I please - Nvidia, Intel, and AMD alike, because BS needs to be called out rather than excused or endorsed - regardless of who it is. Anyway, I'm out. I don't really have anything more to add and this isn't valuable to the scaler discussion.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
If all you want is simple "integer scaling", that is already fully supported in basically every GPU since the 90s, and is simply achieved by rendering a low-resolution framebuffer to a full resolution framebuffer with nearest neighbor filtering enabled. The only thing new here is having this as a driver level feature without requiring application level support. (implementing this in applications is trivial though)

I would question whether this type of feature belongs in a driver though, not because I don't see the usefulness of this feature, but because I fear this will be yet another poorly maintained driver feature, or that other features will suffer instead. I think drivers already contain way too much that don't belong there, and all the manufacturers struggle with maintaining the feature set they already provide, especially AMD who to this date don't offer reliable OpenGL support.

Secondly, I would question whether integer scaling is the right solution to begin with. While multiplying pixel sizes to display them sharply on modern LCD/OLED displays is better than blurring, it will make them more blocky than they ever were on CRTs. Various emulators, console replicas and external scalers(like the Framemeister) already offer more options than just integer scaling, like the shape of the pixels, spacing between scanlines, etc. So if the goal of this integer scaling is to run old games and relpicate the "CRT look", then perhaps we need a even better solution than this?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
If all you want is simple "integer scaling", that is already fully supported in basically every GPU since the 90s, and is simply achieved by rendering a low-resolution framebuffer to a full resolution framebuffer with nearest neighbor filtering enabled. The only thing new here is having this as a driver level feature without requiring application level support. (implementing this in applications is trivial though)

I would question whether this type of feature belongs in a driver though, not because I don't see the usefulness of this feature, but because I fear this will be yet another poorly maintained driver feature, or that other features will suffer instead. I think drivers already contain way too much that don't belong there, and all the manufacturers struggle with maintaining the feature set they already provide, especially AMD who to this date don't offer reliable OpenGL support.

Secondly, I would question whether integer scaling is the right solution to begin with. While multiplying pixel sizes to display them sharply on modern LCD/OLED displays is better than blurring, it will make them more blocky than they ever were on CRTs. Various emulators, console replicas and external scalers(like the Framemeister) already offer more options than just integer scaling, like the shape of the pixels, spacing between scanlines, etc. So if the goal of this integer scaling is to run old games and relpicate the "CRT look", then perhaps we need a even better solution than this?

I just want it to render 1080p perfectly on my theoretical 4k display, as an example.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I just want it to render 1080p perfectly on my theoretical 4k display, as an example.
When using a desktop computer, the scaling is done on the monitor/TV end. This does of course mean that it's up to the monitor to decide how to scale, and whether to give you any options about it, which some monitors does.

As I've mentioned, doing this on the driver side does give some benefits, but it will also require a robust interface to control it, even though the basic integer scaling is super simple to implement.
Applications can of course do whatever they want.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
When using a desktop computer, the scaling is done on the monitor/TV end.

Not if the driver does it first.

A lot of TVs/monitors get it really, really wrong.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Not if the driver does it first.

A lot of TVs/monitors get it really, really wrong.
It's hard to name a single TV or monitor that gets it right.

In fairness to R-T-B, I like the idea of a better-than-bilinear option too.
Back in the early emulation days, a popular filter for 2x scaling (so appropriate for 1080p on a 4k display) was called SAI - shown on the right compared to integer scaling on the left.

Speaking of double standards, RTX features were added to 10-series cards in software, despite the fact that they suck at it. IMO that's the honest way to do things - giving people on older cards who like RTX features a chance to see them and genuine incentive to upgrade to Turing that can hardware-accelerate those features if they like what they see.
That had nothing to do with the topic at hand.
As for the definition of fanboy:
  • Fan = loyal to a team/brand, zealous, irrationally devoted.
  • Boy = child, immature
Yup, you got it. Nailed it perfectly!
I attacked your preferred team/brand for making a BS excuse
You're making assumptions. Stop doing that.
and you start throwing childish insults to defend them for no rational reason? I think I've found the fanboy, by definition.
Let's review;
Turing; Nvidia are just being d*ckholes because they're first.
You were saying?
As I mentioned earlier, I criticise who I please - Nvidia, Intel, and AMD alike, because BS needs to be called out rather than excused or endorsed - regardless of who it is.
Typical fallback argument.
Anyway, I'm out. I don't really have anything more to add and this isn't valuable to the scaling discussion.
Good idea.
It's hard to name a single TV or monitor that gets it right.
Thought you were leaving? Nevermind, you've actually contributed to the conversion in a way that's constructive.
In fairness to R-T-B, I like the idea of a better-than-bilinear option too.
Back in the early emulation days, a popular filter for 2x scaling (so appropriate for 1080p on a 4k display) was called SAI - shown on the right compared to integer scaling on the left.
To be fair, I don't understand how anyone can prefer the blocky pixel look over the filter that makes the image look much more natural. The one on the right looks much better IMHO. SuperSAI took that a step further and improved image quality.