• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Bracing for a Cryptocurrency Demand Drop

System Name ChoreBoy
Processor 8700k Delided
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Master
Cooling 420mm Custom Loop
Memory CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB @ 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SC
Storage 1TB SX8200, 250GB 850 EVO, 250GB Barracuda
Display(s) Pixio PX329 and Dell E228WFP
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) On-Board
Power Supply 1000w Corsair
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores A million on everything....
I can't see any of them surviving, long term, unless they are backed as legal tender by a stable government. When and if that ever happens you can bet you wont be able to "mine" them.

At least some people got rich off it while it lasted. Good riddance to the beanie baby moneys.

I'm glad John Oliver did the segment on crypto since there is so much misinformation and confusion out there about it, especially by non-techies. Probably the biggest mistake is that people often confuse miners with bitcoin investors. I mine but I don't invest, since I sell as soon as I reasonably can after mining. I'd call people who put $100,000+ into filling their garage with industrial-scale crypto rigs investors just as much as people buying $100k in coins hoping they'll go up, but I'm not in either of those boats.

Unfortunately though as soon as you talk anything about cryptocurrency, people that don't understand it immediately jump to assuming that you are an idiot putting your entire 401k into Dogecoin...

I'm fairly certain Wall Street investors know very well though that NV and AMD's income would drop over the artificially inflated revenue of the last couple years if the the crypto gold rush crashed, and that the odds of a crash are pretty high. That's something that they've factored in stock price for sure.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
I can see the SH GPU market flooded with cheap cards in a few months time :D

....Of burned out cards that I wouldn't buy for 1/4 of the price. Mining puts the hurt on the GPU, heat and stress for 24/7 periods of time with little to no air flow when they are stacked one on another.

I only hope that it cools off before 2080 cards hit the market so they are "cheap" but the rumor mill of $1500 for a card has got to be false or I will never see one, and most people can't even bare $600.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
Only thing different with this gen is the fact that MSRP has been exceeded almost from the get go due to the take off of crypto prices and the large jump in mining.

The GTX 9xx series, I originally grabbed a Zotac 980Ti AMP! Omega for $669 shortly after they came out. Once the GTX 10xx was coming out and EOL was given to the 9xx the exact same card I picked up for $549 new (from what I can find, MSRP on FE 980Ti is $649) which is $100 under MSRP.

GTX 1070 MSRP is $349. One of the cheaper ones I find is at MicroCenter for $549.99 - still $200 over MSRP! If Volta comes out within the next 3-6 months and current GPU prices don't come down, people are going to hold out for the new Volta cards and then Pascal cards will start going out used while a lot of new stock is still available. Nvidia should be worried about getting stuck with a lot of Pascal inventory if things persist as they are. So, 1 of 2 things needs to happen:

1) Prices need to drop all around to help clear out the EOL inventory of Pascal (10xx series) and this will only happen if crypto drops enough. I personally don't know anyone that's going to drop hundreds of dollars over MSPR on an EOL GPU.

OR

2) Crypto needs to take off again and press out another spike of high demand for GPUs. Granted, this is not the option gamers want, but this would be the most ideal one for Nvidia and even AMD. Thus allowing Nvidia to put a halt to manufacturing Pascal GPUs and allow inventory to go out as fast as possible to fill orders so they're not stuck with oodles of GPUs

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
it could stop 2080 cards from hitting the market.. or at least delay things for a very long a time..

currently a gpu can be looked upon as an asset subject to supply and demand factors.. if a ton of perfectly usable ex mining cards hit the market all at once the asset price will crash..

second hand or new it dosnt matter.. its all affected..

trog

ppn

Perhaps 1080Ti is no longer in production.
1080Ti on 7nm will be shrinked to 1/3 of its original size, 471/3 ~~ 150mm2, so yeah brace for 2050Ti.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
John Oliver covered this ponzi scam of Crypto currency on last episode of Last week tonight nicely.

He really just covered the ponzi scheme of ICOs. He was actually almost positive on the actual concept of crypto.

All in all, I found his coverage refreshingly neutral.

The Modernday Affliction is the inability to absolutely separate Benevolence from Malevolence [and vice-versa]. For example, this “CryptoCurrency” agenda is about Greed-Fear Running Amok and yet The Vast Majority [TVM] are seeing this as another opportunity for, “Gaining An Advantage”. That of expressing one’s selfishness as some sort of test for one’s “Intelligence”. Just like that Electioneering Circus, which is actually a test for one’s ability to select from “The 2 Faces of The Same Coin”, in addition to being an excuse for unleashing Prostitution, Drugging, Chemistry, and that gem, “Gladiatorial-Events”.

So yous wanna, “Git Riche Qik”, eh? AMD is suggesting that, perhaps, their “ThreadRipper” is a suitable candidate, much like having the ability to “Vote-For” either, “Trumpeting”, or “Clinging-On”. Or as Dem [by now truly rusted] Iron Maiden was reputed to have said, “Dats Mah Boyo” – or sump’fing like zat, perhaps ! Incidentally, how come when Dat Kowboyo, “Reagan”, said, “Jump”, Dem Iron Maiden was reputed to have replied, “How High?” Now, that will make you really ‘Fink, ain’t it !

Wut.

hurt bottomline for gpu makers and a good chance investors would be angry.
They would go back to business as usual. The investors will get over it. A great many people are sick of the fact that a budget card like the 1050 is still upwards of $300. Pathetic.
nether of us wants to end up with a load of worthless gpus..
I personally and professionally welcome this downtrend. Bring on the cheap GPU's!

Last edited:
System Name HAL
Processor i7 975
Motherboard Asus Rampage III
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory Patriot Viper 2000mhz 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) HD 5970 x 2
Storage C300 256gb x 2
Case Corsair 800D
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
It would be good if the vendors produced GPUs for mining without video outputs and SLI fingers.

This would make them useless for gaming and these cards could never flood the market when the mining craze slumps.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
They would go back to business as usual. The investors will get over it. A great many people are sick of the fact that a budget card like the 1050 is still upwards of $300. Pathetic.

I personally and professionally welcome this downtrend. Bring on the cheap GPU's!

yep apart from holding back the release of the next generation of gpus from a buyers points of view initially at least.. it all seems good.. :)

from a sellers point of view its a f-cking disaster just waiting to happen.. he he

trog

No stopping the mining craze. Not even a 50% drop (or upwards of 75% in several of the top-mining coins in recent weeks) has made people consider quitting mining [myself included]. There's just no reason. Even now it's still profitable to mine compared to the cost of electricity in most places, and assuming crypto prices are likely to increase in value from here means profitability will be even higher if you HODL until prices go back up.

Long-term trend is still upwards for cryptocurrencies. Good luck telling people with 100s of GPUs that they should sell and quit mining ... not gonna happen. Us crypto enthusiasts and general computer nerds are a stubborn crowd, fixed in our ways.

I can't see any of them surviving, long term, unless they are backed as legal tender by a stable government. When and if that ever happens you can bet you wont be able to "mine" them.

At least some people got rich off it while it lasted. Good riddance to the beanie baby moneys.

Looking back at history, very few "legal tender" backed by "a stable government" have lasted longer than 50 years. The average life expectancy for government-issued currency is only 27 years. Most currencies get eroded by inflation or corruption, even the US dollar has only 1/20th the purchasing power it once had (see St. Louis FRED chart here -- https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CUUR0000SA0R)

Clearly there is an issue with a central authority when it comes to currency, which is eliminated in most cryptocurrencies. I agree, a lot of cryptos will fail over the long term, but so will many fiat currency offered by the majority of countries around the world.

Last edited:
What nVidia could do (and possibly is doing) is if they have bought up all the RAM for the last few months for their upcoming Volt/Ampere/Turing cards so that on release day they can massively flood the market with normally priced and much faster cards then this would be a huge win for nVidia on so many levels. They seem to be selling Pascal faster than they can make it but i agree this could all stop in a second if crypto goes boom.

But releasing totally new cards will have two massively important benefits for nVidia, if one of the cards is aimed at the crypto mining market and can significantly beat AMD's current offering which lets face is very old tech now so should easily be possible (I have an AMD R9 290 from 2013 and it still matches pretty much anything out on the market today for ETH) it would kill AMD graphics at least until Navi in 2019 and so increase nVidia's own sales hugely but the other important benefit is it would go someway to protect nVidia against a crypto mining crash. If suddenly the crypto market stopped mining, total market collapse, maybe some environmental law was passed or a new coin suddenly comes out that is better than anything else and doesn't use mining (IOTA or similar) then the market would be flooded with cheap second hand cards. But if nVidia was already selling much faster, brand new cards with full warranties then most gamers would buy their new cards rather than a old, slower card that has been mined within an inch of its life 24/7 for the last 2 or 3 years, plus they could sit on this stock much longer as its only just come on the market and so has a 2-3 year life.

I think this is the only way that gamers and miners will get some cards at normal prices. I know nVidia has tried to say they are focusing on gamers but they are a company wanting to make money like any other and miners are (were) willing to pay 2x or 3x the price and want to buy 10x to 100x more cards than gamers so they will not ignore them. I believe nVidia will release a mining card (Turing is a perfect code name) and a gaming card (maybe Ampere based), they might release them/one at GTC in March or it might be GamesCon in August, I know rumours are now Q3 but nVidia are missing out of so many sales by waiting i'm just not sure they will as there is no competition at all until Q1 - Q2 2019 when AMD's 7nm Navi might be arriving, nVidia could make an insane amount of hay if they use this time wisely and can get production even close to the level demand is currently at.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
The Modernday Affliction is the inability to absolutely separate Benevolence from Malevolence [and vice-versa]. For example, this “CryptoCurrency” agenda is about Greed-Fear Running Amok and yet The Vast Majority [TVM] are seeing this as another opportunity for, “Gaining An Advantage”. That of expressing one’s selfishness as some sort of test for one’s “Intelligence”. Just like that Electioneering Circus, which is actually a test for one’s ability to select from “The 2 Faces of The Same Coin”, in addition to being an excuse for unleashing Prostitution, Drugging, Chemistry, and that gem, “Gladiatorial-Events”.

So yous wanna, “Git Riche Qik”, eh? AMD is suggesting that, perhaps, their “ThreadRipper” is a suitable candidate, much like having the ability to “Vote-For” either, “Trumpeting”, or “Clinging-On”. Or as Dem [by now truly rusted] Iron Maiden was reputed to have said, “Dats Mah Boyo” – or sump’fing like zat, perhaps ! Incidentally, how come when Dat Kowboyo, “Reagan”, said, “Jump”, Dem Iron Maiden was reputed to have replied, “How High?” Now, that will make you really ‘Fink, ain’t it !

Laugh of the day.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64