• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Bringing DLSS 2.0 Support to UE 5, Linux via Proton, and Even More Titles

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
because DLSS 2.0 uses tensor cores
Because tensor cores is anything but a bunch of FPs.
And because we do not have cards that could do more FPs than 2060 (including its tensor ops)

Come on, people.

FSR drivers
I'm not getting it...
It shouldn't be a driver level thing, although, I'd understand that drivers could speed up certain aspects of it.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
WHY DON'T YOU BRING DLSS DOWN TO US PEASANTS RUNNING GTX 16 SERIES CARDS!

Why hasn't this been done yet? Seriously. Is it a hardware issue, or just Nvidia being assholes?
non-RTX cards lack the hardware that DLSS runs on, but don't worry you'll get FSR.

My end goal is to not run Windows at all.
Which is admirable. No sarcasm here. But in case you need it for some API or a game (your words from another post) you can always run it well-isolated from other critical stuff.

"texture upscaling" huh? That is how we refer to TAA derivatives these days? :D
LOL!!! Easy there Joker, finding the right pixels to upscale with AI is far closer to real image than TAA could ever predict, we both know it. NVidia had those pixel prediction and photo upscaling working on Pascal long time before DLSS. It is just that now they can apply it realtime in the frame generation pipeline.

Every DLSS 2.0 title I have played on Quality mode is just like native. I can't tell native vs DLSS 2.0 quality.

Like they say, proof is in the pudding.

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Because tensor cores is anything but a bunch of FPs.
Yes they are FPs, but running lower precision on existing FPs with double or quad the clock-rate is not something that would happen magically. Tensor cores are FPs that can run at big multiples of clockrates, unlike the traditional FPs. So yes, they are special and they are the reason why lower precision calculation are so fast on these chips and are essentially required for anything realtime-RT or AI related. They are one of the reason why AMD is not upto the scratch on RT performance, even when they are fast in rasterization.

And because we do not have cards that could do more FPs than 2060 (including its tensor ops)

Come on, people.
It is not about having FPs, it is about having FPs which can run much faster than traditional FPs due to clockrate multiple. Cmon Man!!! :)

Low quality post by medi01
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
It is not about having FPs, it is about having FPs which can run much faster than traditional FPs

Oh, boy, am I still on a tech forum...

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Software Windows 10
Reviews are out:

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Which is admirable. No sarcasm here. But in case you need it for some API or a game (your words from another post) you can always run it well-isolated from other critical stuff.
The API/game front is slowly being conquered. Yes there is a performance penalty but at this point I could accept it.

It's the HDR support that prevents me from my end goal. That's it.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Please remember the Guidelines of the Forums.
If needed, please review them if you need to.

Posting in a thread
Be polite and Constructive, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.
This includes trolling, continuous use of bad language (ie. cussing), flaming, baiting, retaliatory comments, system feature abuse, and insulting others.
Do not get involved in any off-topic banter or arguments. Please report them and avoid instead.

Reporting and complaining
All posts and private messages have a "report post" button on the bottom of the post, click it when you feel something is inappropriate. Do not use your report as a "wild card invitation" to go back and add to the drama and therefore become part of the problem.

All of those that support 2.0, you just have to update the file yourself. Devs will probably do that when a patch comes out.

Even 2.0 is simply the best upscaling solution out there. Nothing comes close.

yeah

physX was the best (semi dead/replaced by open version)
Nvidia 3D vision was the best (its dead)
SLI was the best (its dead in the water except for computing)
and Gsync was the best (not dead per se, but Freesync reign master on the market now, Gsync was just simply too expensive and is now just a halo tech used on a few monitors that cost over 1000$)

Nvidia sure does have nice cool new things sometimes, but when its locked to specific more expensive hardware then it does not persevere.

will most likely be the same for DLSS and RTX

both those can and will be done by engines, with different names that is but same or close or better without locking you with a specific hardware. and that is why on long term Nvidia always lose the market share battle on their techs.

UE5 has lumen (rtx) and dlss like features for instance