• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nvidia Control Panel not saving Game Specific Settings

System Name AMD Little Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 1500x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Cooling Noctua NH-u12p SE2
Memory Kingston 4x4GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX Zotac 1660 Super Twin Fan
Storage M.2 NVME Kinspec 512GB | 1TB Seagate
Display(s) LG 23MP55HQ
Case Cooler Master N200
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1000T4 | SuperLux HD681
Power Supply Corsair CX 430
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Havit hv-kb435l brown
Software Windows 10 x64 | Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Geekbench 5 - CPU: 3999 GPU CUDA: 65132 Geekbench 4 - CPU: 15939 GPU OPENCL: 192394
Hi everyone,
Newbie on the forums here, however long run hardware fanboy.

Thing is, I'm always used to play around with the Nvidia Control Panel settings and check which settings fits the best for the games I play and the performance of the GPU. From my old FX5200 128MB to my newer Zotac 1660 Super, always check the settings in the panel.

Recently, from my already sold GTX 1050 ti (not exactly sure of what Nvidia driver Version), I see some inconsistencies on the Nvidia Control Panel. Let me explain myself:
  • Open Nvidia control panel
  • Adjust image settings with preview
  • Set the 'use the advanced 3D image Settings'
  • Go in manage 3D settings, Global settings, and I do my general custom settings which resumes to Vsync: adaptive | DSR Factor 2x & 4x | and some other tweaks as power mgmt when testing hehe;
  • Go in the Program Settings and set to specific games (such as competitive games) to disable vsync;
  • Save the options and that's it.
The last test that I did, yesterday (Jul 27 2020), using the most recent driver (451.67), w/ the Nvidia Control Panel being installed by the Microsoft Store, the specific settings are not being save (or being overwritten)
Once I start a game with a program specific settings (CS:GO or Battlefield V with Vsync disabled) the settings are lost. If I open the control panel it shows me the global setting.

Not sure if any of you noticed, or it's just me being nit-picky on it. What you guys thinks about this?
Thanks for reading, regards!

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
If you have the Control Panel from MS Store, do you also run the DCH driver from the Store? Because you should. Nvidia pushes a separate branch for MS and it and the regular one don't like each other.

IMO... stay FAR away from the MS Store versions. Just install the bare driver from a place like Guru3D or from Nvidia site itself, remove all the bloat.

TPU also has NVCleanstall... this lets you select components and install the driver exactly how you want it.

Processor Ryzen 5 1500x
Display(s) LG 23MP55HQ
Case Cooler Master N200
Mouse Logitech G203
Benchmark Scores Geekbench 5 - CPU: 3999 GPU CUDA: 65132 Geekbench 4 - CPU: 15939 GPU OPENCL: 192394
Hi @Vayra86 , thank you, gonna try that, reply back here. Cheers!

Processor Ryzen 5 1500x
Display(s) LG 23MP55HQ
Case Cooler Master N200
Mouse Logitech G203
Alright
After a deep, 2 long days of discoveries, I see now the explanation of what's happening on here. I would like to put all my discoveries here so if someone is having the same issues, it will have a clearer picture.

TL;DR: It's something from the BFV itself, and not a Nvidia Control Panel issue. Dice wanted to overwrite the Nvidia custom settings because apparently there's a breach/cheat by using the Nvidia Inspector, so everytime BFV launches, it overwrites the custom nvidia settings, and set the global setting back. Looks like that instead of fixing the breach on the game, they blocked custom changes.

I've done the NvClean install, DDU, instaled the non-DCH drivers, removed all the files from Geforce Experience, but none of this had worked;

This issue was occurring only to Battlefield V. I've tested BF3, BF1, CSGO, Warframe, Apex, Resident Evil2, Cities Skylines, anyways, many games not only from EA or DICE, and none of them overwrites the custom settings on the Nvidia control Panel. I even monitored the Nvidia database files under c:\programdata\nvidia corporation\drs using DiskPulse application, and the game changed the files every startup. I even discovered a GFESDK.DLL on the Battlefield V files, for me looks like A Geforce Experience SDK to change the custom settings

One solution that I've found over other forums was to set the read-only configuration for these files under DRS folder, however everytime I do the read-only I would need to Undo the read only if I do a configuration for other game. Also, if the file is read only Nvidia control panel see that it was changed, and generates a new temp file, with default settings. People even created Batch files to everytime BFV starts it puts readonly on the files. After it undo the readonly.

Solution:
And I think that, that didn't work for me. So what I've done:
  • Set Nvidia Fast Sync for Vsync as a Global Config on Nvidia Control Panel, which allows better latency, similar to VSYNC OFF, and drop frames to show only 60Hz, so no tearing and good latency;
  • Other games as CSGO, set VSYNC OFF in the specific game configuration on Nvidia control Panel;
  • For games that aren't FPS, or Online games, that doesn't require to many Frames, 60 is enough, they run on Fast VSYNC, and with a frame rate limit of 60 on Riva Tuner;
  • On Riva Tuner I have profiles for Global with a 60 Frames limit (which will work with Fast vsync);
  • On Riva tuner I have profiles for the FPS and online games, with no limit (which will be with Fast Vsync, and unlimited Frames);

In the end, Fast Vsync solved, RivaTuner helped to Control amount of frames on less demanding, offline games. But all of this only because I'm enjoying playing Battlefield V, which I'll remove once I'm tired of that.

Thanks!

Sources:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical...ting-reset-at-each-launch-of-BFV/td-p/7479762
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...8444/nvidia-control-panel-wont-save-settings/
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/BF5-Freesync-settings/td-p/8391488
[www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/aqamfz/nvidia_control_panel_setting_reset_at_each_launch/]