• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA G-SYNC now Supports FreeSync/VESA Adaptive-Sync Technology

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's in Nvidia's best interest to offer it with a cost. It will make them money and I bet they think they diserve that money being those who brought Adaptive Sync to PCs and also will narrow somehow the price difference between top FreeSync monitors and GSync monitors. And again, this is Nvidia. They never lose the chance to make money. Of course we disagree, but that's just my opinion. Manufacturers on the other hand will gladly pay a small amount if that can move their models to the top of the list of possible monirtors to buy, that Nvidia owners have in their minds.

You can think whatever you prefer to think, but please just read the damn article because it says existing monitors have been certified. Do you really believe those will now get a price increase pushed by Nvidia? You realize that would hit the FreeSync part of the deal as well?

You're not making any sense.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
B-but this forum told me Nvidia is evil and greedy

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
OK, but what does this mean then...?
"I only hope manufacturers keep two monitors in the market. One with the Nvidia Gsync compatible badge and the higher price to cover Nvidia's royalties and one at the same quality standards, only FreeSync logo and the correct, lower, price."

Are you saying that you want people "confused" in to spending more money for a badge that is totally meaningless on the latest monitors? If not, then I simply do not understand what you are trying to say?
Yes, you obviously do not understand. The easiest thing for a manufacturer would be to have only one "GSYNC compatible" monitor in the market. That means, EVERYONE pays Nvidia's tax, even those who have AMD cards.

You can think whatever you prefer to think, but please just read the damn article because it says existing monitors have been certified. Do you really believe those will now get a price increase pushed by Nvidia? You realize that would hit the FreeSync part of the deal as well?

You're not making any sense.
You are also free to believe whatever you prefer to think. You can also choose to learn to read what the damn article says and not what you want it to say. If you could do that you would understand that Nvidia specifically pointed out ,that out of 500+ monitors only 12 where good enough for them. That's a deliberate attempt to create the image that over 90% of FreeSync monitors out there are at least subpar in some areas. That's a deliberate attempt to give extra value to their "GSync compatible" badge. That's a clear indication that that badge will be coming at a cost. Also, if you be kind enough to use logic, you could at least understand that I am talking about prices of future monitors. And if you learn to read the damn article again you will understand that except those 12 monitors, Nvidia does not consider the others GSync compatible, even if they are. They didn't pass their quality tests. They work, but Nvidia does not consider them good enough for the task. As for that "existing monitors have been certified" let me repeat my self. Read the damn article that is written, not the article that you have in your mind.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64

You were asking for more Gsync enabled monitor offerings in another topic a few days back.

There you go :) Free of charge

By the same level of logic, with this nVidia practically admits that it's been ripping clients off for years.

Wasn't that blatantly obvious from the get-go? Gsync was always a ripoff.

System Name Bongfjaes
Processor AMD 3700x
Motherboard Assus Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MT/s CL14
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB + Lots of spinning rust
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2268wm
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic TTR-1000
Mouse Pro Intellimouse
Keyboard SteelKeys 6G
Friggin, finally, bye g-sync tax

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
You were asking for more Gsync enabled monitor offerings in another topic a few days back.

There you go :) Free of charge

Wasn't that blatantly obvious from the get-go? Gsync was always a ripoff.

I didn't expect getting hundreds of viable monitors in a single day:)
G-snyc wasn't a complete ripoff, come on mate. It's not black and white.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
I didn't expect getting hundreds of viable monitors in a single day:)
G-snyc wasn't a complete ripoff, come on mate. It's not black and white.

Todays' article underlines that it was... Nvidia just certified monitors without Gsync module as capable. I don't see how you can get a clearer definition of ripoff honestly.

U28E590D? Freesync range 40-60Hz. Sorry but when we look at variable refresh rate, this is a bullshit monitor. Samsung added FreeSync on this just for the nice logo and so they could say it supports it.

It's a 4k monitor, hence why 40-60, I overclocked it to 72hz and made a nice 2560x1440. They should have supported it since is a 4k monitor.

Friggin, finally, bye g-sync tax

There is no bye g-sync tax since they choose which ones they will allow to, meaning there is a devil's deal around it.

The bye g-sync tax would be true only if all freesync monitors would be allowed which is not the case.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
The bye g-sync tax would be true only if all freesync monitors would be allowed which is not the case.

It is.

Update: We received word from NVIDIA that you can manually enable G-SYNC on all Adaptive-Sync monitors, even non-certified ones: "For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we'll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too."

Ripoff means you get nothing for your money. You still got something out of g-sync... for a tax:)

I guess, if that makes people feel better, by all means :D

Processor i5-9600K
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
Todays' article underlines that it was... Nvidia just certified monitors without Gsync module as capable. I don't see how you can get a clearer definition of ripoff honestly.

Ripoff means you get nothing for your money. You still got something out of g-sync... for a tax:)

so, NVidia can use both Gaysync and FreeSync while AMD just locked to FreeSync?

(0_0)

It's like M$ vs Linux. This is not good at all.
You do realize that G-Sync monitors are destined to disappear right? Who will buy a monitor that add 100-200$ to the price just to have G-Sync now?
Also, a monitor with only G-Sync will lock you down with nVidia limiting you future video card choices.

It still is, don't worry. The plan didn't go as they planned it yet again.

Finally a proper move from the green camp. Makes me wonder are they scared off red camp`s upcoming GPU`s?

It is.

Update: We received word from NVIDIA that you can manually enable G-SYNC on all Adaptive-Sync monitors, even non-certified ones: "For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we'll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too."

Good, now we just need a driver update then, wait we don't have it yet.

Code:
GeForce Game Ready Driver                                  

Version:  417.35  WHQL  Release Date:  2018.12.12  Operating System:  Windows 10 64-bit Language: English (US)  File Size: 543.95 MB

You do realize that G-Sync monitors are destined to disappear right? Who will buy a monitor that add 100-200$ to the price just to have G-Sync now?

Thank AMD for this, we all knew this has been coming, we did not know when, finally.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
I feel sorry for "gsynced" monitor owner .. they paying too much ..

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Finally a proper move from the green camp. Makes me wonder are they scared off red camp`s upcoming GPU`s?

This could be an indication that Navi/7nm Vega/7nm Polaris, whatever AMD is going to announce, is not that bad. Considering that Nvidia is doing the same mistake that it did 10 years ago with PhysX, I mean concentrating into promoting a specific feature and asking extra money for that, but seeing that people don't bite, letting FreeSync monitors work with Nvidia cards probably was a necessary move.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
NVIDIA is not immediately going to unlock adaptive-sync to all monitors, just the ones it has tested and found to work "perfectly" with their hardware.
That wreaks of desperation to not make G-Sync not look like such a waste of money. Watch them only approve the most expensive of displays just to make G-Sync look worth it.

Honest question, if you could use a FreeSync display on a nVidia card (any FreeSync Display,) would you ever buy a G-Sync screen with the nVidia tax tacked on to it? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
VRR (variable refresh rate) is coming up in a big way.
- DP Adaptive sync that (half of) Freesync is based on, has been an established thing for several years now.
- HDMI 2.1 is coming, just look at the announcements on this CES. It has VRR in the standard and it is coming to TVs first and monitors probably won't be far behind.
Nvidia has a desperate need to get on this VRR standards train. GSync worked for them when there were no widely adopted alternatives but with HDMI now joining DP having standard VRR functionality... they had no choice.

It's a 4k monitor, hence why 40-60, I overclocked it to 72hz and made a nice 2560x1440. They should have supported it since is a 4k monitor.
The thing is, FreeSync will only work on it while your FPS is between 40 and 60. With LFC, it would also work when FPS drops below that. This is one of the things GSync got right from the start.

Last edited:
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
This could be an indication that Navi/7nm Vega/7nm Polaris, whatever AMD is going to announce, is not that bad. Considering that Nvidia is doing the same mistake that it did 10 years ago with PhysX, I mean concentrating into promoting a specific feature and asking extra money for that, but seeing that people don't bite, letting FreeSync monitors work with Nvidia cards probably was a necessary move.

Possibly, but I don't consider that very likely. Nvidia has lots of wiggle room in their line up either in performance or in price. That is why they can be arrogant with Turing and launch it as they did, stating they will single handedly move gaming towards realtime RT (crystal ball says it ain't happenin').

I think what's more likely is that Gsync sales were not all that much to begin with (its an overpriced niche) and this counters the AMD FreeSync offerings that are consistently better deals in the midrange. AMD doesn't really even need new GPUs to make Gsync look 'meh'.

One thing is absolutely true, and that is 'Thank you AMD'. They followed Gsync suit with their own open technology, and this time it stuck, it got better, and it effected a change in the marketplace. Its not always like that, and I think its fair to admit this was a fantastic move on their part. Not so much Nvidia, for them its just reality catching up and they should have done this years ago.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Nope, I don't think AMD have anything coming that nGreedia can't easily better, unfortunatly. However, nGreedia may well be aware of just how low the average customer regards their shady shit.

I wonder what the next item of "goodwill" nGreedia will bestow upon us mere plebs, after the Phys-X and Greed-Sync announcements...?

LG OLED TV's will be coming with Variable Refresh Rates and because of that and some other things nvidia decided to do this. Nvidia cashed out from G-sync anyway since 2013, lots of money was made and lasted until now I guess.

Pekanbaru - Riau - Indonesia - Earth - Universe
System Name My Best Friend...
Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon 650
Motherboard Made By Xiaomi
Cooling Air and My Hands :)
Memory 3GB LPDDR3
Video Card(s) Adreno 510
Storage Sandisk 32GB SDHC Class 10
Display(s) 5.5" 1080p IPS BOE
Case Made By Xiaomi
Audio Device(s) Snapdragon ?
Power Supply 2A Adapter
Mouse On Screen
Keyboard On Screen
Software Android 6.0.1
Benchmark Scores 90339
They got their e-penis self confidence larger for sometime, for them it was a good deal nonetheless.

LOL, but yeah at first launch till now I still wonder, is it gsync module really needed or just driver and software to lock and unlock the feature ..

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember

They want to sell more Turdings and the jig is up. Gsync sales must be abysmal, too.

Nvidia told me adaptive sync was so terrible that you needed a their hardware solution with a fat mark up.

Chazragg

was happy to see the mg278q appear on the list, bought it not long back bring on the 15th!

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
LOL, but yeah at first launch till now I still wonder, is it gsync module really needed or just driver and software to lock and unlock the feature ..
It was needed back in 2013 but now has widespread alteratives. Gsync module is basically a scaler with variable refresh rate support.