• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2 GB

Thanks for the review. Well done as always.
Just a minor note: I do agree with the people who are suggesting some GPGPU benching tho, I always missed those from the great TPU reviews tbh,

Back to the topic; This card is Kepler well done with a good price. Nvidia did the right thing imo, and they did it well this time like with the 650Ti-Boost.... so I can't really understand why are some people bitter about it.

ps.: This new reference cooler still looks way too sexy imo :B

System Name Main Workstation
Processor Ryzen 1700 @ 3800 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 2 x 8 GB G.Skill Flare X 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1800 Classified
Storage Crucial MX200 500 GB
Case BC1 Open Benchtable Silver
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD 650 /w Apogee Groove and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 860W
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Leopold FC980C White /w Hasu controller
Software Windows 10 64 bit
" Beautiful cooler "

Shame we can't buy them at retail, I think wizzard should remove it as a thumbs up in his conclusion.

Thought Inno3d has a reference design for sale?

Last edited:
System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
Thought Inno3d has a reference design for sale?

Depends on which side of the pond one lives, I think. I only found 630 and 560 cards online under that brand.

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
Wow...Nvidia just do not stop the trolling with these overpriced fail cards, now for the second time with the 700 series.

The cheapest GTX 770 is still £50-£60 more expensive than the equivalent 7970 with at least 4 games free, and this is the inferior card in pretty much every way (less VRAM, smaller bus, smaller die, less transistors, etc).

Worse still, is that this is a re-brand without a die shrink or even the slightest revision of silicon, making it shittier than the craptastic rebrands Nvidia is so famously hated for (9800GTX had some extra VRAM and die shrunk versions, same thing with the GTS 250, this thing has nothing extra or changed vs a 680), so these will likely be on the brink of instability judging by how badly GTX 680s reacted to slightest overclocking. GTX 680 owners are merely a BIOS flash away from upgrading to a 770 anyway, so they're not missing out on anything and since GTX 680s and GTX 770s use identical cores, OEMs will be busy BIOS flashing their leftover inventory of GTX 680s.

Oh and you gotta feel sorry for the Titan owners...good lord, as if it wasn't bad enough that they got arse-raped thoroughly on the terrible price, shitty performance and the throttling issues their Titans had due to insufficient power, now their one and only bragging right (the cooler) is passed on as budget-range garbage without even the slightest modification (other than the side plate saying GTX 770/780 or whatever). Even the freaking PCB is untouched straight from the Titan -- not surprising, they must have thought they would have fooled a lot more suckers into buying their colossally overpriced Titan(ic), so the leftover parts from the Titans that nobody wants to buy are obviously going straight in to these. Gotta love Nvidia, now shitting on even its most loyal fans with bucket loads of money to burn. Funnily enough, I was originally waiting for the Titan Ultra (full GK110 2880 core version) to release, but it is just way too late for me to even consider buying it, regardless of how good it would be, since Volcanic Islands are right around the corner (which will more than likely destroy the Titan).

Can't wait to see Nvidia epically fail next gen as well -- at least here in Europe & the UK. Most e-tailers here are constantly running out of AMD GPUs to sell and yet most of the Nvidia GPUs seem to stay in their inventory forever, even with MUCH lower stock levels of Nvidia cards. I sincerely hope AMD's Volcanic Islands take Nvidia early by surprise and wipe the floor with the Titan, because Nshittia have to learn the hard way that their overpriced shit just isn't going to sell if they're not willing to stay competitive.

P.S. W1z, how did you get the GTX 770 to use less power than the 7970? Which power state was the 7970 in (Zero Core or not)? Other sites are saying AMD's Zero Core still edges out the GTX 770 at idle.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
P.S. W1z, how did you get the GTX 770 to use less power than the 7970? Which power state was the 7970 in (Zero Core or not)? Other sites are saying AMD's Zero Core still edges out the GTX 770 at idle.

not zerocore. zerocore is only active when you don't use the pc, which has its advantages but it doesnt reflect the desktop usage scenario we are looking at (internet, office, etc)

Reactions: Am*

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
not zerocore. zerocore is only active when you don't use the pc, which has its advantages but it doesnt reflect the desktop usage scenario we are looking at (internet, office, etc)

Just as I suspected. Thanks.

Wow...Nvidia just do not stop the trolling with these overpriced fail cards, now for the second time with the 700 series.

The cheapest GTX 770 is still £50-£60 more expensive than the equivalent 7970 with at least 4 games free, and this is the inferior card in pretty much every way (less VRAM, smaller bus, smaller die, less transistors, etc).

Worse still, is that this is a re-brand without a die shrink or even the slightest revision of silicon, making it shittier than the craptastic rebrands Nvidia is so famously hated for (9800GTX had some extra VRAM and die shrunk versions, same thing with the GTS 250, this thing has nothing extra or changed vs a 680), so these will likely be on the brink of instability judging by how badly GTX 680s reacted to slightest overclocking. GTX 680 owners are merely a BIOS flash away from upgrading to a 770 anyway, so they're not missing out on anything and since GTX 680s and GTX 770s use identical cores, OEMs will be busy BIOS flashing their leftover inventory of GTX 680s.

Oh and you gotta feel sorry for the Titan owners...good lord, as if it wasn't bad enough that they got arse-raped thoroughly on the terrible price, shitty performance and the throttling issues their Titans had due to insufficient power, now their one and only bragging right (the cooler) is passed on as budget-range garbage without even the slightest modification (other than the side plate saying GTX 770/780 or whatever). Even the freaking PCB is untouched straight from the Titan -- not surprising, they must have thought they would have fooled a lot more suckers into buying their colossally overpriced Titan(ic), so the leftover parts from the Titans that nobody wants to buy are obviously going straight in to these. Gotta love Nvidia, now shitting on even its most loyal fans with bucket loads of money to burn. Funnily enough, I was originally waiting for the Titan Ultra (full GK110 2880 core version) to release, but it is just way too late for me to even consider buying it, regardless of how good it would be, since Volcanic Islands are right around the corner (which will more than likely destroy the Titan).

Can't wait to see Nvidia epically fail next gen as well -- at least here in Europe & the UK. Most e-tailers here are constantly running out of AMD GPUs to sell and yet most of the Nvidia GPUs seem to stay in their inventory forever, even with MUCH lower stock levels of Nvidia cards. I sincerely hope AMD's Volcanic Islands take Nvidia early by surprise and wipe the floor with the Titan, because Nshittia have to learn the hard way that their overpriced shit just isn't going to sell if they're not willing to stay competitive.

Lets see the other side of the story.

- Kepler actually (in fact) offers the same fps figures for less power, period.
- Nvidia offers the most powerful single chip GPU atm (I'm really not into SLI/Crossfire tbh. I did build many multiGPU rigs, but I would never get one for myself)
- The card has the fastest DDR5 memory up to date, which is progress after all (please show me an example where 2GB memory hinders performance vs 3GB or more, and please don't come with 5760x1080 test figures, because no serious gamer would play anything with 20-30fps).
- Nvidia produces smoother gameplay experience for enthusiast gamers who are playing with 120Hz monitors (or above: eg: 144Hz) because it doesn't stutters crazy all the way in and out like how AMD cards do. (as an avid gamer, this is the most important thing for me by far, and yes I do notice the difference 9 out of 10 occasions)
- Nvidia actually provides working SLI profiles for almost all the AAA titles and they also offer Physx as well (however, I do agree that the latter is not that important/useful atm).
- And it's quiet!

So while Nvidia is indeed more expensive most of the times, but it offers better quality too in my opinion (and they also have good deals like the 650ti-boost or this card, which are still the best buys, well according to the industry at least). Perhaps this "budget-range garbage" maker is not that hopeless as you might think, because some of us still prefer quality over price and/or "maximum fps" numbers.

Just my two cents...

rdr09

What's up with Metro

I tested my 7970 at Very High setting with 4MSAA at 1080 using the in-game benchmark in Metro and scored a 53 fps average, which matched the 780 at 1050 rez, what gives?

i was just using a PHII x 6 4GHz. Please tell me if I missed a setting or two.

Attachments

• metro 3.PNG
    metro 3.PNG
    147.4 KB · Views: 768

swagnuggets123

System Name Beaufighter mk 1
Processor i7 3970x @ 5ghz
Motherboard ASrock x79 Extreme 11
Cooling 5 swiftech 480mm radiator with a cpu waterblock and 4 full cover gpu waterblock
Memory 64gb Kingston Hyperx Beast 2133 Quad Channel @ 2770
Video Card(s) 4 Galaxy Geforce Gtx 780 HOF editions
Storage Samsung EVO 1tb SSD Western Digital WD SE 4 tb
Display(s) 3 Asus PQ321 31.5in 4k monitors in Nvidia Surround
Case Corsair 900D
Power Supply LEPA G Series 1600 Watt 80 PLUS GOLD Certified
Software Windows 8 Pro, Linux Mint
Another review?

Can i please have a review with 770 sli? Please