• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GTX 1650 Lacks Turing NVENC Encoder, Packs Volta's Multimedia Engine

Using the second card for stream encoding is one of those niche use cases I was talking about(granted, also one that I also pointed out makes little sense)
Right, and streamers are that niche group. I think we're agreeing, just from two different pages in the same chapter/book.

Would you like to know the GCN version corresponding wrt each of these cards? If you don't here's a good site for starters ~ GPU Database
I know VCE features correspond to GCN. But why should a consumer have to know this?
You're into hardware. You follow this things. A normal gamer shouldn't. For him R9 370X and R9 380X are cards from the same generation. That's why AMD named them like that, isn't it? :)

Of course Nvidia does the same thing, but they also have good documentation, so you can find the actual specs pretty easily.
I asked @GoldenX whether his card offers a fairly basic encoding feature (lossless encoding). All he could tell me is that it offers the same features as cards built on the same GCN...

Right, and streamers are that niche group. I think we're agreeing, just from two different pages in the same chapter/book.
Game streamers are a niche group. Streaming (we could call it "real-time encoding/decoding") is not a niche activity. Many people do it. They will still benefit from a hardware encoder/decoder.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Streamers aren't using a second card on a regular bases. Using a second card is a niche use case. It also doesn't make any sense when you really consider it, which is why almost no one does it.

Streamers aren't using a second card on a regular bases. Using a second card is a niche use case. It also doesn't make any sense when you really consider it, which is why almost no one does it.
Fair point, which goes back to the point of buying a more powerful card if you're gaming and stream at the same time.

Game streamers are a niche group. Streaming (we could call it "real-time encoding/decoding") is not a niche activity. Many people do it. They will still benefit from a hardware encoder/decoder.
I think you missed my point, but no worries.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Fair point, which goes back to the point of buying a more powerful card if you're gaming and stream at the same time.
Unless you want to encode at 4k and high framerate, then you need a nice 2080Ti AND a dedicated encoding card that may be more expensive than the 2080Ti.

Nasty, petty minded company, with an open contempt for its own customers.
How dare they not give away for free their product?
The same way you are working for free now I guess.

Yes, so solid that even the youtube reviews are giving it a meh/miss at that price :rolleyes:
Also what about the up to 15% better efficiency via Turing NVENC?
That's only for 4K encoding. The 1080p encoding is done the same.
Playing 4k video games is out of question on this card.

offers a fairly basic encoding feature (lossless encoding)
You are kidding, no? There is no lossless encoding in any commercial video cards. You are confusing with audio encoding.

Last edited:
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Right? How dare they sell an inferior performing GPU for more money..

OH NOES a company is selling a product for a price I don't agree with! Quick, call the Internet police!

Or... we could just let the free market sort this out. IDK.

How dare they not give away for free their product?
The same way you are working for free now I guess.

That's only for 4K encoding. The 1080p encoding is done the same.
Playing 4k video games is out of question on this card.

You are kidding, no? There is no lossless encoding in any commercial video cards. You are confusing with audio encoding.

Uhm there are, at least on ffmpeg you can encode lossless video with nvenc. And yeah that nvenc/nvdec matrix have lossless supported on all nvenc chips listed.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Unless you want to encode at 4k and high framerate, then you need a nice 2080Ti AND a dedicated encoding card that may be more expensive than the 2080Ti.

No you don't. Even encoding 4K doesn't really affect gaming performance when done on the same card. Again, you are still acting like the encoding happens on the same part of the GPU as game rendering, it doesn't. There is dedicated hardware built into the GPU that will encode up to 8K with next to no gaming performance loss.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
No you don't. Even encoding 4K doesn't really affect gaming performance when done on the same card. Again, you are still acting like the encoding happens on the same part of the GPU as game rendering, it doesn't. There is dedicated hardware built into the GPU that will encode up to 8K with next to no gaming performance loss.
There is always a performance loss, you are wasting a lot of bandwidth. Good luck with encoding while using RTX.

ffmpeg you can encode lossless video with nvenc.
Actually all commercial video encoding is based on lossy compression. There might be cases in h264 and h265 when you could have a loseless region (or something like a picture), but was never meant for whole actual video.
Bit rates for crf=0 would be too high, using crf=12-15 quality-wise there is no difference. Especially when we are talking about games being the video source.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
I know VCE features correspond to GCN. But why should a consumer have to know this?
You're into hardware. You follow this things. A normal gamer shouldn't. For him R9 370X and R9 380X are cards from the same generation. That's why AMD named them like that, isn't it? :)

Of course Nvidia does the same thing, but they also have good documentation, so you can find the actual specs pretty easily.
I asked @GoldenX whether his card offers a fairly basic encoding feature (lossless encoding). All he could tell me is that it offers the same features as cards built on the same GCN...

Lossless video is useless unless you want a 50TB file.

Lossless video is useless unless you want a 50TB file.
Lossless encoding is used by many processes and software. It doesn't mean you have to save a lossless file.

I've linked NVENC information earlier. Lossless encoding is supported.

When your source is game originated, and especially when you are posting it on the net, lossless is useless. You need a professional camera to have that quality of the input that loseless would matter. And even then, you can distribute that only on HDD.
This is ridiculous.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
There is always a performance loss, you are wasting a lot of bandwidth. Good luck with encoding while using RTX.

Lower framerates doesn't tell us why. The NVENC still uses a pretty big portion of the CPU. I'm using it to encode a 1080p video right now as I write the post, and on my 8700K, it's loading my CPU to 30%.

My point is a second graphics card wouldn't help any, because the load on the graphics card is in a different place. Again, I've actually used this extensively, including trying it with a second card in the computer.

When your source is game originated, and especially when you are posting it on the net, lossless is useless. You need a professional camera to have that quality of the input that loseless would matter. And even then, you can distribute that only on HDD.
This is ridiculous.
My knowledge about game streaming is limited, so I'd rather not focus on that.
Frankly, I actually use game streaming quite a lot (both up and down) - quite likely more than many forum members. I just don't think about it very much.

In general, lossless encoding is very important - both for saving and sharing lossless content. Remember that hardware encoders aren't used just for games.

Lower framerates doesn't tell us why. The NVENC still uses a pretty big portion of the CPU.
NVENC, as a hardware encoder, takes the encoding load from your CPU (that's the whole point) - of course if it supports the whole process (it may be missing something).
But the computer still uses a lot of other resources just to move data around, validate etc. This is what CPUs are for.

You know... GPUs were invented to take gaming load of the CPUs. CPU isn't doing the actual render, but it's still pretty well utilized. ;-)