• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial NVIDIA: Image Quality for DLSS in Metro Exodus to Be Improved in Further Updates, and the Nature of the Beast

Well CEO shouldn't lie unless he wants to get sued by the SEC and possibly be booted out of his own company. Its hard to believe someone that makes a contradictory statement to what we just heard in a Financial report.
Has the thought occurred to you that both could be true?

System Name Personal Gaming Rig
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI X670E Carbon
Cooling MO-RA 3 420
Memory 32GB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 ICHILL FROSTBITE ULTRA
Storage 4x 2TB Nvme
Display(s) Samsung G8 OLED
Case Silverstone FT04
One word. Latency. We already can see the latency hit it takes when using the tensor cores (hence why the GPU needs to be under heavy load, otherwise the framerate will be too high to make it worth it.) Offloading this stuff to the CPU will make the latency problem worse, at least that's my take on it.

Yes and it is disappointed Nvidia went with the downsampling route of DLSS and hid the fact that there is a virtual framerate cap because of latency issues.
Would be nice if they kept their promises and release the "upsampling to 8k" route of DLSS, but nobody mentions it now so I guess it vanished into thin air already.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Yes and it is disappointed Nvidia went with the downsampling route of DLSS and hid the fact that there is a virtual framerate cap because of latency issues.
Would be nice if they kept their promises and release the "upsampling to 8k" route of DLSS, but nobody mentions it now so I guess it vanished into thin air already.
It's not disappointing as much as it's predictable. I'm actually happy that nVidia is finding a use for this stuff. In this day and age with the amount of compute power on GPUs, it's insane to think that we can't do these kinds of things. There actually is quite a bit of value in doing something like DLSS. The problem is one of what you're striving for. If you goal is performance, DLSS actually isn't bad if native 4k isn't performant enough. If your goal is image quality, this is most definitely not a tool you want in your arsenal.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Have you actually seen the effect in question? 80-90fps is not "Shitty". BF5 is not that great a game, but it does show what can be done, to great effect, with raytracing. Maybe you're not seeing the subtleties?

But that illustrates perfectly the point I was making, AF took time to perfect. That doesn't mean early implementations were perfect, but they were good enough to show the benefit on offer.

That is not logical as stated.

Except that 2080ti's are still selling out and the RTX series is one of the fastest selling lines of GPU's in history. And "Physx" functionality is literally built in to every GPU NVidia makes making it one of the most adopted feature sets in the world.

Isn't this thread about DLSS and how it's implementation lowers visual quality with performance equal to a 70% render that has better visual quality.

It's like saying a car is as fast as a fighter jet, but then failing to disclose it's only while both are turned off.

What part of DLSS has worse visual quality than no DLSS is hard to understand? What part of rendering at 70% provides the same performance as DLSS is hard to understand? What part of rendering at 70% with the same performance at DLSS with better visual quality do you not understand?

Are you so blind to a brand that you really cannot see a fault here? A feature that reduces quality to regain performance that is inferior to existing technology or technique is not better, it's worse.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Isn't this thread about DLSS and how it's implementation lowers visual quality with performance equal to a 70% render that has better visual quality.
Well, the thread title is about how they were improved in Metro...not about how bad the implementation is.

Owners need a thread just avoid this bullshit. Lol

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Well, the thread title is about how they were improved in Metro...not about how bad the implementation is.
A frosted dog turd is still a dog turd.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
This thread IS about the frosting. :)
Right, when it should be about the dog turd or at the very least marketed like a dog turd. The frosting is literally the distraction. The point isn't that it's improving, the point is that it's always going to be mediocre despite improvements because it's just fancy upscaling, nothing more, nothing less. This article is more like a, "we improved image quality and it's a work in progress," when this feature was never about image quality and completely about performance. It's like saying that running at 720p instead of 480p is an improvement on a 1080p native display. Sure, it's an improvement, but it still sucks when it comes to image quality. If nVidia marketed this as what it actually was, fancy upscaling, we wouldn't have a problem.
I feel like you're trying to bait me by doing this.