• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Interested in Acquiring Arm from SoftBank

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
AMD has CPU and GPU products in portfolio, can combine the two.
Intel has CPU and GPU products (the latter was lacking, but they have realized it's a problem)
NV, with just aGPU products is in a risky position (e.g. what will happen to NV's MX chips when Intel rolls out its own?)

#metoo moment for them on one hand.

On the other, of all the imaginable things that could have happened to Arm, getting into The Leather Man's hand is the worst: otrageous business practices, track record of killing tech like PhysX and pissing off: Microsoft, Apple, TSMC. The guy seems to play only zero-sum games.

And, last, but not least, does company's stock price going up automatically mean it has more cash?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
So much talk, so little knowledge in this thread.
It seems like most of you have no idea what the implications would be if ARM ended up with a company that would stop licensing the architecture.
Everyone thinks about phones, but that's really just a tiny, tiny part of ARM based hardware.

Think about all the MCUs out there based on the Cortex-M series and suddenly you realise that there will be a lot less chips for everything from bluetooth to wireless headphones to thermostats to rice cookers and what not.
ARM chips are in just about everything we use that have some kind of processing power today, even more so in lower power devices.
Sure, there's some competition here by old 8051 8-bit MCUs and some other 8, 16 and 32-bit MCUs, but I would say 75%+ is based on ARM today.

The Cortex-R series is used in SSD controllers, car computers and anything that requires an RTOS.

The Cortex-A series of SoC processor cores are also the most widely used processor core in routers today, even though MIPS technically has a better architecture for routers, but they simply didn't keep up with ARM. They're obviously in phones, but also in pretty much all modern "smart" TVs, set-top-boxes, media players, smart speakers and what not.

It would be an utter disaster if ARM ended up being sold to a company that didn't continue to license the technology, as it we'd end up in a situation where there would be no new products for at least a couple of years until there's something available to replace all these different parts that are based on ARM architectures. RISC-V seems to have the best place in the market right now to step up, but so far, it's not a simple task as there are no simple drop-in replacements, as the architectures are quite different, despite both being RISC based. MIPS seems to have committed harakiri, so I'm not sure they'll ever come back from that. ARC/Synopsys might be able to replace some MCU designs as well. PowerPC is mostly dead in this space as well. Intel has proven they can't do low power. AMD, who knows?

Maybe the world has become to reliant on ARM and its processor designs, but they haven't really had too much competition either. So yeah, this is very disconcerting to say the least.

Which is why it's more likely they will not be bought by any large company with obvious interests in the industry. Spin off, IPO. Makes more sense from a regulatory view.

If Nvidia ends up buying ARM, it will certainly have many clauses from regulators, one of which is to continue to license the technology.

A way to re-enter the phone market, maybe with an nVidia phone.

This is not Nvidia's business model. The only product they have which is not a component, per se, is the Nvidia shield, and that is because it is more of a technology demonstrator of the platform's capacities.

If anyone can continue ARM's work, it is Nvidia or Intel. I'd rather have Nvidia doing this, though. They are more familiar with ARM design and IP than Intel, and it would open up a world of options for the datacentre space where Nvidia has been pushing its ML/AI/HPC solutions.

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of people commenting on Nvidia buying ARM and pulling licenses. That's just daft. The biggest reason Nvidia has to buy ARM is to continue ARM's licensing model. What would ARM be without its licensing revenue? Does Nvidia have a competing alternative to ARM? No. That would just be shooting yourself in the foot.

Which is why it's more likely they will not be bought by any large company with obvious interests in the industry. Spin off, IPO. Makes more sense from a regulatory view.

Spin off & IPO would end up handing the company to a Chinese investment fund (because, let's face it, that's what would happen) and it's the surest way to kill off ARM.

but realistically when it comes to SoC there are not many choice for that either. Qualcomm is pretty much forcing all smartphone maker to use their snapdragon package. other SoC maker most often have only two choice when it comes to GPU: ARM own Mali or Imagination Technologies PowerVR. AMD also now present but since the effort is a joint venture between AMD and samsung there is possibilities samsung want to keep AMD GPU to their line of SoC as an advantage over others. for majority of SoC maker they most often go with ARM Mali. imagination real customer for the last decade really is only apple. hence when apple decided to make their own custom GPU Imagination basically screwed back then....until some chinese company bought them.

The main problem is that you can achieve better economies of scale and performance, as well as lower costs to develop (i.e. the buy in to develop a mobile graphics architecture would cost billions and take years). So they buy the whole package from the same vendor (e.g. Qualcomm). It isn't pretty, but it's what there is. Samsung and AMD will definitely keep their product locked to Exynos SoCs. As for the other vendors who develop their own SoCs, like you said, they rely on PowerVR or Mali (that latter of which, I hear, is quite expensive).

Does anyone know whether there is - somewhere - in the Intel Xe product stack a mobile part?

The only "independent" GPU IP that is around that isn't half-bad, and could possibly be the object of investment is Broadcom's VideoCore (VI, right now) which powers the Raspberry PI 4... If Broadcom were to part with it.

Last edited:
System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Its obvious, SoftBank would get most on the brink of Apple transition to ARM. Its all about money and now its the best time to do that. I am pretty sure Apple is the only one that has enough money to buy it and SoftBank know it, there no other buyer.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
If Nvidia ends up buying ARM, it will certainly have many clauses from regulators, one of which is to continue to license the technology.
Current technology yes, but can they be forced to license future technology?

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of people commenting on Nvidia buying ARM and pulling licenses. That's just daft. The biggest reason Nvidia has to buy ARM is to continue ARM's licensing model. What would ARM be without its licensing revenue? Does Nvidia have a competing alternative to ARM? No. That would just be shooting yourself in the foot.
Well, there are many ways it could go, but today, Nvidia is not a technology licensing company for sure. With their current business model, it doesn't make sense, although I guess they could change that.

I highly doubt it's the biggest reason for Nvidia to buy them though, the biggest reason would be to own their own ecosystem and become competitive with Intel and AMD.
Looking how successful, or rather not successful Nvidia has been with a lot of their acquisitions in the past, to me, this is scary.

Some examples of companies that Nvidia bought and killed: Exluna, MediaQ, iREady, ULi (ok, so they sold chipsets for a while), Hybrid Graphics, PortalPlayer (parts might be used in Tegra) and Icera (3G/4G modem company, killed in less than four years). That leaves Ageia (although PhysX doesn't seem to be a thing any more), PGI (compilers, debuggers etc.) and hopefully Mellanox as successful buys. Not exactly a splendid track record. Obviously some of the technology might've been used in other products, but they seem to be no better than the competition in making something out of their acquisitions.

So say hey buy ARM, I can see them killing off a lot of the business units within ARM, GPUs for one, as they'll want everyone to use Nvidia and not ATI based GPU technology. Maybe they'll sell off or kill the Cortex-M series. They'll most likely want to hang on to the "new" server architecture from ARM, as they seem to be wanting to build their own servers. This might also mean that they'll cut off the likes of AppliedMicro, Cavium and Fujitsu. Not sure how interested they would be to continue to support the phone chip makers, as that requires a lot of staff, although, if they can get their graphics technology into that part of the market, they might do it.

Too many unknowns, but as I said, this is disconcerting, as ARM technology is in vastly more products than most people think about.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I can't wait for the Nvidia FE Fridge with HDR1000 screen complete with game controller and wireless connectivity to the latest HMD for Virtually browsing the contents.
PC Partner editions can add RGB and special edition cooling such as Windforce chiller for the vegetable crisper.

Scary news, not only that they may kill it, make it much more expensive, or let it have slow to no progress, but they may finally force their GPP program or something similar to it

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
Funny, it seems to me like Nvidia's ARM effors have slowed down in recent years.

Remember that AMD wasted billions and a lot of their manpower on ARM efforts for years and getting "nowhere", and is largely responsible for AMD to failing to compete in the CPU market for years. It's better to stick to the stuff you know, than trying to conquer new markets with several established players.

I question Nvidia's motivation with ARM. Nvidia's primary market is desktop graphics, ARM CPUs would stand no chance there. and they would risk losing their entire market share.

Also, Arms will be everywhere in the future, not just in phone. This would give Nvidia the ability to compette against AMD and Intel who both do CPU + GPU

But i suspect they won't be alone there, and i wouldn't be surprised if they go public instead for even more money.
ARM is used pretty much everywhere in embedded devices, but have no chance against the performance of x86.

ARM is the future and everyone is tired of legacy x86. Make it happen Jensen!
ARM would have to become CISC to compete with x86 performance.

And ARM is "old" as well, 35 years already, we have been waiting for this new "future" since the 80s.
The whole "legacy" argument about x86 has been dead since the mid 90s as x86 microarchitectures uses micro-operations, combining the best of CISC and RISC.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
Tears confirming that ARM is future. At least for datacenter/HPC.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Even if nothing happens, I just took delight from reading the comments and seeing people squirm.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
Their aim is to be the new supreme being.

534D6D9B-C148-4841-A5B8-980EE4D7B2D7.gif

All that I can read and understand from that movement is that Japan, who once was a giant and the biggest innovator in electronics and technology overall, will lose and sell another tech company to a richer player out there.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
All that I can read and understand from that movement is that Japan, who once was a giant and the biggest innovator in electronics and technology overall, will lose and sell another tech company to a richer player out there.
You are aware ARM was British until not that long ago, right? It's got nothing to do with Japanese tech.

lol, the fanboyism in this thread is just amazing. Ya'll talking like all those billions belong to you.
The special snowflaking in your comment is as equally amazing. There is nothing wrong with people sharing how they feel about something that will very likely affect us all long term.

Hmh, what about Mali? Nvidia did try to license their own IP, but no-one took it(Kepler if I remember correctly).

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
I think Softbank is going to make ARM public and these tactics are just to increase IPO.
Usually there are two main reasons to go public; raise a lot of money or inflate the stock price while slowly dumping shares. The latter is harder to do with a company which is not consumer-facing.

ARF

Nvidia has no enough cash to buy ARM.
No one in the right mind will allow this, the number 1 most important and strategic technology holding to be sold to one of the most corrupt, terrible and unfair US corp that could ever exist.

ARM is used pretty much everywhere in embedded devices, but have no chance against the performance of x86.

Amazon Graviton 2 ARM based server is already competitive with x86 after just 2 generation. The Apple ARM cpu is also quite powerful while still being a low power part.

The main advantages of x86 was never that this architecture was more efficient. It was always the installed base, the software catalogue of binary apps and the lead that intel had with their Fabs...

Now there are so many developpers working on arms devices, there are new technologies for Just in Time, pre-run binary translation, very good compiler and the best Fabs in the world is no longer Intel.

And the main reason ARM will take over is probably not because ARM is a better architecture, but to the fact that it's more open. There are more company and more money right now that have stakes in ARM than in x86.

That's it

Am I the only one sort of excited about Nvidia buying arm. things going sideways

And then maybe open risc v will become a thing...
Or maybe IBM could pull there head out of there back side and make power PC great again.

Usually there are two main reasons to go public; raise a lot of money or inflate the stock price while slowly dumping shares. The latter is harder to do with a company which is not consumer-facing.
Raising a lot of money seems like a good enough reason to me.

System Name Alienation from family
Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard Hero VIII
Cooling Macho revB
Memory 16gb Hyperx
Video Card(s) Asus 1080ti Strix OC
Storage 960evo 500gb
Display(s) AOC 4k
Case Define R2 XL
Power Supply Be f*ing Quiet 600W M Gold
Mouse NoName
Keyboard NoNameless HP
Software You have nothing on me
Benchmark Scores Personal record 100m sprint: 60m
Nvidia is perfect for ARM future, but maybe not enough money to buy it.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Please no. Worst news of the year so far.

Anti-Trust, ... to much saturation of everything in a few companies is always bad for consumers.

Nvidia is perfect for ARM future, but maybe not enough money to buy it.

Who the hell are you, a cheerleader for corporate greed? A**hole.

Last edited: