• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Proposes that AI Will Accelerate Climate Research Innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
It’s so weird that we can’t talk politics on this forum but people are free to peddle politically motivated conspiracy theories with no scientific foundation

Sorry to say, the vast majority of meteorologists agree with climatologists about climate change.
And yes, much of the damage done by climate change is irreversible, which is what those timeframes were about. Try reading the studies instead of headlines
People aren't tired of the topic because climate change doesn't exist. People are tired because the blame gets shifted onto them, when they have no choice but to buy and use the energy-hungry pieces of crap pushed out by megacorporations that actually have the power to do something. Most people just want to live a normal life without being blamed for the world's problems, that's all.

System Name boomer--->zoomer not your typical millenial build
Processor i5-760 @ 3.8ghz + turbo ~goes wayyyyyyyyy fast cuz turboooooz~
Motherboard P55-GD80 ~best motherboard ever designed~
Cooling NH-D15 ~double stack thot twerk all day~
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP ~memory gone AWOL~
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 ~*~GOLDEN EDITION~*~ RAWRRRRRR
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo (OS X, *nix), 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (W10 Pro), 1TB SpinPoint F3 ~best in class
Display(s) ASUS VW246H ~best 24" you've seen *FULL HD* *1O80PP* *SLAPS*~
Case FT02-W ~the W stands for white but it's brushed aluminum except for the disgusting ODD bays; *cries*
Audio Device(s) A LOT
Power Supply 850W EVGA SuperNova G2 ~hot fire like champagne~
Mouse CM Spawn ~cmcz R c00l seth mcfarlane darawss~
Keyboard CM QF Rapid - Browns ~fastrrr kees for fstr teens~
Software integrated into the chassis
Benchmark Scores 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
That’s a poor reading of these skeptic’s posts and of whom the “alarmists” are targeting but ooookay

And I didn’t say anyone was tired. If anything, they obviously have tons of energy for skepticism

Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Software Windows 10 Pro
That’s a poor reading of these skeptic’s posts and of whom the “alarmists” are targeting but ooookay

And I didn’t say anyone was tired. If anything, they obviously have tons of energy for skepticism
Well, the "alarmists" have tons of energy to ring their bells, so it's only fair, I suppose.

In my book, "alarmist" means someone who craves an unwarranted and excessive amount of attention either for themselves, or for a topic by spreading negative news. I don't want to join either them, or the "skeptics". I'm one of those who just want to live a healthy life.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
"The truth is more complicated. Climate change won’t destroy the planet, although it will change the environment we’re accustomed to, in ways we can't predict and with possibly dire consequences. And weaponizing “failed predictions” of the past to justify leaving the climate problem to the market is deceptive. If we don't act because a previous prediction "failed," we face an array of human suffering, which will hit the poorest and disadvantaged the hardest."
Have you ever heard of "the boy who cried wolf"?

If your group has consistently foretold the horrors of the world ending for half a century, and these horrific events never come to pass despite 99% of these "climate goals" never being met, it may be time to question how these people are coming to these conclusions. It reminds me of the religious cults that are constantly preaching about the end of the world, then change the date to a later date when it turns out the rapture didnt happen. Much like those in the cult, every time climate "scientists " wildly miss the mark they simply move the date back 10 years with excuses of how their models were "inaccurate" but now we have "new data" to show the climate rapture will ABSOLUTELY happen this time. And now, we can add "muh disavdvantaged groups" for extra emotional manipulation, because peopel are starting to question how you can make a career out of constantly being wrong.
Pointing to the past failures of early climate models and calling it a hoax merely based on that ignores the fact that the concrete actions we have taken have certainly made an impact.
Your "concrete actions" have resulted in total imperical output of CO2 globally increasing by over 100% since 1977. In 77 it was 18.5 billion tons of CO2. In 2022 it was 37.49 billion.

And yet, despite this being the "worst case scenario" for climate scientists in the 70s, 80s, 90,s, ece, none of their predictions of global annihilation came true. Florida was supposed to be underwater by 2000 2010 2020 if CO2 output didnt decrease. It has doubled, yet florida remains above water.

So what gives? Why should we have any stock in any current predictions when all the past ones have failed miserably despite a worst case scenario? Why is THIS time the truly accurate time that we have "5 years" before there is permanent damage (whatever that means)? This is why people question the entire movement.
Even if you don't believe in any of the outcomes of climate change models, everyone should want clear air, less pollution, and healthy biodiversity. You don't need to believe in climate change to want those, the benefit is obvious and happens to almost always coincide with helping offset greenhouse gas output.
Yes, clean air and water is nice. You know what isnt nice? Torpedoing out entire power grid, transportation infrastructure, farming infrastructure, ece to achieve this, ruining the lives of the very billions we are supposed to be "saving". It would also be nice if, in the headlong attempts tp trust into the "clean" age, we didnt obliterate rivers in the congo and australia with cobalt and nickel poisoning, or pump billions of gallons of toxic waste into the pacific while making solar panels that we will cut down acre upon acre of wild territory for.

But those are not CO2, so we dont care about them right now. We're just trading a bad problem for a worse one. CO2 can be scrubbed via plants, CO2 scrubbers, ece. Heavy metal poisoning not so much.
Just as an example, if the US were to invest 384 million per year for 5 years in upgrading transmission lines, it would allow green energy to be built at scale in locations that are best suited for it and that energy could then be sold around the country. This would create a ton of jobs, go a long way to de-carbonizing the grid, decrease the cost of electricity by vastly increasing the energy market suppliers could sell to / reducing transmission losses, decrease pollution, and increase the reliability of the electric grid.
Yes, it would be nice if we invested in our electric grid. Of course, that "green energy" will never be able to stabilize a grid without nuclear energy, which is constantly denied as a viable energy source, because the sun doesnt shine at night no matter how much you ask it to.
People aren't tired of the topic because climate change doesn't exist. People are tired because the blame gets shifted onto them, when they have no choice but to buy and use the energy-hungry pieces of crap pushed out by megacorporations that actually have the power to do something. Most people just want to live a normal life without being blamed for the world's problems, that's all.
I'm tired of it being used as an excuse to rip apart parts of our lives with the claim of being benevolent. Yes, the climate is changing. No, it will not be the end of humanity. No, we do not need to rip our economy apart in 5 years to prevent the boogeyman of the rapture from taking us all. If environmentalists were pushing for more nuke plants to bring an end to natural gas and coal in our power grid, and advocating for a total grid rebuild alongside it to support things like EV mandates, I'd be a lot more supportive of their efforts.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I studied climate change in university. I learned that how it is presented to people by politicians is false and anti-science. It is a little bemusing when the doomsayers try to preach to people like myself that know 1000 times as much about the subject than they do. I studied my masters of science, they joined a cult.

I usually start by asking "is it hotter where you live now than before" and then I prove that it is not. Then I talk about how the "average temperature" does not rise uniformly, more heat is felt at night time, and at the poles of the earth, not during your daytime maximum. At that point they usually show their ignorance by failing to understand such a simple explanation as that, because the media told them otherwise, it must be happening. Then I laugh.

I was laughing today at Microsoft's attempt to add green leaves to the "browser essentials" tab or to "save the earth with windows update". Then I laughed when I arrived at Heathrow Airport in England and saw giant signs about how my airport was carbon neutral. Ha.
Not to mention some airlines ask you to pay a small extra fee to make your flight more "carbon neutral". Sure, for an extra 30 quid, the plane will suddenly stop emitting CO2, and I'll totally believe it. :roll:

If that's how it works, everybody just give me a tenner, and I'll make sure the V-power I put in my 1.6 Turbo is as carbon neutral as any V-power can get. Pinky promise. :laugh:

This is what gaslights a sane person, not the topic of climate change.

Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm tired of it being used as an excuse to rip apart parts of our lives with the claim of being benevolent. Yes, the climate is changing. No, it will not be the end of humanity. No, we do not need to rip our economy apart in 5 years to prevent the boogeyman of the rapture from taking us all. If environmentalists were pushing for more nuke plants to bring an end to natural gas and coal in our power grid, and advocating for a total grid rebuild alongside it to support things like EV mandates, I'd be a lot more supportive of their efforts.
Agreed. As for me, I'm just tired of being used as a culprit of something I have little to no control over.

Yes, I have to drive a car to work, holidays, etc. No, I can't charge an EV at home, nor can I afford to buy one. I have a fridge, an oven and a gas boiler. They work with gas and electricity from the grid. How they're produced is not my problem. I won't freeze to death in the winter just because power companies can't be asked not to use coal.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Status
Not open for further replies.