• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Quietly Refreshes Mobile GeForce RTX Graphics Cards

Oh, I'm sorry, allow me to rephrase; What else is there that actually competes in the mobile space?

Heh well Navi itself is competitive. But there are few to null design wins to be found on notebook space. And yeah I don't think AMD has yet to released whole Radeon navi mobile line up any way.
1586691108128.png

Heh well Navi itself is competitive. But there are few to null design wins to be found on notebook space. And yeah I don't think AMD has yet to released whole Radeon navi mobile line up any way.
While AMD does have something to offer, they do not compete with NVidia's mobile offerings. In the mobile space NVidia's GPU's are a solid step or three above AMD. In the desktop space they're but a short jump away from NVidia, but not in the mobile space currently. Do keep in mind that the Radeon 5600M and 5700M have not been released yet and therefore can not be considered.

Oh wow, trying a little too hard are we? A twitter post about a product that HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET... Such a convincing argument...

Fact 1. The 5600M is an unreleased product.
Fact 2. Because it is unreleased, it is not competing on the market yet.
Fact 3. Until it is released, NVidia is effectively the only game(pun intended) in town for the mobile space.
Fact 4. Until AMD releases the entire lineup of 5X00m products, NVidia will continue to dominate the mobile market.

End of line..

tarduq

I recently bought a dell g7 laptop with a 80w 2060 in it, and am hoping when these refreshed 2060's appear that I'll be able to flash to these new VBIOS's and hopefully get some performance from it. I have liquid metal on my card so it should be able to handle it I hope.

From what I read, though very little it seemed as if the memory is just clocked differently... im hoping we'll be able too anyway. What makes you say its very unlikely?
Your first limitation is that the host system is a Dell. Dell laptops with GPU's have the VBIOS worked into the system BIOS. They are not separate in most of their laptop models, so making changes to the VBIOS code will require modding the system BIOS. It's not just a straight up NVFlash procedure.

Your second limitation is cooling. The GPU cooler on that laptop is combined with the CPU cooling and has a very limited capacity. Any increase to the power of the GPU will create more heat and the system will begin throttling itself, which will negate any increased performance gained.

It's a slimline laptop. Be happy with it or buy a better laptop.

tarduq

Your first limitation is that the host system is a Dell. Dell laptops with GPU's have the VBIOS worked into the system BIOS. They are not separate in most of their laptop models, so making changes to the VBIOS code will require modding the system BIOS. It's not just a straight up NVFlash procedure.

Your second limitation is cooling. The GPU cooler on that laptop is combined with the CPU cooling and has a very limited capacity. Any increase to the power of the GPU will create more heat and the system will begin throttling itself, which will negate any increased performance gained.

It's a slimline laptop. Be happy with it or buy a better laptop.

I've actually flashed a higher tdp vbios unto the 2060 (from the original 80w to 90w) in my laptop so I know that its possible using NVFlash64. Also cooling might be an issue but with a 90w bios and overclocked as much as it can go with moderate fans it only hits about 70-75c as I put liquid metal on the gpu and cpu.

if it is possible to flash to these higher tdp bios versions it would be awesome for people who can do it as it would help quite a bit with performance... I see a few laptops like the walmart brand and the eluktonics that manage desktop clocks but im not sure if they have much better cooling then most laptops..

I've actually flashed a higher tdp vbios unto the 2060 (from the original 80w to 90w) in my laptop so I know that its possible using NVFlash64.
Ok, that's cool! Dell has made a change, I like it(clearly wasn't aware of it, will need to do some research). And very nice.
Also cooling might be an issue but with a 90w bios and overclocked as much as it can go with moderate fans it only hits about 70-75c as I put liquid metal on the gpu and cpu.
Also very cool(pin intended)! If you're getting that kind of performance, I say more power to you!