• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Reserves NVLink Support For The RTX 3090

This is better for gamers and gaming.
I am still feeling bad for the rich fellows who will get more than one 3090 and will ruin their gaming experience just for benchmarks and higher but stuttering frame rates

RoyTyrell

yes, Huang can’t sleep at night because he’s afraid someone will use 3080 or god forbid 3070 for professional machine learning activities. Don’t be ridiculous.

I wouldn’t say they’re “worried” - that implies way too much drama.

But I do think they are reserving scalable compute for their quadro and enterprise lineup.

fyi: pcie peering went away in the 2000 series of GeForce line

If you buy RTX 3090 for gaming, something is wrong with you. I don't care if you are rich. It just means you are a fool with too much money. It's a card for professional use and you would be better off just buying RTX 3080, watercooling it and OC-ing the shit out of it. Btw. does anyone doubt that there will be RTX 3080 Ti?

Nvidia always evolves the top GPUs of any architecture to drive more sales from those who want the best. It may be the vanilla 3090 first, then 3090ti then maybe some Titan model or something - just to keep people spending.

Huge margins on those top chips. If people are going to spend like that, why not?

D

Deleted member 177333

Ya it's too bad. I've been running multi GPU setups here and there for many years. Started many years ago nervously (since I'd heard of people running into trouble with multi card setups) running a couple mid-range AMD cards in Crossfire and was getting better performance than the big dog card at the time in virtually every game I had for less money. I eventually migrated to NVidia with a pair of 780 Ti cards, then Maxwell Titans, and now 1080 Ti cards. Without multi GPU I wouldn't have been able to game at the resolution and framerates I've become accustomed to. Was even considering moving to 5k or 8k within the next year but without mGPU support there really is no point, I'll just stay on 4k like I have been for a while longer. I occasionally see folks mention stuttering...I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I've never seen stutter in any of my games using mGPU - I usually lock them in at 4k / 60fps with Vsync and have excellent performance, and just an all-around fantastic experience in terms of games being smooth and responsive.

Until now I've never even considered not running multi GPU. We'll see what the performance numbers actually look like with the 3090 to see if it actually justifies its pricetag or if it's as ludicrous as the Titan RTX. I'll either pickup a pair of used 2080 Tis from Ebay to make it through one more generation, or bite the bullet and move to just one 3090. We shall see. I like having options, so definitely sad to see mGPU get phased out.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
SLI started dying when people started investigating frame pacing and frametime consistency because of the microstuttering, and then the shift to Freesync/GSync was the nail in the coffin.

Now that almost no game engines even offer SLI support it's amazing that Nvidia even offer it as an option at all.

Processor 7700 Kaby "baeby" @ 4.5 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA IX
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 980 Ti SC+
Storage EVO 512 gb
Display(s) 240 Hz
Case ANTEC Twelve Hundred
Power Supply EVGA 1300 Supernova
Mouse Coolermaster Master Mouse MM710
Keyboard Steelseries 6gv2
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Higher than the Light of Revanchist
Nothing wrong with buying a gaming graphics card for gaming. Thats why I'm getting the 3090. If there's something stupid about that than you're from Mars

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
Cooling NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 4000Mhz CL18
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X
Storage Two WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Acer XB273K 2160p 120hz, LG GX OLED 55", Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q, LG 32UN650-W coming in september
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) KANTO YU2 White, Beyerdynamic 177X GO
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Titanium
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard RAMA U-80 Lake with MX Zilents 205g0'ed, ePBT BoW
Software Windows 10 Pro
Big Navi or whatever Radeon group comes out with might have HBM2. Good news for GPU render rigs.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
SLI started dying when people started investigating frame pacing and frametime consistency because of the microstuttering, and then the shift to Freesync/GSync was the nail in the coffin.

Now that almost no game engines even offer SLI support it's amazing that Nvidia even offer it as an option at all.

now we've gone to overall "end system latency"

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
SLI I've had for ages, but never had too many issues with it. I think it's sad they are taking it away and that games companies aren't making the most of it. I think it's an untapped resource which we are loosing out on, to just put it on the top end card is crazy to me.. I love SLI or Crossfire. I have a big case and would love two cards in there over one, it would look stupid with one lol Still... We'll see what the reviews do for the various cards and go from there..... :)

Hmmm SLI or buy a used Car.

3 grand plus tax and thats US btw.

4000.00 canadian for that in SLI plus tax is about 4500. Ya no thanks. I could buy almost 2 cars for that price.

Funny thing about that is I have played games IN SLI even if the game did not support it. It's always on reguardless. Heck even Old games work with it.

This was leaked as well. It's a new kind of SLI explicitly for this card that they are probably testing. If they want to do it, it should be better supported and scale better but at this point, we don't know much about this new version. If it actually works better, we will definitely see Multi-GPU coming back.

ElementalFade

If you buy RTX 3090 for gaming, something is wrong with you. I don't care if you are rich. Btw. does anyone doubt that there will be RTX 3080 Ti?

The 3090 is the 3080 to. They said they would stop doing the ti and even Titan naming schemes. I don't see how something is wrong with if you get the rtx 3090. If you have a lot of money, it not like the A100. If you bought an A100 GPU for gaming then that's just hilarious. Honestly the 3090 is cheap if the performance is going to be projected to be. The rich are often not practical and that's often how they got their cash... and how they loose it sometimes.

Does anyone still care about mGPU?
The tech never lived up to its initial promises (anyone remembers "don't get rid of your old video card, just install a new one on the side and enjoy"?) and support was always spotty.
To achieve 4K 60-120 we did care about SLI in Pascal-Turing period.
But now single RTX3080 KOs 2080Ti x2 SLI so if we don’t want 8K gaming performance then no SLI is OK now.

To achieve 4K 60-120 we did care about SLI in Pascal-Turing period.
But now single RTX3080 KOs 2080Ti x2 SLI so if we don’t want 8K gaming performance then no SLI is OK now.
It wouldn't KO 2080Ti x2 SLI if SLI scaled x2 as it should. SLI scales horribly and this is a new version of SLI, so we don't know how this one will scale performance. It was leaked long before launch and they just said it's going to be different.

Dux

I would buy 2 if it actually helped with games. But I like your statement, fool with too much money. So your saying that an extra $1000 on an over powered gpu is a fool with too much money. Can I ask how much money you make yearly so I can understand where your ignorance comes from?
Hey buddy, if you want to pay like 114% more for a card that according to specs isn't a lot faster than RTX 3080, it's your money. But in my eyes, you are a fool with too much money. :roll:
And what does it matter how much i earn yearly? I work for a living and because of that i understand the value of money. You sound like a rich snob, or some kid whose parents still pay for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Hey buddy, if you want to pay like 114% more for a card that according to specs isn't a lot faster than RTX 3080, it's your money. But in my eyes, you are a fool with too much money. :roll:
And what does it matter how much i earn yearly? I work for a living and because of that i understand the value of money. You sound like a rich snob, or some kid whose parents still pay for everything.
The 3090 exists for VRAM quantity. At the moment, 10GB seems to be enough for games but I'm willing to bet that 3080 users will not be able to run games at 4K max settings for more than a year or two.
Of course, Nvidia's plan at that point is to sell you a new $900 card.

Dux

Lol I made 35k this month. And I have no degree, fuck what you think and know, get it how you live bro. $1k ain't shit for building a dream computer. Don't feel sorry for you
So, YOU ARE a rich snob. Otherwise you wouldn't brag about that in this way. From time to time i see comments on web from people like you. You're either indeed a rich snob, spoiled brat, or full of shit.
Either way, a fool. Money doesn't buy intelligence. God knows the world isn't fair and there's too many stupid people out there with lots of money. Especially today with internet being omnipresent.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
As someone who used to run multi-gpu setups (Recently 3 R9 290X's) and went to a single GPU I don't see this as a problem anymore. Honestly the support has become garbage and no-one really wants to implement it in a meaningful way especially recently so it makes sense reserving this for the highest end semi-pro card.

I would have a different opinion if I saw developers and games that were supporting multi-GPU in a significant way like they were back back around 2013 (Meaning at least alot of the AAA games having some support) but recently I cant even name a game off the top of my head other than BFV that had any support (And even then it was not great).

Schitti

So, YOU ARE a rich snob. Otherwise you wouldn't brag about that in this way. From time to time i see comments on web from people like you. You're either indeed a rich snob, spoiled brat, or full of shit.
Either way, a fool. Money doesn't buy intelligence. God knows the world isn't fair and there's too many stupid people out there with lots of money. Especially today with internet being omnipresent.
Worked hard and got to where I want to be, rich snob lol. Work harder in life bro you'll get what you want..

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
No need to call people names. When income goes up, you inevitably see the world differently. Remember, the true price of any purchase is its opportunity cost. With more $$$ on hand, that opportunity cost goes down. By a lot.
I.e. some people won't be able to pay for housing if they purchase a 3090, some people can buy a 3090 and still have the $$$ to buy a car/yacht.

Telling someone they aren't wealthy because they haven't worked hard is calling them names: lazy and stupid.

As someone who busted his backside for years trying to rise socially I can tell anyone who wants to know about the reality of compensation vs. the hardness of one's work.

Yep SLI now only for the rich. Remember when Nvidia allowed SLI for the middle class and the poor. Good times then also Nvidia was built for gamers now Nvidia Built for the Rich.

Worked hard and got to where I want to be, rich snob lol. Work harder in life bro you'll get what you want..

One thing I have learned in life is you can be at the top of your game make 35k a month and the next year lose it all and make less than 1500 a month. Nothing lasts forever no matter how hard you work for it. In 2014 I was there money flowed like crazy I was happy things were going my way for the first time in life. Was about to buy a house and was growing my income more every month. Then some shit happened lost the business because of stupid landlords kicked me out. could not find another place with low overhead to keep business going. 6 month later lost my father to a heart attack. Took 2 years to get back to that happiness again. Got a high paying job got back out of debt went on a vacation in 2017. Then after vacation company I was working for got bought out. I was making 35 an hour and they asked me to work for half my wage What a freaking Joke new company. Then lost my second backup income as well. Had to look for work again never found it so I had to Move to Montreal for work.

So ya learned nothing ever lasts. Enjoy it while you can. My new job In montreal works in Hotels, and IT administration for 100's of companies so I never lost my job during Covid19 but to move here and get settled I went 30K in debt. Money is tight but I can afford the bills and food on table which is more important than gaming at this time.

As someone who used to run multi-gpu setups (Recently 3 R9 290X's) and went to a single GPU I don't see this as a problem anymore. Honestly the support has become garbage and no-one really wants to implement it in a meaningful way especially recently so it makes sense reserving this for the highest end semi-pro card.

I would have a different opinion if I saw developers and games that were supporting multi-GPU in a significant way like they were back back around 2013 (Meaning at least alot of the AAA games having some support) but recently I cant even name a game off the top of my head other than BFV that had any support (And even then it was not great).
You meant BF1, because BFV doesn't support multi-gpus

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
Another stunt pulled by nGreedia ...

D

Deleted member 177333

If they end up releasing a 3080 Ti, I wonder if it will have multi gpu support. Seems like there's a perfect slot for a card that performs somewhere between the 3080 and 3090 but has maybe 12-16GB of VRAM.