• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA to Tune GTX 970 Resource Allocation with Driver Update

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The problem that I think many non-owners can't seem to grasp (and as shown in the videos kindly posted above) is not that general performance hasn't changed, as you're right it doesn't change the performance shown at launch. The problem is the transition from the 3.5GB to .5GB segment causes stutter. This is very real and it is extremely annoying. This was not showcased/highlighted in many (any?) reviews, perhaps as they didn't think to look for it or saw any potential hiccups as some other personal anomaly. Maybe most tested it at resolutions that could be contained within 3.5GB (again, this is a great 1080p->1440p card as it is), or scenarios the core was bottlenecked before vram became the bottleneck. The fact remains, there are scenarios where the core can put up with gaming scenarios that would utilize that partition for a fluid experience (in essence I disagree with many that say it is moot because it can't). There are instances where the bottleneck is that .5GB, or rather switching to it causes stutter (ie resolutions/settings in Mordor that would otherwise run solidly above 30fps, I'm sure there are others) and that is a problem, especially because we were lied to about it's capabilities. Had we known about that, it may have caused some people to buy a 290x, as at higher resolutions (while otherwise a similar-performing core) the AMD cards will not have this problem. I have said it about 37 times in this thread: no 290(x) would fit in my case; the 970 is the best option for me regardless. That doesn't change the fact the stutter is annoying.

I've been playing FC4@1440p MSAA4 since I got my GTX970(and on my 4GB 670s before that). Memory usage is often over 3.7GB, the stuttering really isn't bad, or even noticeable. The odd thing is those videos show the GPU usage drop to 0% when the stuttering happens, and that doesn't happen with my card. The GPU usage is pegged at 100% always.

Plus there were plenty of opportunities where this should have come up in the reviews. W1z did a lot of testing at 4k with the card both single card and SLI. You'd think he would have mentioned the stuttering instead of praising the card as a great card for 4k. He even tested BF4 and Watch_Dogs at 4k, both of which I know use more than 3.5GB.

Last edited:
Plus there were plenty of opportunities where this should have come up in the reviews. W1z did a lot of testing at 4k with the card both single card and SLI. You'd think he would have mentioned the stuttering instead of praising the card as a great card for 4k. He even tested BF4 and Watch_Dogs at 4k, both of which I know use more than 3.5GB.

Might just be a bechmarks suite he lets run and gets FPS results since I don't recall W1zzard ever commenting about playability experience in his reviews. Maybe outside of his reviews from personal experience but he hasn't commented has he ?

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
I've never experienced the so called Radeon black screen hardlock *knocks wood* but that doesn't mean every other guy that has had that problem is lying or delusional. Not everyone could be experiencing a problem even if their setups are similar.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Cooling AC NexXxos XT45 360, RayStorm, D5T+XSPC tank, Tygon R-3603, Bitspower
Memory 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600C8
Video Card(s) GTX 780 SLI (EVGA SC ACX + Giga GHz Ed.)
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Display(s) Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSMS (2560x1440) S-IPS
Case NZXT Switch 810
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek yawn edition
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050
Software Win8.1 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3.5 litres of Pale Ale in 18 minutes.
I've been playing FC4@1440p MSAA4 since I got my GTX970(and on my 4GB 670s before that). Memory usage is often over 3.7GB, the stuttering really isn't bad, or even noticeable. The odd thing is those videos show the GPU usage drop to 0% when the stuttering happens, and that doesn't happen with my card. The GPU usage is pegged at 100% always.

HardOCP did some pretty intensive 4K benchmarks using SLI at max playable settings, and also didn't really find that much discrepancy in playability, and they pegged the 970 setup between the 290X and 290 Crossfire. Techspot also did 4K testing with SLI. Funnily enough I mentioned the lack of texture fill vs the 980 in the comments (as dividebyzero, post #2).
It is definitely going to come down to games/image quality on a case by case basis

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290

who ever says spending all that money on a 4k gaming rig is on crack and didnt test enough games.. hell no 4gb is not enough.. I dont play games with no low standards.. If I spend thousands of dollars I dont want just high settings with busted minimum frames.
I have two 1080p monitors.. 60hz-144hz and there is no going back to a lower refresh rate for me just so I can have a pixel density that matters at like what 40in or more.. more like a tv.

System Name MASTER
Processor Core i7 3930k run at 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV extreme
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4G kingston hyperx beast 2400mhz
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX680
Storage 2X Crusial M4 256g raid0, 1TbWD g, 2x500 WD B
Display(s) Samsung 27' 1080P LED 3D monitior 2ms
Case CoolerMaster Chosmos II
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster X-FI Titanum champion,Creative speakers 7.1 T7900
Power Supply Corsair 1200i, Logitch G500 Mouse, headset Corsair vengeance 1500
Software Win7 64bit Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3d mark 2011: testing
bohaha most ever funny video about 970 vram

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
I just saw this on twitter, not sure what to make of it.

I truly wish large corporations realized a little a honesty/culpability can go a long way towards customer loyalty.
This is an unfortunately ebb-and-flow at companies, especially those corporations that are compelled to demonstrate qtr-qtr gains.

AMD seems to have treaded discreetly and certainly shouldn't be seen as "piling-on"... even that "4 GB means 4 GB" is too much. They should know dang well (as any smart company knows) this kind of "Doh" moment could be just around the corner, while they don't want to see their past digressions dredged-up in such conversations.

Honestly, Dave Baumann (and not finding for sure he’s still with AMD) comment was perhaps more that companies don't have to tell us or right to know saying, "Fundamental interconnects within a GPU are not the parts that are ever discussed, because largely they aren't necessary to know about; additionally ASIC "harvesting". In and of itself he’s right, as long as specifications presented are correct and/or the information provide isn't a pretense for concealling such weaknesses. It's was reckless in this case, because this was something that consumers might encounter as he said, "understandable that this would be "discovered" by end users."

Any company especially at such a level must maintain an ethical rapport, not just for the end-user customer, but for their overall long-term health in other segments. As it might have an adverse effect on OE's consideration for engineered solution provider, and professional markets.

System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Storage Kingston HyperX SSD (128) OS, WD RE4 (1TB), RE2 (1TB), Cav. Black (2 x 500GB), Red (4TB)
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
This is an unfortunately ebb-and-flow at companies, especially those corporations that are compelled to demonstrate qtr-qtr gains.
AMD seems to have treaded discreetly and certainly shouldn't be seen as "piling-on"... even that "4 GB means 4 GB" is too much. They should know dang well (as any smart company knows) this kind of "Doh" moment could be just around the corner, while they don't want to see their past digressions dredged-up in such conversations.
That's kind of what I was alluding to earlier. Not sure whether if its budget cuts/R&D trimming, or just the effort needed to get the console APU parts to market, but AMD are starting to fall behind in some of the very time sensitive markets they've targeted. As an example (there are others but I won't spoil the need to play tech detective), AMD's push into ARM servers - the reason they acquired SeaMicro- seems to be leading to a climb down from earlier lofty claims. Remember that Seattle (Opteron A1100 series) was due in the second half of 2014 fully wired for SeaMicro's Freedom Fabric interconnect? A few months later and Freedom Fabric was quietly dumped from at least the first generation, and while the development kits have been around since mid-2014, Seattle is for the most part still MIA - delayed (according to AMD) because of a lack of software support.
Honestly, Dave Baumann (and not finding for sure he’s still with AMD) comment was perhaps more that companies don't have to tell us or right to know saying, "Fundamental interconnects within a GPU are not the parts that are ever discussed, because largely they aren't necessary to know about; additionally ASIC "harvesting". In and of itself he’s right, as long as specifications presented are correct and/or the information provide isn't a pretense for concealling such weaknesses. It's was reckless in this case, because this was something that consumers might encounter as he said, "understandable that this would be "discovered" by end users."
I think Dave was alluding to the sensitivity of the information to other vendors (AMD specifically in this case) as well as the mainstream user base, because widely publicizing the information would allow AMD an insight into Nvidia's binning strategy. If the dies/defects per wafer and wafer cost are known, it becomes a relatively easy task to estimate yields of any ASIC. To use the previous example, AMD are similarly tight-lipped about Seattle's cache coherency network protocol, even though it is supposedly a shipping product. The problem with tech is that that industrial secrecy has a tendency to spill over into the consumer arena - some more disastrously than others, where it invariably comes to light because it is in the nature of tech enthusiasts to tinker and experiment ( as example- albeit very minor in the greater scheme of things; it wasn't AMD that alerted the community that their APUs perform worse with single rank memory DIMMs)
Any company especially at such a level must maintain an ethical rapport, not just for the end-user customer, but for their overall long-term health in other segments. As it might have an adverse effect on OE's consideration for engineered solution provider, and professional markets.
Agreed, but I think the ethical relationship between vendor and OEM/ODM only extends as far as it costing either of them money. Hardware components have such a quick product cycle that individual issues - even major ones like Nvidia's eutectic underfill problem, tend to pass from the greater consumer consciousness fairly quickly. I would hazard a guess, and say that 90% or more of consumer computer electronics buyers couldn't tell you anything substantive about the issue, or any of the others that have befallen vendors (FDIV, f00f, TLB, Enduro, GSoD, Cougar Point SATA, AMD Southbridge I/O and god knows how many others). What does stick in the public consciousness are patterns (repeat offending), so for Nvidia's sake (and any other vendor caught in the same mire) it has to become a lesson learned - and nothing makes a vendor take notice quicker than a substantial hit to the pocketbook.

System Name Home Brewed
Processor i9-7900X and i7-8700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme & ASUS Prime Z-370 A
Cooling Corsair 280mm AIO & Thermaltake Water 3.0
Memory 64GB DDR4-3000 GSKill RipJaws-V & 32GB DDR4-3466 GEIL Potenza
Video Card(s) 2X-GTX-1080 SLI & 2 GTX-1070Ti 8GB G1 Gaming in SLI
Storage Both have 2TB HDDs for storage, 480GB SSDs for OS, and 240GB SSDs for Steam Games
Display(s) ACER 28" B286HK 4K & Samsung 32" 1080P
Case NZXT Source 540 & Rosewill Rise Chassis
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM1000 & Corsair RM850
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament & Corsair K90
Software Win-10 Professional
Benchmark Scores yes
System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
System Name MoneySink
Processor 2600K @ 4.8
Motherboard P8Z77-V
Case NZXT Switch 810
Software Win8.1 Pro
So basically G-sync is like FreeSync, just that nVidia developed a module that enabled DP1.2a features on non DP1.2a displays??? Judging by the article that seems to be the case.
Seems to be, which would make sense since AMD didn't request the Adaptive Sync addition to the DisplayPort spec until after G-Sync launched.

We will eventually discover that Nvidia sink method is different than DP 1.2a+ and why it disables audio.