• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA: Turing Adoption Rate 45% Higher Than Pascal, 90% of Users Buying Upwards in Graphics Product Tiers

Try doing the math yourself and get back to me I would really hate to have to post a picture of the windows calculator.
No, he's right. You need to take a closer look.

My EVGA 1080 was about $650 new when I bought it. My EVGA 2080 was about $750 new. People are whining about prices being awful when they really aren't. Those whiners only need to save up a little bit more money. Big deal.

For reference,
Zotac 2080 $699
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500459
Zotac 2080Ti $1199
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1FT-000M-00199
The difference between these two cards illustrates what has always happened in the video card market and the PC parts market in general.

This is no different from the 8800GT->8800Ultra. The difference in price was $450 for less than 20% performance boost.

Don't want to pay the premium price for a premium card? Buy the 2080, OC it and save yourself some money.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Yeah but that was also a time when technological innovations were 'easy'.
That's not even an argument, technological advances where always difficult if it was easy we would have had 970's in 2005 new processes and fabs have always cost more.
Maybe the 20xx series is a fluke like some of the other cards on that chart with the wildly inflated price and the 30xx series will be more reasonable once the tech is mature, I dont know but Nvidia seems to indicate they are happy with $999 being the price for the flagship card.

I was actually serious, but I'm sorry, I don't have time to educate you on inflation.
I dont know what your problem is the numbers are right there in your chart I clearly stated that I used the 2017 cost in my initial post
Anyway you want to break it down the the math says the average of the "price January 2017 dollars" is $634.50
Is the chart wrong ? is 2017 dollars column not accounting for inflation ?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Personally I'm all for Nvidia charging "midrange" prices for their cards that use "midrange" chips, I say what $250/300 max for that midrange 2080, it would be both great and hilarious at the same time.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
I would felt like fool to pay RTX Series.
And that was first time that I say for some graphic card series.

NVIDIA is full of manipulation to hide truth. Inversion of reality become one of their main strategy.
Last 5-6 years I talk no way to buy AMD in this situations.
Now I only 10-20% better card for same money would be enough to invest in Radeon rather than Turing.
But I have GPU and no need for new.

Love my RTX2080. Came from a GTX980.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
People keep mentioning inflation... I am sorry, but paying for the best nvidia card in 2006 versus now IS NOT just an inflation difference.

In 2006, we had 8800GTX (top of the line) and it was about $650. That inflates to about $795 today. The cheapest 2080 Ti right now on Amazon is $1,290. That is a whopping $500 icing on the cake after adjusted inflation.

Skip to one year later with the 8800 Ultra which was about $830. That inflates to about $1,025. Again, the 2080 Ti still demands >$260 after adjusted inflation. Do note that $1,290 is being conservative!

You aren't doing yourself any favors by justifying the purchase of that overpriced card. Just stop already. Lying to yourself is a great disservice among other things...

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
Personally I'm
You are one of those dudes that make me wish AMD graphics never recovers and Lisa's #leatherman uncle pwns you harder and harder.

AMD clearly struggles on GPU department, Vega 7 is bad for the company, it is expensive to produce and is to be priced to be barely competitive, which is quite unusual for AMD.

Bringing it up in this thread is more of a declaration of own mental capacity.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
I'm not bothered by the prices really, just pointing out Nvidia not charging lower prices for their "midrange" GPUs is probably doing AMD a favour, as you say they would be f'ed.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
I'm not bothered by the prices really, just pointing out Nvidia not charging lower prices for their "midrange" GPUs is probably doing AMD a favour, as you say they would be f'ed.
It's a very low volume card hardly having any real impact.

People keep mentioning inflation... I am sorry, but paying for the best nvidia card in 2006 versus now IS NOT just an inflation difference.

In 2006, we had 8800GTX (top of the line) and it was about $650. That inflates to about $795 today. The cheapest 2080 Ti right now on Amazon is $1,290. That is a whopping $500 icing on the cake after adjusted inflation.

Skip to one year later with the 8800 Ultra which was about $830. That inflates to about $1,025. Again, the 2080 Ti still demands >$260 after adjusted inflation. Do note that $1,290 is being conservative!
The least expensive I found on Amazon was $1170. Same with Newegg. Example;
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAZU8SX5634
Sorry your logic is otherwise incorrect as well.
You aren't doing yourself any favors by justifying the purchase of that overpriced card.
We're not trying to justify it. We don't have to. We don't make the decisions on pricing. NVidia does. All I tried to do was explain it and help bring examples of the past to the discussion so people can stop bemoaning and whining something that has happened before, will always happen and that it's the nature of business; sell a premium product for a premium price.
Just stop already.
Take your own advice.
Lying to yourself is a great disservice among other things...
That's not what's happening. We're just recognizing historical trends for what they are, recognizing NVidia is a business, in business to make money and is pricing their products according to what they want to make money. If you, or anyone else, doesn't like that, don't buy their cards. Go get something else or get a console.

You are one of those dudes that make me wish AMD graphics never recovers and Lisa's #leatherman uncle pwns you harder and harder.

AMD clearly struggles on GPU department, Vega 7 is bad for the company, it is expensive to produce and is to be priced to be barely competitive, which is quite unusual for AMD.

Bringing it up in this thread is more of a declaration of own mental capacity.
You need to stop trolling and acting like a child.

I don't recall seeing any msrp drops. What I see is price gouging ending.

In 25+ years of PC building, always considered MSRP to be a non factor ... once on the market, the price will be "what the market will bear"

980 Ti is costing 420$ with import and shipping, that's all you need to know :)

$130 on ebay

Nvidia has been overcharging for midrange GPUs for 7 years now. It's gotten ridiculous with the 2080 (non-Ti) and if gamers keep going along with their shenanigans then it will just get worse unless Intel enters the ring with reasonable prices next year. I think Intel will offer competition with Nvidia but the prices may be ridiculous too.

Why ? .... a) because they can B) the price is simply what folks are willing to pay and c) to do otherwise is fiscal malfeasance. Gaming cards are not "necessities of life". People are buying "phones" that cost $1,000 .... a phone is pretty much a necessity in the modern world, a $1000 game boy that also makes phone calls is not. Folks are willing to pay that much for their own reasons. If you are selling water in an emergency for $5 a bottle, you are overcharging. But that's what our economic system is based upon; not charity. My father always said "In my day for a nickel you get see a movie and get a hot dog and a soda" ..... or ... "In my day for a nickel you'd get a movie and an irish girl" which he'd switch to when mom was in earshot :)

Corporate boards have a fiscal responsibility to maximize shareholder profit. When the cards were selling faster than they could supply them, prices will rise. You can't make money on what you don't have to sell. You can't sell cards when your competitions offers more performance for the same price so the proce is set by what the customer cnsider's relative vaue.

Last edited:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Buying an overprice nvidia card is one thing. Justifying it with "inflation" arguments is another.

If I have to pay for a card that the market refuses to provide a good deal on, then I will simply acknowledge that a gamer has gotta do what a gamer has gotta do.

What I am not going to do is blow smoke up my own ass or especially others to feel better about the purchase by justifying it with nonsense. That only influences everyone else towards being a good little consumer whore which society loves to be these days.

There is no instruction on inflation to be given efi; I layed it all out for you so your argument fell flat.

Last edited: